IGNORED

Ade Akinbiyi or Fammy Diedhiou?

reddogkev

Loved akinbiyi. Big shoes to fill as he was ultimately Goater's replacement from the season before. Worked very hard and scored plenty in a team that fought relegation from day one. 

Always thought he was unfairly criticised when he left us and played in the prem. Work ethic never changed, always chased down, always made runs. 

Would have liked to have seen him up front with Thorpe more that season. Think they'd have worked well together if given more game time. Not that it would have improved the defence what with Taylor being injured for as long as he was. 

Ade was fantastic player for us, was it Gillingham he came to us from?  However after he left us never really happened for him. 
At Leicester did he not acquire a rather unfortunate nick name of ‘Ade F*****g bad buy’ when he couldn’t score. 
for us top player, a fans writing comments on rocks at the Portway pleading with him to stay....., remember that ?

9 hours ago, reddogkev said:

The only African strikers I can recall playing for City (or at least the most expensive two anyway) - who would you rather have in the team now?

Both big, powerful, handfuls with the heart of a lion - but also with their own differing qualities.

I loved Ade even though we were relegated in his time, and I also bloody love Fam.

There's a gun to your head - who you going to pick?

I'm going for Akinbiyi - scored a load of goals if I remember rightly - but also missed a fair few, I'll grant you that.

Ade. 

57 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Looking at how history appears to be judging Akinbiyi, It looks like I’ll be in the minority, but Fam for me.

Always a huge dose of nostalgia when looking at things like this. I suppose it depends on what age we were at the time. I was in my early teens so probably saw it differently that that of someone who was in their mid twenties or older. 

When he went to wolves the following season, he was their top goalscorer that year, plus he was Gillingham's top scorer the season before he came to us. 

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

Ade was fantastic player for us, was it Gillingham he came to us from?  However after he left us never really happened for him. 
At Leicester did he not acquire a rather unfortunate nick name of ‘Ade F*****g bad buy’ when he couldn’t score. 
for us top player, a fans writing comments on rocks at the Portway pleading with him to stay....., remember that ?

Don’t forget he went to Wolves where he was their top scorer... if I remember correctly...

Gills > City 1.2m

City > Wolves 3.5m

Wolves > Leicester 5m

5 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I really liked Adebola, didn’t score bags of goals but excellent hold up play.

To right Russell85. Imagine what a younger version of him would be worth in today’s market. We saw him in twilight of his career.  Yep. A guy when the ball came stuck to him.

going back in time we have been blessed with some amazing strikers. John Galley. My era when I started. Mick Hartford.  I recall saying at the time he will play for England he was that good for us in a poor struggling team.  And he did, albeit one cap 

Ade. Without a shadow of a doubt.

We were at Crewe when relegation was confirmed. Ran all night long. Ok he probably wanted away but he put effort in.

And Scott D was in the crowd. Amongst fans......

Wonder if Mr L would be doing the same if we were ever in the same position again......

13 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Panic-buyi I believe it was

Archived