IGNORED

Who is your favourite ever Bristol City player?

Fordy62

Walsh - for ‘that’ trick, and those free kicks

Gow  - battler supreme

Taylor - class striker 

Whitehead - silky skills

Galley - great finisher

Hunter - more than just a blocker, under-rated skills and great shot

No 1 for me Walsh. Got you off your seat when he received the ball. 

11 minutes ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

John Galley is my all time favourite. 

The best player we have ever had was Norman Hunter.

Gerry Gow was really, really good but Bobby Kellard was even better.!

Best goal scorer - Bob Taylor

Galley has a special place in my life - as a kid I remember seeing the vidi printer on telly come up with Huddersfield 0-3 City and I said to my dad "I bet Galley got a hat trick". Ran down to get the Green 'Un later and saw that he had scored a hat trick. I sprinted all the way home and was hardly through the door shouting " dad, dad, he did it, Galley got a hat trick".  Happy days.

If I remember correctly, he bagged a hat trick on his debut for his previous two clubs (may be a myth but a good one).

Agree re Norman Hunter and Kellard was a hard little bugger.

10 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It’s about time this thread went slightly off topic, so I’m going to throw in Les Bardsley. He was City’s  man with the magic sponge back in the 70s. I say he qualifies as a favourite player because he played for Barrow and Bury before he became a physio. I liked Les because of the way he ran onto the pitch. If a match was dull, it would be livened up by Les running onto the pitch with his own, unique, style - ie like a bandy duck with two broken legs. 

'Ran'? Hobbled more like. Always made me laugh as a kid that folks went to his physio practice in Ashton when he himself moved like that.

But as you say top memories. Bucket and sponges no more (whatever happened to the Holy Water they must have contained) and very little else. Maybe my memory's playing tricks but if the sponge didn't deliver it's magic it was invariably:"stretcher!"

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nail another for Shaun Taylor here.

Picture it if you weren’t there. We sign a 34 (?) year old from Swindon. He can’t get in their team, and their defence is garbage. There doesn’t appear to be a need for him, it looks like the signing is cover with the added problem of coming from a rival.

But.

But.

He plays. He has no pace. He has no culture. But somehow, he is everywhere. He puts everything in. He makes players around him better (Hi Louis). If he wants the ball it’s his, you don’t get in the way. And he always wants the ball. He scores goals, and just runs back to the halfway line with his forearm up, unmoving for the sprint. He is the single biggest reason we go up. And his loss (and replacement with Julian ****ing Watts) is the single biggest reason we go straight back down.

There is something special about that player who is limited but somehow becomes indispensable. That’s what makes those types my favourites - Bobby Hutch, Robbie Carnage, hell even Marvin wasn’t the greatest player but he had WILL in 2008. Korey isn’t the best player we have now ability wise but his work rate and value makes him my current top man.

But above all them, Shaun Taylor. A ****ing colossus. Headbands, blood, commitment and sheer will to win. I’m not sure I’ll ever see someone to outrank him, irrespective of base ability.

How funny that you too rank Korey Smith as your current fave. I bet that says something about us. Not sure what exactly... that we’re legends perhaps?

9 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

Started going around the time Goodridge was in the side, probably because I was a kid at the time that he was so exciting. 

I’ve always like a good left back beginning with B, Bryan, Barnard and Bell

Basilva...

23 hours ago, FreshPrinceofBristol said:

Every time he got the ball you could hear all of the seats flipping up. He'd always run at his man and try to get a cross/shot off, no other thoughts in his mind. He played with a freedom you don't see anymore.

Was a bit like that with Lois Diony. Only, it was people getting up to leave

Some great players mentioned. When I started watching City in the 70's my hero was Keith Fear, always entertaining ! We have seen some great players down the years, Norman Hunter and Gerry Gow from that brilliant spell in the old 1st Division, then the likes of Rob Newman, Alan Walsh and Bob Taylor, and I always thought Rob Edwards could have been something really special. 

Archived