IGNORED

Still 8th but..........

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

My worry is ourselves. 10 games left and I still think it's in our own hands. 

The only team that will cost us top 6 is ourselves 

We've been the team that has worried me the most for the last 50 years!

I think we deserve to be still in with a shout after our last two performances, they have been ‘ honest ‘ .

As I said somewhere on here earlier this is the time for scrappers and the mental takes over .

I also wondered how Preston would cope with their ‘ lofty ‘ position.

We didn’t look better than Fulham but somehow got the point . 

Every game now is going to be tight for us and the other clubs going for the prize .

Buckle in . 

39 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I think we deserve to be still in with a shout after our last two performances, they have been ‘ honest ‘ .

As I said somewhere on here earlier this is the time for scrappers and the mental takes over .

I also wondered how Preston would cope with their ‘ lofty ‘ position.

We didn’t look better than Fulham but somehow got the point . 

Every game now is going to be tight for us and the other clubs going for the prize .

Buckle in . 

Hopefully Preston will bottle it like we did last 2 seasons!

9 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Need to change the title we’re 7th

7th appears to be our mode average position. According to wiki it has been our gameweek position 13 times. We've also been in the top 6 13 gameweeks, and 8th or below on 11 occasions. 

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Very tight in top 10 - think realistically we’ve known for a while 6th, maybe 5th was our realistic top end aim.

It’s well and truly game on for 6th with Prestons current form. 

The way things are going, the play off places will likely end up with the teams that have the least worst form over the next 9 games.

29 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Well yes, but at times you'd be forgiven for thinking that everyone else is so much better than us, when it clearly isn't the case.

There certainly are better teams than City we saw one today for example and Leeds and WBA recently Results are keeping us in with a shout though 

39 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

There certainly are better teams than City we saw one today for example and Leeds and WBA recently Results are keeping us in with a shout though 

Agreed, but I wasn't on about the likes of those teams, they are certainly better than us and will finish comfortably above us.

It was more the teams who are in the playoff mix, pretty much all of whom have been been compared favourably to us at various points this season yet are either behind us in the table or within reach of being overtaken, and have as many (though different in some cases) issues to solve as we do.

6 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Very tight in top 10 - think realistically we’ve known for a while 6th, maybe 5th was our realistic top end aim.

It’s well and truly game on for 6th with Prestons current form. 

Spot on. 

Top 2 cut above, Brentford great footballing side. Fulham great squad, but not perhaps a great manager.

6th,or 5th was always an upper limit for me. Maybe without injuries higher but I never really had us down as top 2 contenders. 

Preston though, Nottingham Forest...these sides are beatable, cstchable. 

In our own hands? Absolutely. As between now and the last day we play:

1) Nottingham Forest Away

2) Preston Home

3) Cardiff Home

4) Swansea Away

5) Blackburn Away

All playoff contenders, all to play.

To also add, home games against Hull, Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke...these are winnable. 7 points and maybe 9 should be a target to aim at?

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Spot on. 

Top 2 cut above, Brentford great footballing side. Fulham great squad, but not perhaps a great manager.

6th,or 5th was always an upper limit for me. Maybe without injuries higher but I never really had us down as top 2 contenders. 

2) Preston Home

3) Cardiff Home

4) Swansea Away

5) Blackburn Away

To also add, home games against Hull, Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke...these are winnable. 7 points and maybe 9 should be a target to aim at?

As long as we see the Fulham ‘team’ and not the Huddersfield ‘team’, performance wise, I think we can be confident of sneaking points in a large number of those games, we’ll see.

Encouraging that a few key players, Kalas and Smith, for example, finding form. 

I’m hoping too that being part of the chasing pack will help, pressure on Preston and Forest to fight off that pack, we’ve seen how a long season mentally and physically of being chased can add a pressure to great for some teams.

We have a big squad that have been difficault to make the right starting eleven, it has not benefit us so far but in the end it could be good, nine games left and our players are hungry and fit, not tired. Nagy, Famara in the team is important. COD doing better and Niclas plays 30 min or starts. Wells have scored twice and he is a player, the defence looks strong again. We had a bad run hope we can have a good run now when its needed.

9 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

We have a big squad that have been difficault to make the right starting eleven, it has not benefit us so far but in the end it could be good, nine games left and our players are hungry and fit, not tired. Nagy, Famara in the team is important. COD doing better and Niclas plays 30 min or starts. Wells have scored twice and he is a player, the defence looks strong again. We had a bad run hope we can have a good run now when its needed.

Yes 9 left and 5 at least should be 3 pointers = 18 points. 4 others will result in probably 2 draws and 2 losses. Total 20 points out of a possible maximum of 27 would finish us in the top six. Yesterday’s performance was promising and we could be hitting a good run at the pointy end of the season. Not a brilliant unbeaten run but a run of merit.

15 hours ago, mozo said:

Yeah, I've assumed that those sides are as inconsistent as us! 

Honestly, it feels like Brentford are a superior team, and Preston have their s--t together better than us, so I don't begrudge either side finishing top 6. 

My issue is why aren't we better...

Based on what? Brentford got their first win in 6 and Preston have Lost 3 in a row

Realistically there are 7 teams vying for the last play off spot. The top 4 won’t change, but Forest look fragile so might be caught as well.

It’s in our own hands whether or not we make the playoffs. We still have to play quite a few of those teams around us, so wins against them will give us more breathing space. And given yesterday’s performance, I would hope that the players will give their all in these fixtures.

My worry remains our home form and particularly the games against Stoke and Hull. Just because they are towards the bottom of the table, these are not gimmes. In fact, in the last few seasons, these are just the type of teams we slip up against (think Sunderland and Wigan).

The reality is that we need to average 2 points per game from now to the end of the season. Possible but quite a challenge given our fixtures. The nightmare scenario for me remains the possibility of making the playoffs but needing a win against Preston in the last game of the season. If that is the situation and it’s them or us, you just know that we are going to blow it against one of our bogey teams!

We're entering the silly season too. Teams start bottling it as the pressure mounts up and teams down the bottom start winning runs. Look at Wigan. Lose at home to us then beat West Brom and Leeds away. 

It's squeaky bum time as Sir Alex used to say 

11 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Realistically there are 7 teams vying for the last play off spot. The top 4 won’t change, but Forest look fragile so might be caught as well.

It’s in our own hands whether or not we make the playoffs. We still have to play quite a few of those teams around us, so wins against them will give us more breathing space. And given yesterday’s performance, I would hope that the players will give their all in these fixtures.

My worry remains our home form and particularly the games against Stoke and Hull. Just because they are towards the bottom of the table, these are not gimmes. In fact, in the last few seasons, these are just the type of teams we slip up against (think Sunderland and Wigan).

The reality is that we need to average 2 points per game from now to the end of the season. Possible but quite a challenge given our fixtures. The nightmare scenario for me remains the possibility of making the playoffs but needing a win against Preston in the last game of the season. If that is the situation and it’s them or us, you just know that we are going to blow it against one of our bogey teams!

That’s 18 points. I think we need more like 20. Any one know what of the last nine are in front of the cameras.

59 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Based on what? Brentford got their first win in 6 and Preston have Lost 3 in a row

Brentford, 1st win in 6, but only lost 2 in past 12 games. Their wins this season include a 7-0, 5-0, 5-1 and a 4-0 that we all remember. Watkins and Benrahma are quality and on fire this season. 

Preston are having a wobble, I just feel like Millwall, they're well drilled. Blackburn on reasonable form too.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Spot on. 

2) Preston Home

3) Cardiff Home

4) Swansea Away

5) Blackburn Away

O'Neill seems to have Stoke playing how they should.  Won't be easy.

Hull and Sheff W are in free fall, just the type of game to trip us up!

Not an easy game left. But play like we did today and I will be happy, no matter the outcome.

Archived