IGNORED

Bristol City v Fulham Match Day 37

Septic Peg

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yep. You’d be royally ****** off of that we’re at the other end. Defo pen for me. 

Agreed, nice to see us go for the dirty option though.  He had 2 chances, take him out (and get lucky on the decision) or save a penalty.  Both preferable to what was likely to happen.

17 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

That was a pen. Maenepa took him out before grabbing the ball. Lucky! 

It was also a foul leading up to their equaliser,swings and roundabouts and all that.

2 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Because looking at the game as a whole Fulham deserved the win. Even with my City glasses on i think we were pretty much outplayed 

I think you’re correct, but that wasn’t the point being made.

We needed three points today. That’s something like two points out of a possible fifteen. That’s relegation form plus rather than a play off place.

OK, another disappointing end result, but two minor observations.

1; the Sky commentary team sounded biased towards Fulham.

2; Odoi. When he charged into our player for which he was booked, he complained loudly at the Ref that a free kick had been awarded let alone the booking. Later when Fulham had a FK,, he went up to the Ref and tried telling him where the kick should be. I believe that continually having a go at officials as he did still merits a booking.

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The problem I have with the green shoots theory Fordy is that we’ve been similarly decent in the past, and utterly awful again later.

Not knocking today’s performance, it was a point gained against a good team, but I’m going to be struggle to be convinced it’s some sort of watershed moment. We’re just so inconsistent.

Ultimately I look at that today and conclude we’re not good enough or ready for promotion.

Apart from Leeds I’ve not seen a team this season that I think are good enough for promotion . It’s such a piss poor league 

Fulham today looked alright, but let’s be honest....I don’t think they are playing anywhere near as good as they should be with those players 

As you rightly said, good performance today...but I don’t believe it was good enough to convince me we were going to really click in the last 9 games 

I personally think we will be out of the playoff race with a good 4 games left 

7 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Why are people saying it's a good point? We need to be beating our promotion rivals at home if we want to go up

No we don’t. We aren’t in completion with Fulham for a play off place. They will get one. It is Preston, Brentford, Forest and Millwall who are our rivals for a play off spot. 

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

We needed three points today. That’s something like two points out of a possible fifteen. That’s relegation form plus rather than a play off place.

Kind of agree but we didn’t NEED 3 points. Still in touch so not needed. Would have been very handy but a draw against Fulham is a good result

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK, another disappointing end result, but two minor observations.

1; the Sky commentary team sounded biased towards Fulham.

2; Odoi. When he charged into our player for which he was booked, he complained loudly at the Ref that a free kick had been awarded let alone the booking. Later when Fulham had a FK,, he went up to the Ref and tried telling him where the kick should be. I believe that continually having a go at officials as he did still merits a booking.

Ffs this is still football, that’s the game.

5 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Morning folks... and a happy 125th anniversary to the club!

We all have our own personal memories attached to City - whether it attending with a parent as a kid, meeting a partner, creating friendships and making lifelong memories. I've said without the club, I actually wouldn't even be here as my parents met in the old Supporters Club in the Williams stand back in the day. My late dad only ever came to two games with me, a southern area league trophy win over Torquay and the LDV final win over Carlisle. Two games that even now, I remember very clearly and I won't forget.

The club has also made a video about other people's experiences with City. It's about 25 minutes long so grab yourself a cuppa.

Also, for a bit of fun, the club asked on social media for some of our choice moments. So if anyone wants to play along, here is what City wanted to know...

? Ahead of Saturday's 125th anniversary match tell us your:

First match: _________
Favourite game: _________
Favourite all-time player: _________
Favourite season: _________
Best goal: _________
Biggest limbs: _________

#BristolCity

Here's the twitter link so you can see what everyone else has put... just click on it and view the replies, you don't need to be logged into twitter.

So, without mentioning today's kit, it's a momentous occasion. I only hope that the 8 men that saved this club are mentioned too. Without them, I wouldn't be typing this.

On to today...

Fulham at home. We've been a bit of a bogey team for them in recent times. In fact you have to go back 3 years to find the last time Fulham beat us. In the last 7 games, we've beat them 5 times, drawn once and lost once.

Our home form is still shocking and Fulham have been on the up (apart from a 3-0 loss at home to Barnsley) so I'm expecting a pasting. 3-1 Fulham. Bristol's own Joey Bryan is out with a baddy leg so no run out for him but Bristol's own Bobby (De Cordova) Reid is expected to play for Fulham. Come home Bob. We love you.

Enjoy the day folks.

COYRs!

Is it just me or is our club actually 126 years old?! 

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

We did need three points but failure to get them means if Preston win then we fall four points behind with nine matches to play . 

However , maybe QPR will stuff the Knobenders . 

:dunno:

3 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Apart from Leeds I’ve not seen a team this season that I think are good enough for promotion . It’s such a piss poor league 

Fulham today looked alright, but let’s be honest....I don’t think they are playing anywhere near as good as they should be with those players 

As you rightly said, good performance today...but I don’t believe it was good enough to convince me we were going to really click in the last 9 games 

I personally think we will be out of the playoff race with a good 4 games left 

Every year people claim that year's Championship is weaker than previous years. It's no truer this season than it has been every other time someone has said it. 

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

Odoi. When he charged into our player for which he was booked, he complained loudly at the Ref that a free kick had been awarded let alone the booking. Later when Fulham had a FK,, he went up to the Ref and tried telling him where the kick should be. I believe that continually having a go at officials as he did still merits a booking.

There's this Andreas Weimann guy I think you should have a look at...

13 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Because looking at the game as a whole Fulham deserved the win. Even with my City glasses on i think we were pretty much outplayed 

Not really. Lots of passing but not much end product. They rely on Mitro and Cairney to get them something with a moment of quality. 

Watch them play another team as a neutral and you’ll see how unimpressive they are considering the players they have. Should be up there with WBA challenging for the title with the talent in their squad. Parker’s underachieving imo. 

Thought we looked a bit more like a team in 7/8th today - which is a big improvement!

13 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

I think the hard truth is we're just a solid plucky top 10 team.

One or two top 6 players sprinkled in, Wells, Kalas, Bentley. Maybe Eliasson in certain situations. 

The fact is look at our midfield compared to Fulham today, we have no players close to the class of the likes of Cairney, Arter, Kamara even Knockeart coming off the bench. Same against Leeds, Phillips, Hernandez etc. 

We rely on people like COD, Paterson, Weimann or Fam etc to have excellent games, if they drop off to play an average game, it's just simply not top 6 class. 

It's plain as day now IMO - we don't have enough of the players with the raw strength, speed or technical ability as the best teams in this division. 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

No we don’t. We aren’t in completion with Fulham for a play off place. They will get one. It is Preston, Brentford, Forest and Millwall who are our rivals for a play off spot. 

I don't think it's awful that we failed to beat Fulham today but I would like us to do a bit more to show that, if it comes down to it, we could beat a promotion rival over a home and away leg and then another one in a one-off game at Wembley. Ironically Fulham are the one team - so far - we would have beaten over two legs if the results were replicated. But we're so far yet to beat any of the four rivals you mention this season. We've two games v Preston and Forest to come of course but I'd like to see more evidence we can compete if it comes to it. 

Better performance than I was expecting but still some way short of where we need to be to hit the playoffs - rode our luck a fair at the back. 

Looked like we were actually capable of passing a bit but without much penetration.

Not a good enough result at this point in the season.

I'll be interested to see if LJ thinks that was good enough to warrant not changing the side next time.

3 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Not really. Lots of passing but not much end product. They rely on Mitro and Cairney to get them something with a moment of quality. 

Watch them play another team as a neutral and you’ll see how unimpressive they are considering the players they have. Should be up there with WBA challenging for the title with the talent they have. 

Thought we looked a bit more like a team in 7/8th today - which is a big improvement!

We had far less end product than them though? And we can’t even pass it about lots well like they do.

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Better performance than I was expecting but still some way short of where we need to be to hit the playoffs - rode our luck a fair at the back. 

Looked like were actually capable of passing a bit but without much penetration.

Not a good enough result at this point in the season.

I'll be interested to see if LJ thinks that was good enough to warrant not changing the side next time.

I actually thought it was attacking areas that we lacked the quality, but that's largely part of the Weimann compromise. 

Archived