Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Fordy62

Who is your favourite ever Bristol City player?

10 minutes ago, Firstyardleftinbed said:

Honourable mentions to Tommy D, Akinbiyi, Adomah, Mickey Bell and Scott Murray but 'later period' Tinnion is my favourite.

Was never a fan of his on the left but when he went in to a midfield 3 under Wilson we played some amazing football and it all went through him. Shame the rest of them were constantly on the lash! 🍻

Saw players many a Friday night down Whiteladies Rd,absolutely hammered,and so were the players🥳

Bob Taylor for me. I was at exactly the right age when he was at his best and I worshipped him.

Others in my top 5 would be Walsh, Tinnion, Murray and Shaun Taylor. Walsh was fantastic and I never knew how he didn’t play at a higher level. Tinnion was the best passer of a ball I’ve ever seen at AG and him and Murray were two more who could have graced a higher level, especially if they’d moved up as a pair. Shaun Taylor was an absolute warrior. I’ll never forget watching him trying to run off his career ending knee injury.... I’ve never seen anything like it! Honourable mention to Shaun Goater too, the best finisher I’ve seen in my 30 odd years of watching  

It’s probably no coincidence that all of my mentions there were in my younger days. Cynicism creeps in as you get older. In recent years, Tammy would be the closest to getting on the list. I know he wasn’t even our player but what a breath of fresh air he was that season. I really hope he plays in the Euros and shows the world how good he is. 

• Like 3

David Smith and David Seal are 2 that immediately spring to mind as my favourite players.

Moving away from David’s I really liked Junior Bent (probably for the same reason as Smith). Jackie and Murray obviously.

• Like 1

It was Tommy Doc when I first started going with the old man. He was the first player I took notice of.

Then recent years it’s been Albert and Flint. Special mention to Jon Stead too.

• Like 1

Loved anyone with pace and skill so Jacki, Goodridge, Junior Bent (was he actually any good?) Scott Murray. 

Left footers Tinnion and Bell.

Steve Brooker.

As I’ve got older the players don’t seem to have the same hero status for me....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

So, following on from @reddogkev’s thread from yesterday - Fammy or Ade, I just thought I’d ask who your favourite ever player is?

Akinbiyi is very close for me, but he’s just pipped to the post by Shaun Taylor. The bloke was nails and good for a goal or two. Of course there’s every chance I’m misremembering the Olden days with a little too much romanticism, but Shaun Taylor is my fave ever. 

Over to you. 

Probably JET for me, really enjoyed watching him. Special talent, and the fact he was a bit flawed helped his appeal.

Special mention to:

1. Lee Trundle
  2. David Noble
  3. Paul Hartley
  4. Jonathan Kodjia
  • Like 2

Lots of favourite players look to be a generation thing.......for me in all the years I’ve been watching City no other player has come close to Gerry Gow. He was a simply magnificent footballer.

Walsh and Murray a distant second and third.

2 hours ago, yardy said:

Glyn Riley when i was a young lad and after that Bob Taylor

We must be on a similar journey as supporters.....

Steve Neville when I was a nipper and after that Bob Taylor...loved Gav as well.  Such an exciting player to watch.  Tinman was an absolute pleasure to watch,  The ease with which he could pick out a pass was sublime.

• Like 1

Dave Smith for me. Proper old fashioned flying winger. Closely followed by Gary Shelton. Probably the best player I’ve seen in a city shirt who wasn’t just here for five mins 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Dave Smith for me. Proper old fashioned flying winger. Closely followed by Gary Shelton. Probably the best player I’ve seen in a city shirt who wasn’t just here for five mins 

Excellent call

Ashamed I left him off my list -

Hammer of a left foot and a jaw dropping afterburner - got fans off their seats on a regular basis

Anyone who put in an extended shift for City without necessarily getting the credit they deserved.  So, Trevor Tainton, Rob Newman, Louis Carey, Matt Hewlett, Alex Russell, Cole Skuse, Korey Smith.   But also for entertainment value, Clive Whitehead, Alan Walsh, Dave Smith, David Noble, Luke Freeman and Bobby Reid.  Oh, and John Galley, who was my child hero.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 4

1. John Atyeo

2. Jantzen Derrick

3. Norman Hunter...........saw his debut at the Baseball Ground v Derby County

4.Clive Whitehead..............for THAT goal

plus many others in the fantastic years that I have supported City. 

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Crumbs...

Diffetent players, different eras.

Looking back it’s almost never the ‘best’ player.

At the start, Super Bob & Mark Gavin

Then Martin Scott and Keith Welch

Paul Agostino was a cult hero amongst us 14/15 year olds.

This century, Scott Murray.

Overall for me, maybe Martin Scott.

Ive never actually supported anyone other than City but when he went to Sunderland, it’s the closest I’ve come. When he scored the penalty winner against the shitty Newcastle, at Rooker Park in their first meting back in Div 1, I was so happy.

And one of the nicest blokes you could ever hope to meet

At his pomp at City , He was my partner on a treatment of injuries course - humble , funny and all round good bloke

• Like 1

What is amazing is the hundreds of players to have passed through the club without leaving any form of memory in the fan’s heads or hearts .

Let’s hear it for the long line of  Andy Mays, Steve Galliers , Paul Wimbletons of this world . 

:innocent06:

• Like 1

Steve Neville, Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan, Greg Goodridge, Mickey Bell, Darren Barnard, Ivan Sproule, Joe Bryan, JET, Colin Cramb - not necessarily the best, just favourites

25 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Excellent call

Ashamed I left him off my list -

Hammer of a left foot and a jaw dropping afterburner - got fans off their seats on a regular basis

Common ground with @RedDave Bob!

It proves it’s all only football 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The one and only PJW Atyeo - Big John. How could it be anyone else?

And only a whisker behind him come Sir Gerry Gow.

Atyeo retired the year that I first went to AG so I never saw him play unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

It was Tommy Doc when I first started going with the old man. He was the first player I took notice of.

Then recent years it’s been Albert and Flint. Special mention to Jon Stead too.

Jon Stead. In the same ‘underwhelming signing’ category as Dele Adebola, buy wasn’t he good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

As I’ve got older the players don’t seem to have the same hero status for me....

Ain’t that the truth. Can’t say I’d bat an eyelid if any of our current crop left tomorrow - except for possibly Palmer - but that’s only cos I think he’ll go onto bigger things. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, grifty said:

I used to watch Mickey Bell play and try to emulate him on a Sunday morning.

How did you know what he did on a Sunday Morning!? Bit of a lie in, walk the dog, go get the papers, that kind of stuff?

Or did he just practice winding his arms up like a human windmill?

Edited by CyderInACan
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Jon Stead. In the same ‘underwhelming signing’ category as Dele Adebola, buy wasn’t he good!

See also:  Wilbraham, Aaron 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Lots of favourite players look to be a generation thing.......for me in all the years I’ve been watching City no other player has come close to Gerry Gow. He was a simply magnificent footballer.

Walsh and Murray a distant second and third.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Imagine being able to morph Alan Walsh and Dave Smith together?  Now that would’ve been some player!!