IGNORED

Fort William FC ... dealing with their ‘ultras’ (Merged)

BS4 on Tour...

• The title was changed to Fort William FC ... dealing with their ‘ultras’ (Merged)
3 hours ago, S25loyal said:

I expect they haven’t done anything more than young lads trying to enjoy themselves. 

The problem with that statement is that they are also probably taking no account of others whilst ‘enjoying’ themselves......football ‘concourse culture’ being a prime example....

1 hour ago, Ian66 said:

The problem with that statement is that they are also probably taking no account of others whilst ‘enjoying’ themselves......football ‘concourse culture’ being a prime example....

I think it’s sadly sums up a lot of youth culture now days as practically everything “isn’t allowed “. You speak to any of the “older generation” and you have a lot of phases that people latched onto, mods rockers casuals rave scene, even to an extent the moped craze of the mid 2000s. 

Now there isn’t anything like that for young lads growing up, you speak of concourse culture, it’s there as people can no longer express themselves on terraces it’s the only place people can meet up etc with mates. Even city now have taken away unreserved seating etc. 

Take the last World Cup, literally a couple of smoke bombs , a few lads very slightly boisterous at the gate and people were calling for bans , arrests etc.

There is a reason why so many kids are getting caught up in gangs etc. 

What do these young lads at Fort William have to do now? No youth clubs, probably too young to legally drink I imagine. Stand around the council estate getting bored I would imagine?

1 hour ago, S25loyal said:

I think it’s sadly sums up a lot of youth culture now days as practically everything “isn’t allowed “. You speak to any of the “older generation” and you have a lot of phases that people latched onto, mods rockers casuals rave scene, even to an extent the moped craze of the mid 2000s. 

Now there isn’t anything like that for young lads growing up, you speak of concourse culture, it’s there as people can no longer express themselves on terraces it’s the only place people can meet up etc with mates. Even city now have taken away unreserved seating etc. 

Take the last World Cup, literally a couple of smoke bombs , a few lads very slightly boisterous at the gate and people were calling for bans , arrests etc.

What do these young lads at Fort William have to do now? No youth clubs, probably too young to legally drink I imagine. Stand around the council estate getting bored I would imagine?

If someone thinks chucking a pint all over someone else when they’ve got no way of getting cleaned up for hours is fun then crack on......I’m happy to share with you personally my reaction to getting a pint of beer chucked over me on the concourse,....which is to get a bovril and chuck it over in the direction of where the pint came from

1 hour ago, Ian66 said:

If someone thinks chucking a pint all over someone else when they’ve got no way of getting cleaned up for hours is fun then crack on......I’m happy to share with you personally my reaction to getting a pint of beer chucked over me on the concourse,....which is to get a bovril and chuck it over in the direction of where the pint came from

Trouble is, in the old days there was no 'concourse culture' because instead likeminded fans would gather behind the goal or wherever else in the ground and make merry there. If that wasn't your scene, you'd sit or stand elsewhere. Now you're not so much allowed to squeak inside a ground without getting turfed out. As a result, the concourse is now the outlet for the younger more boisterous element.

If people were actually allowed to have a laugh in the stands it wouldn't happen. You can blame the clubs, police, stewards and law for this development in stadium mechanics, not a bunch of lads who just want to have a sing song and a bounce with their mates - that's all part of being young and supporting your team. Good on 'em. 

9 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Wish I could be accompanied with my old dad...................love him to be at the Gate with me again like when I was a boy 

feel your pain. My Dad passed away in 2017 and my Mum in January. Might sound stupid but I still can't bring myself to delete their telephone number

4 hours ago, S25loyal said:

Having been lucky (or unlucky?!) enough to have been to Fort William, being an 'ultra' is probably all they have.  There is precious little else to do.

7 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

feel your pain. My Dad passed away in 2017 and my Mum in January. Might sound stupid but I still can't bring myself to delete their telephone number

I'm right with you @Sweeneys Penalties, my Mum passed away in 2007 and I've still got her mobile no in my phone.

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Thanks SP. The old man first took me to AG in 1958 in front of the Old Stand standing me on a wooden stool he had made in the garage ! Mum passed at a young age in 1990 and dad followed in 1995. Fondest memory is going to Wembley as a family for Freight Rover v Bolton. They are always in your hearts so if you dont want to  delete their number................DONT......time will heal. Its not stupid.

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Having been lucky (or unlucky?!) enough to have been to Fort William, being an 'ultra' is probably all they have.  There is precious little else to do.

I believe there is a mountain close by they could climb (or rather walk using the well worn path). And down again. And up. Down, and so on. That should tucker out the young chaps...

On 06/03/2020 at 07:33, oldstandrobin said:

Wish I could be accompanied with my old dad...................love him to be at the Gate with me again like when I was a boy 

So true, Dave. Most of my fondest memories of City include the old man being at my side. Having passed in 99, he’s missed so much (two relegations included in that, unfortunately).

for those of you lucky enough to still go down to the Gate with your parent(s), treasure it. You literally don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone

12 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Sorry I've reached the end of my Bauhaus knowledge and I can't think of a way to shoehorn 'Ziggy Stardust' in!

Appreciate it means something different, but considering the high proportions of gingers and the weather up there, perhaps Mr Murphy and the ultras have a “snow white tan”  like Mr Stardust...

On the other hand, with high boredom levels and County lines reaching ever further, the original connotation might actually be correct, and even explain some of the behaviour!

On 05/03/2020 at 23:06, BS4 on Tour... said:

.....’accompanied by a parent’ ... that’s the way to put down the pathetic, modern Stone Island brigade wannabes....??✌️

Yes, it probably is. Most, if not all, of the boys/young men causing problems for wider society (ie "hooliganism," gangs etc) are crying out for what they desperately want and need from their (mostly) fathers but have not received. Not that they will know or admit this.

"Ultras" make huge "look at me/us!" displays, "aren't we noisy/amazing?!" but it is pitifully obvious who they truly, really wanted to notice them but never did in the way they needed.

16 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was there for a day a few years ago.

Longest week I`ve ever spent.

Did you go to the sheep dog exhibition? With the most surly sheepdog handler you could possibly imagine? By the end kids were crying and when he asked if anybody had “any QUESTIONS!”, everyone ran away quickly, rather than be barracked for talking to him. :) 

On 06/03/2020 at 17:11, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Something so “small” that I’d never considered and must be so difficult to do. I’m sorry for your losses, genuinely weld up at that ❤️

Archived