IGNORED

Matt Smith

Hampshire Red

3 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Even Wardrobes turn in extraordinary performances now and again, he did so at The Gills for us (unbelievable night) and again for 30 mins last night for The Wall. Otherwise he's a third tier journeyman of old. Not bad at that level, but not great either.

We've played against him many times since he left and the words 'back-pocket' & 'anonymous' were order of the day each time.

He’s not a third tier one though is he. 

Definitely up to the standard of this league or he wouldn’t be in it scoring goals.

Also we played QPR at the gate last February, he got a goal, won everything & caused us problems throughout.

8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

He’s not a third tier one though is he. 

Definitely up to the standard of this league or he wouldn’t be in it scoring goals.

Also we played QPR at the gate last February, he got a goal, won everything & caused us problems throughout.

With The Wall's direct style Smith's having his best season goal wise (all that counts for a striker) but he's always been a 1:4 striker, he's not that mobile and I dispute his performance against us for Fulham at home where although he scored he posed little or no danger throughout the game. At their place when he came on he made life easy for us.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

The problem with ‘target men’ is that the style of play from the rest of team is to ‘lump it’ up to the the tall striker. - it’s one dimensional and predictable and opposition teams are well versed in dealing with that kind of play.

You don’t necessarily have to lump it to a tall striker. When Eliasson is in the team the play tends to go through the midfield to him on the wing, and he then crosses the ball. Matt Smith waiting in the middle for one of his crosses would be a good option. 

On 07/03/2020 at 07:39, WolfOfWestStreet said:

(We have a snobbery about us) Every club have snobbish fans that that looks down on players, managers and teams that are better that what we have. 

Millwall are better than us, we didn't beat them at home, we didn't beat them away. 

*they have a positive goal difference. We don't.

I think the above works better...

Matt Smith can have the odd good game but is so limited. Zero pace. Touch not very good. Remember Bailey Wright absolutely dominating him in the air one game. So not as if he's guaranteed to do brilliantly even in the air. 

I think Wells, Adobe and Fam are far better championship strikers.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Matt Smith can have the odd good game but is so limited. Zero pace. Touch not very good. Remember Bailey Wright absolutely dominating him in the air one game. So not as if he's guaranteed to do brilliantly even in the air. 

I think Wells, Adobe and Fam are far better championship strikers.

He might “seem” limited, but you set up a system to play to his strengths and see him thrive.  And that doesn’t mean set-up as long-ball either.  I think he has a decent first touch, and a pretty cultured left foot for a big man.

I don’t think you score 52 (27 assists) in the equivalent of 108 apps (9694mins / 90) at this level if you’re not decent.  That’s a 1 in 2, across Leeds, Fulham, QPR and now Millwall.  They all played different types of football, yet Smith effective.

Underrated imho.

I think too many people see 6’6” and think “typical target-man”.  Much more to him than that.

In the QPR game you refer to re Bailey Wright.  “Absolutely Dominating” is a strong phrase, but Wright did well,  not allowing him clean headers after Baker had been sent off.  It was noticeable how well Wright did once Flint decided Smith was too much of a handful for him, but it wasn’t like he beat him on every header.  Flint wasn’t that good against players who were physical with him, which is quite surprising really.  Wright knew how to use his body.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He might “seem” limited, but you set up a system to play to his strengths and see him thrive.  And that doesn’t mean set-up as long-ball either.  I think he has a decent first touch, and a pretty cultured left foot for a big man.

I don’t think you score 52 (27 assists) in the equivalent of 108 apps (9694mins / 90) at this level if you’re not decent.  That’s a 1 in 2, across Leeds, Fulham, QPR and now Millwall.  They all played different types of football, yet Smith effective.

Underrated imho.

I think too many people see 6’6” and think “typical target-man”.  Much more to him than that.

In the QPR game you refer to re Bailey Wright.  “Absolutely Dominating” is a strong phrase, but Wright did well,  not allowing him clean headers after Baker had been sent off.  It was noticeable how well Wright did once Flint decided Smith was too much of a handful for him, but it wasn’t like he beat him on every header.  Flint wasn’t that good against players who were physical with him, which is quite surprising really.  Wright knew how to use his body.

I think we are talking about 2 different games. I remember an evening game where Wright was winning nearly everything and I was shocked. Made me realise how good Wright is in the air.

I just hope we don't go for a big lump up top. For me Diedhiou has more to his game on the ground but even with Fam I'd look to change if we want to keep the ball on the deck.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Underrated imho.

Decent touch , & not too shoddy feet for a big lad 

His hold up play and bringing others into the game against Forest was excellent and when he wins headers he does so with an intention in terms of a teammate 

Struggles to do 90 but underrated IMHO

Archived