IGNORED

Bristol City v Fulham Match Day 37

Septic Peg

1 hour ago, 22A said:

OK, another disappointing end result, but two minor observations.

1; the Sky commentary team sounded biased towards Fulham.

2; Odoi. When he charged into our player for which he was booked, he complained loudly at the Ref that a free kick had been awarded let alone the booking. Later when Fulham had a FK,, he went up to the Ref and tried telling him where the kick should be. I believe that continually having a go at officials as he did still merits a booking.

Odoi handled the ball just outside the box for a free kick first half which given where the ball was going I was v surprised it wasn’t a booking. Add that to the one in the second half and.... 

20 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Mowbray will likely outfox Johnson next Saturday, Preston will win again and we will be looking at a 7 PT deficit with 8 to play. Today's dropped 2 PTS will come back to haunt us. Wait and see.

I hope you're wrong, but I'd give up hope if that did indeed happen.

11 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

To be fair though neither do Preston or Forest and even Fulham were not exactly scintillating today were they? Perhaps that means it will be Leeds, WBA and Brentford beating either Millwall or Blackburn in the final.

Last week Millwall looked a more complete ‘team’ than we did...despite us arguably having the more talented group of players on the pitch. We looked good in patches today. Fulham - who appeared this week to have the more talented individuals - didn’t impress, I agree. 

33 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Mowbray will likely outfox Johnson next Saturday, Preston will win again and we will be looking at a 7 PT deficit with 8 to play. Today's dropped 2 PTS will come back to haunt us. Wait and see.

Against the background of recent performances and results, and against a strong team that are still in contention for automatic, I would say it is a point gained.

It's not today's result that will come to haunt us, it's all those home games ( Blackburn, Wigan etc) and game like Charlton away that will do that.

21 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Against the background of recent performances and results, and against a strong team that are still in contention for automatic, I would say it is a point gained.

It's not today's result that will come to haunt us, it's all those home games ( Blackburn, Wigan etc) and game like Charlton away that will do that.

Agreed that a draw against a decent Fulham team is not why we won’t make the playoffs. The second half was definitely one of our better home performances, but overall we have had too many bad games and results, especially at home. Only a major change in our form is going to see us make the Top 6. And with our current set up and midfield, it’s hard to see that happening. We were bossed by Cairney and Arter, which is fair enough, and a real reflection of our current level.

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Agree with this. Given our inconsistency and poor form, even when we have won sometimes, I no longer really consider us as serious promotion candidates - that has reduced my stress levels.

Good to see LJ's coaching has worked on Bobby - in the post match interview he mentioned "we go again" at least four times :shifty: 

Massive improvement over recent form, Premiership ref gave the usual keep the game going performance, but missed some very important decisions for both sides, pity we forgot to play to the whistle, our stopping gave them the equaliser!

Drove home with a smile on my face for once - sorry mr Aston Martin driver, but I saw you coming - made sure there was no space to overtake! 
?

COYR

My first live game at home in a very long time. A few things.

Firstly I started in Dolman E34 then spent second half in S22. Behind the goal was a far, far, far better atmosphere.

Secondly. Massengo, Wells, Hunt, Kalas and Maenpaa were all back to being good. Love Maenpaa in particular and thought he was close to an MOTM shout.

Third: 1-1 was fair. Fulham are decent but we were finally decent ourselves. First time for a while we've passed well in the midfield and generally we were good.

Finally: my god the pies have improved.

Some good performances today, especially COD. A draw was definitely fair, especially considering we had to make a first half sub for an injury. 

The striker situation is a tough one, but I think starting Nahki worked well and Famara coming on 2nd half definitely had an instant impact.

I really want to see Nahki Wells with Kasey Palmer behind him feeding him balls, but who the hell knows what's going on with that situation.

Thought Massengo was 50-50 today, did something bad for every good moment. He's obviously talented but totally unsuited to first XI English championship football - he just gets bullied. 

10 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Some good performances today, especially COD. A draw was definitely fair, especially considering we had to make a first half sub for an injury. 

The striker situation is a tough one, but I think starting Nahki worked well and Famara coming on 2nd half definitely had an instant impact.

I really want to see Nahki Wells with Kasey Palmer behind him feeding him balls, but who the hell knows what's going on with that situation.

Thought Massengo was 50-50 today, did something bad for every good moment. He's obviously talented but totally unsuited to first XI English championship football - he just gets bullied. 

I’d also like to see Kasey Palmer given an opportunity as it gives us something different 

Massengo reminds me a little of Elliasson’s first season, and this is all good experience for him and will toughen him up. I think we forget how much of a culture shock it is moving into English football, Nagy too i think will be better next season 

21 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Leave him alone, he’s only nine .

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I think the hard truth is we're just a solid plucky top 10 team.

One or two top 6 players sprinkled in, Wells, Kalas, Bentley. Maybe Eliasson in certain situations. 

The fact is look at our midfield compared to Fulham today, we have no players close to the class of the likes of Cairney, Arter, Kamara even Knockeart coming off the bench. Same against Leeds, Phillips, Hernandez etc. 

We rely on people like COD, Paterson, Weimann or Fam etc to have excellent games, if they drop off to play an average game, it's just simply not top 6 class. 

It's plain as day now IMO - we don't have enough of the players with the raw strength, speed or technical ability as the best teams in this division. 

Whilst I agree with all this, how do you then explain Brentford being where they are (ie, breathing down Fulham's necks) or, indeed, Millwall being anywhere near us? If it's that they have the quality players you refer to there, then this begs the question why we do not.

28 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Whilst I agree with all this, how do you then explain Brentford being where they are (ie, breathing down Fulham's necks) or, indeed, Millwall being anywhere near us? If it's that they have the quality players you refer to there, then this begs the question why we do not.

I genuinely can’t really comment in detail on what other clubs are doing, because I don’t know as much about them. I can only really comment on us, the only club I see week in week out and know about our injuries etc vs. our opposition and what I see of others on highlights.

But that being said, there will be, every year, teams that under achieve and teams that over achieve. 

There are plenty underachieving in our league, Middlesborough, Derby, Huddersfield etc.

Likewise you will have the over achievers. Why? We all know there are loads of factors - could just be a squad coming together at the right time (Ajax last season) or just an excellent manager finding the right equation.

The two you mention - Millwall, they just seem to play a pragmatic, simple football that they don’t move away from but it ultimately gets limited results in this division, but I’m not sure it will get them promoted.

As for Brentford, they’ve been, like us, had a plan and are building towards the top end for several years. I think they really are a season or two ahead of us in their plan though and have recruited better. They unlike us IMO, have several players that are more likely to end up in the team of the year. Watkins, Benrahma, maybe Mepham.

Preston have clearly been doing well, but on current form could end up 10th, and the season won’t look so good.

As I’ve said elsewhere, IMO, top 6 is absolutely possible with this squad, would it be an over achievement? Probably as much as finishing 7th, 8th or 9th would be an under achievement. 

On 07/03/2020 at 23:53, mozo said:

I hope you're wrong, but I'd give up hope if that did indeed happen.

There will still be 8 games left and Preston may go on a bad run, Millwall run out of steam, Cardiff not win again and .. oh there is Blackburn. Goodness. 

On 08/03/2020 at 00:09, downendcity said:

And I may just temper my concerns over Mowbrays tactical nous after the 3 nil loss to Derby... On the other hand they will be bruised and fired up.. so I remain concerned.

On 08/03/2020 at 00:57, ExiledAjax said:

Firstly I started in Dolman E34 then spent second half in S22. Behind the goal was a far, far, far better atmosphere.

How very dare you.

On 07/03/2020 at 16:57, ExiledAjax said:

Secondly. Massengo, Wells, Hunt, Kalas and Maenpaa were all back to being good. Love Maenpaa in particular and thought he was close to an MOTM shout.

Third: 1-1 was fair. Fulham are decent but we were finally decent ourselves. First time for a while we've passed well in the midfield and generally we were good.

Finally: my god the pies have improved.

You do realise that Hunt never played, right?

Archived