IGNORED

Pre-match Entertainment/City legends

redordead1

5 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

They tried to start walking round, and then about a third of the way along the South Stand, a sky camera was blocking the way, so they just kinda stopped and all stood there instead 

If I, or any normal person, was organising an important event such as this I would have had a walk through prior to the match to ensure the logistics worked. Obviously nobody from City gave this more than 5 minutes thought and just decided to shunt all the ex players into the corner of the ground and just hope for the best. Why?  IMO it was because whoever organised the 125th anniversary was just interested in having a cheap marketing even. Steve Lansdown has done wonders for the club but, rightly, he’s decided to delegate day to day management to others. Unfortunately, some of these delegatees seem to have limited ability 

Let’s be honest , if this had been the Sags we would have rightly ripping into them for being tinpot for weeks

Im still slightly stunned by how bad and cringeworthy it was.........and sad

What an opportunity to get it right , get some proper legends here, some for the last time , let the fans show their appreciation and for those players to have maybe one last Ashton Gate glow

Very Sad and a massive Own Goal by the Club IMHO

Other than not doing it at all , it simply couldn’t have been done worse - I felt really embarrassed for the greats

Stunningly S**T

• Admin
6 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

They tried to start walking round, and then about a third of the way along the South Stand, a sky camera was blocking the way, so they just kinda stopped and all stood there instead 

Were they blocking or in position to record?

The cameras are very lightweight to hold and walk with 

Just thinking, when I've seen things like this before it's often done at halftime 

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just thinking, when I've seen things like this before it's often done at halftime 

Done properly , they could have even done it after the game

If people knew that Derrick, Dicks, Merrick and numerous others would be there I would hope than that many would have stayed and enjoyed giving them a proper and respectful reception 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Steve Phillips probably has...

Was that ex player earlier in the thread really him? 

If so, how fitting that Maenpaa played yesterday; there’s someone who deals with losing his place in the side with dignity, grace and earns respect from everyone. In stark contrast to some! 

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

It was one of the cameras that is fixed that someone would end up sitting on to film things. Like a gert big thing. 

47 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If I, or any normal person, was organising an important event such as this I would have had a walk through prior to the match to ensure the logistics worked. Obviously nobody from City gave this more than 5 minutes thought and just decided to shunt all the ex players into the corner of the ground and just hope for the best. Why?  IMO it was because whoever organised the 125th anniversary was just interested in having a cheap marketing even. Steve Lansdown has done wonders for the club but, rightly, he’s decided to delegate day to day management to others. Unfortunately, some of these delegatees seem to have limited ability 

It’s true - we just don’t seem to get that side of things, PR and comms I suppose, right. Including yesterday’s farce - the following all seem to get on fans nerves.

Social media behaviour by the club

7 nation army

Downsy

Anniversary kit

Tim Shires/Adam B being replaced by people who don’t necessarily support or understand the club.

There’s more than this too. They may all seem like small things in isolation, but we get it wrong so often. There’s a link with all of them in that they’re all connected to whatever our PR/comms strategy is. 

It only feels in recent years that we’ve got these things wrong. Why is this?

37 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Was that ex player earlier in the thread really him? 

If so, how fitting that Maenpaa played yesterday; there’s someone who deals with losing his place in the side with dignity, grace and earns respect from everyone. In stark contrast to some! 

Flapper certainly will have been approaching the 300 appearance mark mentioned. I'm less critical of the guy as a keeper than many here would be, but he's hardly conducted himself with grace since his exit from AG.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s true - we just don’t seem to get that side of things, PR and comms I suppose, right. Including yesterday’s farce - the following all seem to get on fans nerves.

Social media behaviour by the club

7 nation army

Downsy

Anniversary kit

Tim Shires/Adam B being replaced by people who don’t necessarily support or understand the club.

There’s more than this too. They may all seem like small things in isolation, but we get it wrong so often. There’s a link with all of them in that they’re all connected to whatever our PR/comms strategy is. 

It only feels in recent years that we’ve got these things wrong. Why is this?

As a dinosaur I’m probably not the best to judge - I do some social media browsing but don’t post or use it as much as many and I understand how massively important it has become (The use of social media and general PR) more and more so with each passing year

We seem to have done some good things (The Goal gifs were good - even for the dinosaurs) , the transfer unveiling’s and some of the Club clips posted are interesting , but there is a lot of , what I find cringeworthy stuff , but I don’t know whether that’s just Anne age thing - so it’s interesting to read views of the different younger age bands)

However

Yesterdays (Shamblrs) was nothing to do with anything as complex as Social Media Strategy’s 

It was a simple (Though logistically work heavy) to strange a simple but fitting presentation of the Legends who were clearly proud enough to attend

So so sad 

I appreciate for some younger fans it won’t be a big deal , but for the vast majority it almost certainly was 

I appreciate the world of Mega Warm up sessions , Pitch preparation and Sky have become the priorities)

but for me , actually a sad bit of Club / Fan moments

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As a dinosaur I’m probably not the best to judge - I do some social media browsing but don’t post or use it as much as many and I understand how massively important it has become (The use of social media and general PR) more and more so with each passing year

We seem to have done some good things (The Goal gifs were good - even for the dinosaurs) , the transfer unveiling’s and some of the Club clips posted are interesting , but there is a lot of , what I find cringeworthy stuff , but I don’t know whether that’s just Anne age thing - so it’s interesting to read views of the different younger age bands)

However

Yesterdays (Shamblrs) was nothing to do with anything as complex as Social Media Strategy’s 

It was a simple (Though logistically work heavy) to strange a simple but fitting presentation of the Legends who were clearly proud enough to attend

So so sad 

I appreciate for some younger fans it won’t be a big deal , but for the vast majority it almost certainly was 

I appreciate the world of Mega Warm up sessions , Pitch preparation and Sky have become the priorities)

but for me , actually a sad bit of Club / Fan moments

Agreed. It’s all branches of the same tree for me, someone or a group of people at the club are making decisions that are responsible for all these cock ups and general misunderstanding of the fan base. Yesterday was ridiculously poor, such a shame. I wonder what the guests thought?

RE social media specifically - agreed on the goal gifs, that was brilliant. Started by the Flyers and capitalised on by Adam Baker. I do like the signing unveilings the new team do, it’s the silly jokes (which to their credit they’ve cut down) which people didn’t like.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. It’s all branches of the same tree for me, someone or a group of people at the club are making decisions that are responsible for all these cock ups and general misunderstanding of the fan base. Yesterday was ridiculously poor, such a shame. I wonder what the guests thought?

RE social media specifically - agreed on the goal gifs, that was brilliant. Started by the Flyers and capitalised on by Adam Baker. I do like the signing unveilings the new team do, it’s the silly jokes (which to their credit they’ve cut down) which people didn’t like.

Let’s be honest , if they were really serious about it they could have done an afternoon at the end of the season 

Make sure they invite all the greats and get as many (of proper greats )as they can and wine n dine em , maybe have a short legends game for those able and do a proper presentation of them during the afternoon

Make it free for fans or a nominal £5 -

fan village , profit in catering and beers 

‘ 125 day’ 

I’d like to think enough would go down , in the sun and make it worthy 

As others have stated it was very disappointing yesterday.

It felt exactly like any other normal game, even when we got to our seats in the dolman at 12:15 I couldn’t hear anything or see any of the players. 

Even though I wasn’t born to watch City in the 80s, id of still liked to appreciate the former players. 
Luckily City did a thing on Social Media, interview with Tony Thorpe otherwise I wouldn’t of even known he was there. 

Can’t see how they can rectify this balls up tbh

2 minutes ago, ZiderheadTJ said:

As others have stated it was very disappointing yesterday.

It felt exactly like any other normal game, even when we got to our seats in the dolman at 12:15 I couldn’t hear anything or see any of the players. 

Even though I wasn’t born to watch City in the 80s, id of still liked to appreciate the former players. 
Luckily City did a thing on Social Media, interview with Tony Thorpe otherwise I wouldn’t of even known he was there. 

Can’t see how they can rectify this balls up tbh

I agree , but aside from the shambles yesterday I would like to see them to have a Guest Of the day (Ex Great) And give them an individual 5 min or so slot before the game 

Too many to ever get through , but ....we could at least start 

Sat in lower Lansdown at the Atyeo end and heard the announcement about the ex players, started clapping, and was looking at the tunnel for a few minutes before I realised they had gathered near the South stand.  Couldn't make out who was who from my seat. What a cock up. When they said there was no half time entertainment yesterday I thought it was because the players were going to walk round the pitch or at least go to the centre circle. There would have been plenty of time for that with no half time scores to read out either. Total shambles whoever organised that but I guess we will never know who was responsible for getting it so wrong. City, some times you make me squirm with embarrassment.

8 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Always had the impression that anything pre Lansdown era is held in poor regard.

There’s been a total lack of respect shown to past servants of this club,, most notably with the Ashton Gate 8.

Tells you everything you need to know when they renamed the Williams Stand to that of his own name. There’s a huge ego there and the poor appreciation of our history reflects that. 

In the expectation that they’d do the bare minimum that’s normally involved in these anniversaries of welcoming the old players on to the pitch, I told my 8yr old on the way to our seats that I’d explain who each and every player was and that there’d be players there who I grew up watching when I was his age. I hoped to give him a sense of the history of our club and how each generation has their own heroes etc..

Instead we were treated to a vague bunch of unidentifiable people huddled together in the corner of the ground with no welcome, no introduction, no story of what they had all achieved, nothing...

it was a total embarrassment and the club should be ashamed of how they treated the former players and the fans yesterday. 

You're impression is absolutely correct, anything pre Lansdown's tenure is ignored, or buried in the past.  

I would suggest that consequently the Owners policy has sadly built a club fan base devoid of celebrating its history. It is only when fans stand up and organise it themselves that anything significant happens. i.e. Spirit of 76. Louis Carey testimonial. Gerry Gow's Testimonial and Dinner etc.

We have not had significant success granted, but we have supported the club, some of us a lifetime and deserve a club ownership that appreciates that fact. It seems that the new fans drawn in by the stadium facilities are now the focus and the old devotees, former players and lifelong fans alike are dispensable. 

I was only watching on Sky yesterday,  they only showed a group of people huddled by the pitch, not just ex players but much younger people, guessing it's children etc looking like they had no clue what was going on,  it's a shame that such an opportunity was missed by the club to honour our past, especially for me the 1st division teams and also the pheonix team of the 1982 onwards, how Terry Cooper has not been honoured by the club is a mystery in my eyes, i guess i would be seen as an old nostalgic has been, but atill a shame an opportunity has been missed for me.

34 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

I was only watching on Sky yesterday,  they only showed a group of people huddled by the pitch, not just ex players but much younger people, guessing it's children etc looking like they had no clue what was going on,  it's a shame that such an opportunity was missed by the club to honour our past, especially for me the 1st division teams and also the pheonix team of the 1982 onwards, how Terry Cooper has not been honoured by the club is a mystery in my eyes, i guess i would be seen as an old nostalgic has been, but atill a shame an opportunity has been missed for me.

For the ones that couldn’t make it - You actually saw more than we did at the game !

And The families were probably the families of Gerry Gow and Billy Wedlock who were meant to be present 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

For the ones that couldn’t make it - You actually saw more than we did at the game !

And The families were probably the families of Gerry Gow and Billy Wedlock who were meant to be present 

Said on the screen John Atyeos family were there too. 

On 07/03/2020 at 16:54, Rocky said:

This is the same player who referred to us as and I quote "my previous club" when interviewed about the Johnsons paint trophy semi final while playing for R****rs.

After being luckily plucked from Paulton Rovers to go on and earn a decent living for 10 years I would suggest it is him that is the **** not City

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Said on the screen John Atyeos family were there too. 

Dread to think how they all felt.

What an insult and hope they’ve received apologies from the club as surely there was some kind of cock up and the lack of any presentation, acknowledgement etc.. wasn’t planned?

23 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Thought the whole thing was an absolute mess, and that’s before we consider the fact that we formally celebrated our centenary in 1997!

Still, if it pissed off Steve Phillips then someone deserves some credit! 

Could you imagine something like Saturday being done at Liverpool or United? No, of course not. The club need to address it really, I haven't seen one bit of good feedback about it at all. Their M.O for this sort of thing is to bury their heads in the sand so I don't hold out much hope. It was so tinpot and badly done.

• Admin
22 hours ago, redordead1 said:

@JerrySLO - Do you think the club would be open to a end of season event to make up for the shambles that was yesterday?

Maybe the supporters club and other fans could help organise if it’s beyond the team at City or Bristol Sport to manage.

I reckon the hardest thing about this would be to convince the ex players and supporters that the club wouldn't balls it up again 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Could you imagine something like Saturday being done at Liverpool or United? No, of course not. The club need to address it really, I haven't seen one bit of good feedback about it at all. Their M.O for this sort of thing is to bury their heads in the sand so I don't hold out much hope. It was so tinpot and badly done.

Which is exactly what has happened since 

The silence is deafening 

43 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Thought the whole thing was an absolute mess, and that’s before we consider the fact that we formally celebrated our centenary in 1997!

Glad you mentioned this as I thought I was going mad. I've still got the centenary shirt (1897 - 1997). What's changed?

20200309_163728.jpg

Archived