IGNORED

Who is your favourite ever Bristol City player?

Fordy62

8 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I always remember being disappointed when he was on the bench. Do you get players that exciting any more? Eliasson is the nearest we’ve got, but he doesn’t get me out of my seat like GG did. 

Might well be shot down for this but Ivan Sproule is the only one to rival Goodridge for excitement when he got the ball for me. Granted it was generally short lived excitement...

Started with Norman Hunter (down to the park on a Sunday afternoon practising thunderbolt freekicks), then Dave Smith (the pace of the man, frightening....) and 'Psycho' Glenn Humphries ('that' sliding tackle in the Chelsea FA Cup game in the pouring rain...), in fact anyone in that '89/90 promotion team, Andy Cole was something special but for an out and out favourite, got to be Jacki for me - I know he splits opinion but that Leicester game at the old Filbert Street, he was literally out of this world. Different class.

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Always only one answer, Big John Atyeo.

Wonderful player and an absolute gentleman (in both senses of the word)

Never seen his like again, and probably unlikely to in the future

Never saw Wedlock, of course, but my grandfather who saw him many times, and in Cup Final, would have voted for Big John too.

For me and those privileged to have seen Atyeo in his prime, he epitomised all that was best with City.  The crowd baying ‘Give it to John’ still raises goosebumps every time I remember it, as well as John cartwheeling back to the half way line having scored.

John Atyeo was a fantastic player and I was going to say he was my favourite as there has never been a City player since with the same ability and the “gentlemanly” attitude. However, I’ve decided to go for Terry Cooper, mainly because of what he achieved when City was nearly down and out. This might sound like I’m bending the rules, but he was a player manager for a while. Who can forget City beating Rovers 2-1 at Eastville in 1983 when Cooper came on for the last 20 minutes? 

Gow

Galley

Garland

Gibson

best 4g`s

many others from that era close behind; Fear, Sharpe, Tainton, Kellard, Skirton, Merrick, Gillies, Bush, Par, Cashley, Drysdale etc, etc proper footie. ?

John Galley superstar, how many goals have you scored so far :banana:

In no particular order

Super Bob my hero as a 14 15 year old

Martin Scott great left back hard as nails

Rob Newman what a player, if h had pace he would have gone further than naaaarrch

Scott Murray for 2 seasons unplayable 

Matt Hill played the game with a smile on his face and covered for some very immobile centre backs.Always loved the way someone so short would out jump a much bigger attackers... I would go so far to say my favourite  player for city

Jackie. Legend  when he turned up what a player. Didn't turn up often, but the times he did are still vivid in my memory.

John Atyeo from my earliest City days. For that era the complete No.9. Strong, honest & true ability. My all time fave.

Shaun Taylor & Gerry Gow. Two blokes I'd have wanted in every City team I've watched since. Sweat blood for us. Tinman  & Scotty, too. 

So many other good uns already mentioned. The sort of players who create an identity, Lee. 

9 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Agree.  Gutted when we sold him to Newcastle with no sell on clause!

Absolutely. I shouldn’t have done it but I lived in Swindon at the time where he made his debut for Newcastle a week after leaving City . It was like watching a girlfriend who had just dumped  you going out with someone else!

11 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

So, following on from @reddogkev’s thread from yesterday - Fammy or Ade, I just thought I’d ask who your favourite ever player is?

Akinbiyi is very close for me, but he’s just pipped to the post by Shaun Taylor. The bloke was nails and good for a goal or two. Of course there’s every chance I’m misremembering the Olden days with a little too much romanticism, but Shaun Taylor is my fave ever. 

Over to you. 

Nail another for Shaun Taylor here.

Picture it if you weren’t there. We sign a 34 (?) year old from Swindon. He can’t get in their team, and their defence is garbage. There doesn’t appear to be a need for him, it looks like the signing is cover with the added problem of coming from a rival.

But.

But.

He plays. He has no pace. He has no culture. But somehow, he is everywhere. He puts everything in. He makes players around him better (Hi Louis). If he wants the ball it’s his, you don’t get in the way. And he always wants the ball. He scores goals, and just runs back to the halfway line with his forearm up, unmoving for the sprint. He is the single biggest reason we go up. And his loss (and replacement with Julian ****ing Watts) is the single biggest reason we go straight back down.

There is something special about that player who is limited but somehow becomes indispensable. That’s what makes those types my favourites - Bobby Hutch, Robbie Carnage, hell even Marvin wasn’t the greatest player but he had WILL in 2008. Korey isn’t the best player we have now ability wise but his work rate and value makes him my current top man.

But above all them, Shaun Taylor. A ****ing colossus. Headbands, blood, commitment and sheer will to win. I’m not sure I’ll ever see someone to outrank him, irrespective of base ability.

Gary Shelton was always my favourite as a kid. He was all action. He always seemed to give 10% more than the next man and was genuinely "everywhere".

Over the years, Tins, Murray, Carey, Jacki have also been big standout players for me.

A huge shout out as well to the almost endless supply of quality LBs we have had over the years, you know who they are. The tradition continues today, with young Jay Dasilva.

It’s about time this thread went slightly off topic, so I’m going to throw in Les Bardsley. He was City’s  man with the magic sponge back in the 70s. I say he qualifies as a favourite player because he played for Barrow and Bury before he became a physio. I liked Les because of the way he ran onto the pitch. If a match was dull, it would be livened up by Les running onto the pitch with his own, unique, style - ie like a bandy duck with two broken legs. 

Archived