IGNORED

Who is your favourite ever Bristol City player?

Fordy62

At the time my "hero" player was Cheesley ( the ultimate "if only" player).

Ultimate favourite though has to be Gerry Gow - the heartbeat of the best City team Ive seen.

Interesting one Fordy - good q 

Its normally the best

Gerry Gow would be up there in the best but not a personal favourite 

The obvious that spring to mind for my City Life , and my favourite memories

Garland

The Cheese

Glyn Riley

Alan Walsh

Bob Taylor

Less  obvious but Basso , Martin Scott and Gary Shelton too

ohhh albeit a short visit but Andy Cole - on another planet to us

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Bradley Orr, Albert and an honourable mention for Mark Little.

Apart from Albert who was a joy to watch ,the others whist not the most talented gave everything and seemed to care about the club.

Interesting that most people are going for the passionate, hard workers who gave their all. 

Agree with your choices and I reckon I go back a little further so I’ll add (amongst others named elsewhere): Dave Smith, David Moyes, Nicky Morgan, Glyn Riley, Carl Shutt, Marvin Elliott, Flint, Shaun Taylor, Dele Adebola, Basso, Ayling, Wilbraham, Glenn “Psycho“ Humphries and more than any Bobby Hutchinson.

I could have named pretty much all of the double team. 

At certain times, each of those were the sort of players I enjoyed watching. Who is today’s version? I’m not sure there is one.... Korey Smith and Nathan Baker sort of get there but not really. Ohio for a couple of those characters playing tomorrow! 

For one season of absolute class, and being a nasty piece of work to go with it I've always said Paul Hartley. Odd choice and others like Louis Carey, currently Nathan Baker and a few of our goal scorers over the years have come close but Hartley always stands out in my mind.

Crumbs...

Diffetent players, different eras.

Looking back it’s almost never the ‘best’ player.

At the start, Super Bob & Mark Gavin

Then Martin Scott and Keith Welch

Paul Agostino was a cult hero amongst us 14/15 year olds.

This century, Scott Murray.

Overall for me, maybe Martin Scott.

Ive never actually supported anyone other than City but when he went to Sunderland, it’s the closest I’ve come. When he scored the penalty winner against the shitty Newcastle, at Rooker Park in their first meting back in Div 1, I was so happy.

Shaun Goater as it was the first season i can remember going to regularly.

I used to watch Mickey Bell play and try to emulate him on a Sunday morning.

The most I enjoyed watching a player was either Scott Murray or Marvin Elliott’s season where he was like having 3 central midfielders. He was everywhere.

11 minutes ago, grifty said:

Shaun Goater as it was the first season i can remember going to regularly.

I used to watch Mickey Bell play and try to emulate him on a Sunday morning.

The most I enjoyed watching a player was either Scott Murray or Marvin Elliott’s season where he was like having 3 central midfielders. He was everywhere.

I loved the Goat as well, a real hero of mine. I was so excited when we signed him, can remember reading it in the post.

What do you do?

I score goals

You don’t appear to be that quick

I score goals

Your touch is actually quite poor

I score goals

Technically you’re not great

I score goals and I’ll score goals at every level.

10 minutes ago, Firstyardleftinbed said:

Honourable mentions to Tommy D, Akinbiyi, Adomah, Mickey Bell and Scott Murray but 'later period' Tinnion is my favourite.

Was never a fan of his on the left but when he went in to a midfield 3 under Wilson we played some amazing football and it all went through him. Shame the rest of them were constantly on the lash! ?

Saw players many a Friday night down Whiteladies Rd,absolutely hammered,and so were the players?

Bob Taylor for me. I was at exactly the right age when he was at his best and I worshipped him.

Others in my top 5 would be Walsh, Tinnion, Murray and Shaun Taylor. Walsh was fantastic and I never knew how he didn’t play at a higher level. Tinnion was the best passer of a ball I’ve ever seen at AG and him and Murray were two more who could have graced a higher level, especially if they’d moved up as a pair. Shaun Taylor was an absolute warrior. I’ll never forget watching him trying to run off his career ending knee injury.... I’ve never seen anything like it! Honourable mention to Shaun Goater too, the best finisher I’ve seen in my 30 odd years of watching  

It’s probably no coincidence that all of my mentions there were in my younger days. Cynicism creeps in as you get older. In recent years, Tammy would be the closest to getting on the list. I know he wasn’t even our player but what a breath of fresh air he was that season. I really hope he plays in the Euros and shows the world how good he is. 

Loved anyone with pace and skill so Jacki, Goodridge, Junior Bent (was he actually any good?) Scott Murray. 

Left footers Tinnion and Bell.

Steve Brooker.

As I’ve got older the players don’t seem to have the same hero status for me....

Archived