IGNORED

Matt Smith

Hampshire Red

Not a comment to say we should have him back, he wouldn't get on our bench

Anyone who witnessed his Fantastic Four at Gillingham (I think 200 City saw that step on our way to the famous Wembley, Double Season) will always live the guy as we live other ordinary players who got memorable goals eg Donawa

Tonight he's stuck it to Forest which makes our CBs performance last Saturday seem even better than I thought it was, watching live. This result should keep our gloomsters at bay for another 12hrs!!

4 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Anyone who witnessed his Fantastic Four at Gillingham (I think 200 City saw that step on our way to the famous Wembley, Double Season) will always live the guy as we live other ordinary players who got memorable goals eg Donawa

Tonight he's stuck it to Forest which makes our CBs performance last Saturday seem even better than I thought it was, watching live. This result should keep our gloomsters at bay for another 12hrs!!

In your narrow world maybe 

I’d have had him in any squad we’ve had since he played here 

Disagree he wouldn't get on our bench. What arrogance.

We've played teams in the last couple of years that have included Diony who was absolute toilet and a shite Spanish striker whos name escapes me.

In my opinion it's the lack of players that give you an option that has messed us up in recent years.

Since we let go of our pony tailed friend duric we've been one dimensional, flat, unagile and uninteresting.

6 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We've played teams in the last couple of years that have included Diony and that was absolute toilet and a shite Spanish striker whos name escapes me.

In my opinion it's the lack of players that give you an option that has messed us up in recent years.

Since we let go of our pony tailed friend duric we've been one dimensional, flat, unagile and uninteresting.

We signed a pony tailed Duric, but let go a non-pony tailed version, if you remember rightly.

7 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We've played teams in the last couple of years that have included Diony who was absolute toilet and a shite Spanish striker whos name escapes me.

Though we might have gone for him when Wilbs left

Excellent target man - and a unique breed these days 

28 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

??? Smith would walk into our first team, he’d make Eliasson into the player he should be ... 

(*love ... *Donowa )

35 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

WOW! Just wow.....

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A fair section of our fan base would look down  their nose up at most of Millwalls Squad , the same as we dismiss manager options that ‘arnt good enough for us’

Who? That Millwall who're above us now?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A fair section of our fan base would look down  their nose up at most of Millwalls Squad , the same as we dismiss manager options that ‘arnt good enough for us’

To be fair, I’d only really have Wallace and Smith from them

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

To be fair, I’d only really have Wallace and Smith from them

Cooper, Woods maybe

And on paper , not many that in theory would be better quality than what we have

But been knitted together well and a team greater than their individual parts .

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Cooper, Woods maybe

And on paper , not many that in theory would be better quality than what we have

But been knitted together well and a team greater than their individual parts .

Not sure about Cooper over our defensive options, Woods is a good shout though. 

They are definitely an excellent ‘team’, not got a load of household names but they are excellent at getting results. If we could form as good a ‘team’ as them then we’d be in the top 6 easily 

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Not sure about Cooper over our defensive options, Woods is a good shout though. 

They are definitely an excellent ‘team’, not got a load of household names but they are excellent at getting results. If we could form as good a ‘team’ as them then we’d be in the top 6 easily 

They do the basics , and the ‘dirty work’ , really well

Almost a throwback in some respects, in the modern game

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Not sure if smith would get into our first team over Fam, but as an option from the bench he’d be excellent

I think he would and we’ve currently got Nahki Wells and KP as bench options ... at the start of this season we had Afobe, Weimann and Palmer up there and it was superb! Slotting Smith into that triumvirate would have given us a huge chance of keeping that momentum going ... especially with Wells lurking, ready to come in ...

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We have a snobbery about us that looks down on players, managers and teams that are better that what we have. 

Millwall are better than us, we didn't beat them at home, we didn't beat them away. 

*they have a positive goal difference. We don't.

The problem with ‘target men’ is that the style of play from the rest of team is to ‘lump it’ up to the the tall striker. - it’s one dimensional and predictable and opposition teams are well versed in dealing with that kind of play.

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The problem with ‘target men’ is that the style of play from the rest of team is to ‘lump it’ up to the the tall striker. - it’s one dimensional and predictable and opposition teams are well versed in dealing with that kind of play.

Except Nottingham Forest !

9 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Try again we are no longer 7th and have dropped down a place; failure to get any points could see us drop further.......although Swansea have a tough home game to WBA and Cardiff are away at Barnsley ?

Even Wardrobes turn in extraordinary performances now and again, he did so at The Gills for us (unbelievable night) and again for 30 mins last night for The Wall. Otherwise he's a third tier journeyman of old. Not bad at that level, but not great either.

We've played against him many times since he left and the words 'back-pocket' & 'anonymous' were order of the day each time.

Archived