IGNORED

Pre-match Entertainment/City legends

redordead1

2 hours ago, phantom said:

I reckon the hardest thing about this would be to convince the ex players and supporters that the club wouldn't balls it up again 

Which is exactly what has happened since 

The silence is deafening 

Does @JerrySLO visit or post on here?

He's a great guy and sure he'd help get take this suggestion to the club. 

2 hours ago, Red Grovesy said:

Glad you mentioned this as I thought I was going mad. I've still got the centenary shirt (1897 - 1997). What's changed?

20200309_163728.jpg

Bristol City were formed in 1897, but we started life in 1894 as Bristol South End. The club decided to honour this and changed the formation date to 1894. This date now shows on the new badge, so they made a point of this when announcing the new badge.

7 minutes ago, Ashton Yate said:

Bristol City were formed in 1897, but we started life in 1894 as Bristol South End. The club decided to honour this and changed the formation date to 1894. This date now shows on the new badge, so they made a point of this when announcing the new badge.

Thanks.

On 08/03/2020 at 16:13, marmite said:

Sat in lower Lansdown at the Atyeo end and heard the announcement about the ex players, started clapping, and was looking at the tunnel for a few minutes before I realised they had gathered near the South stand.  Couldn't make out who was who from my seat. What a cock up. When they said there was no half time entertainment yesterday I thought it was because the players were going to walk round the pitch or at least go to the centre circle. There would have been plenty of time for that with no half time scores to read out either. Total shambles whoever organised that but I guess we will never know who was responsible for getting it so wrong. City, some times you make me squirm with embarrassment.

I barely knew it was going on, couldn't see anyone didn't know where they were, only thing my dad said was he saw TInman on the screen couldnt really hear him and had no awareness of anyone else there.

I think sporting clubs in the south-west are trying to out do each other in disrespecting people.

It seems pretty close-run thing this weekend as to who has made the biggest PR disaster/exhibited the greatest level of insensitivity.

0ver 2,000 people lost their jobs overnight at Flybe last week. Flybe has sponsored Exeter Chiefs since around 2012. A few, now redundant, Flybe staff were awarded tickets by their former employer for the Chief’s home game against Bath. Guess what? They were turned away at the turnstiles as the Club wouldn’t accept their complementary tickets (the ex-Flybe staff having paid car parking/travel costs to get there)!

Unbelievable crassness and insensitivity. I’ve  occasionally been to Sandy Park. Never again. 

If the Bears want to do a PR job and invite ex-Flybe staff to The Gate - the door is open!

Been thinking since Saturday how we should celebrate our past heroes properly. How about having a Hall of Fame day each season. One game is chosen as the Hall of Fame day where existing Hall of Fame players/families are invited along.  New inductees could be elected to the Hall of Fame on that day.

10 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Been thinking since Saturday how we should celebrate our past heroes properly. How about having a Hall of Fame day each season. One game is chosen as the Hall of Fame day where existing Hall of Fame players/families are invited along.  New inductees could be elected to the Hall of Fame on that day.

Great idea and would allow us to almost start from scratch and go some way to repairing the damage done in recent years to past player relationships etc...

15 hours ago, phantom said:

I reckon the hardest thing about this would be to convince the ex players and supporters that the club wouldn't balls it up again 

Which is exactly what has happened since 

The silence is deafening 

Every time the club mess up they bury their heads in the sand and press on.

We know they're aware of fan feedback, I don't think it's a coincidence that they've toned down the silliness on social media and (eventually) binned off 7 nation army after fairly strong negative feedback on here and Twitter. 

Unfortunately we all know they will wait for it to blow over and go back to posting "Monday Motivation" with a picture of the players training or something on Twitter. What they should do, and this would reflect really well, is acknowledge that they got it wrong and do something to make it right.

I know it's not to do with the playing side, but you'd expect a club with serious aspirations of being in the Prem to get this sort of thing right. 

12 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

The SC&T have had a hall of fame up and running for a few years now. :)

https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/heritage/

20 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Could you imagine something like Saturday being done at Liverpool or United? No, of course not. The club need to address it really, I haven't seen one bit of good feedback about it at all. Their M.O for this sort of thing is to bury their heads in the sand so I don't hold out much hope. It was so tinpot and badly done.

I've watched City since 1981, and they have always been clumsy and amateurish with this sort of thing. It's like it is hard wired into the club.

Not a personal attack on Jerry as I appreciate his role etc within the club, but I find the below hard to swallow.

I was really looking forward to seeing a few old faces on the day and as requested by the club was sat in my seat in the Lansdown Stand promptly.

I can't believe it was not logistically possible to introduce each player. Did we introduce any player?

We have seen it done by many many teams before when we have been visiting and they manage to get large number of players introduced

I have no idea why SKY is relevant, in an interview with the local rag is was confirmed SKY did not impact on the proceedings

As for the feedback, well put it this way, there were a large number of those players in a well known local pub after the game and they were certainly pissed off with the way the club had treated them that afternoon.

The fact that our SLO (on OTIB) and kit man (on Twiter) were appealing for players details so late before the event rang alarm bells with me.

As for the many players that were not invited to the game that gave many years to our club, they are equally pissed off as those that made the commitment to attend

image.thumb.png.ebb7c0d621a8afa78b3329b0addc68f2.png

13 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Not a personal attack on Jerry as I appreciate his role etc within the club, but I find the below hard to swallow.

I was really looking forward to seeing a few old faces on the day and as requested by the club was sat in my seat in the Lansdown Stand promptly.

I can't believe it was not logistically possible to introduce each player. Did we introduce any player?

We have seen it done by many many teams before when we have been visiting and they manage to get large number of players introduced

I have no idea why SKY is relevant, in an interview with the local rag is was confirmed SKY did not impact on the proceedings

As for the feedback, well put it this way, there were a large number of those players in a well known local pub after the game and they were certainly pissed off with the way the club had treated them that afternoon.

The fact that our SLO (on OTIB) and kit man (on Twiter) were appealing for players details so late before the event rang alarm bells with me.

As for the many players that were not invited to the game that gave many years to our club, they are equally pissed off as those that made the commitment to attend

image.thumb.png.ebb7c0d621a8afa78b3329b0addc68f2.png

I second that! I don't care what Sky think TBH!

On 07/03/2020 at 16:26, oldstandrobin said:

One of the worst presentations I have ever seen. Luckily I had Ray Cashley sat in front of me and talked about that famous goal v Hull.  If this is how we celebrate our 125 years, glad I wont be here for the 200 !!! Bloody amatuerish  and players, managers should have been introduced to the supporters so we could have given them the appreciation they deserved

Il bet the old players were embarrassed by it and had to pay for their own drinks with no season ticket reduction ??

19 hours ago, Ashton Yate said:

As far as most people were concerned, it always was 1894.

The club came out with the 1897 nonsense, when they realises that the 1994 centenary had been forgotten. Absolute prize bellends.

I wasn't at the game due to work commitments so can't comment on what happened other than the little bits that came across on Sky. But was nice to hear Liquidator in the background and the fanfare make a return followed by 'One for the Bristol City'.

@DownsyBCFC said on Twitter it was reverted back to the old school for the 125 anniversary so no idea if it was a one off or it will remain for the rest of the season. But either way, was nice to hear it and it seemed to go down well.

Even the anniversary shirt which has overall gone down like a lead balloon actually looked alright on the TV. 

The strangest thing I've actually thought about the whole thing is the choice of date/game to celebrate the 125th Anniversary. I'd have thought it would have been done as a pre-season game or first game of the season sort of event.... rather than a random game in March. Especially as this is the business end of the season so all efforts should be focused on the first team and the results.

Also the whole thing just seemed to come out of the blue. So for that reason, perhaps the people tasked with planning it should be given a bit of slack as they probably had about as much notice as the fans! Not making excuses for anyone but just saying how I see it.

5 hours ago, Tim S said:

I wasn't at the game due to work commitments so can't comment on what happened other than the little bits that came across on Sky. But was nice to hear Liquidator in the background and the fanfare make a return followed by 'One for the Bristol City'.

@DownsyBCFC said on Twitter it was reverted back to the old school for the 125 anniversary so no idea if it was a one off or it will remain for the rest of the season. But either way, was nice to hear it and it seemed to go down well.

Even the anniversary shirt which has overall gone down like a lead balloon actually looked alright on the TV. 

The strangest thing I've actually thought about the whole thing is the choice of date/game to celebrate the 125th Anniversary. I'd have thought it would have been done as a pre-season game or first game of the season sort of event.... rather than a random game in March. Especially as this is the business end of the season so all efforts should be focused on the first team and the results.

Also the whole thing just seemed to come out of the blue. So for that reason, perhaps the people tasked with planning it should be given a bit of slack as they probably had about as much notice as the fans! Not making excuses for anyone but just saying how I see it.

Agree 100% about the music, but whichever angle you look at it Tim, overall the whole thing was generally a shambles and particularly offensive to those of us "of mature years" who have actually watched the greats over the last few decades. But tbh I'm not sure what else we would've expected from Bristol Sport....

• Admin
7 hours ago, Tim S said:

Also the whole thing just seemed to come out of the blue. So for that reason, perhaps the people tasked with planning it should be given a bit of slack as they probably had about as much notice as the fans! 

The reason for the kit looking better on TV was the fact the kids just blurred into a red shirt and wasn't possible to see the mismatched shirts put together 

I agree about how it all felt really rushed, I'm still puzzled about how the change of badge in the summer suddenly meant after over 100 years our formation date suddenly changed 

Planning for this game should have started before the season started with contacting ex players etc, the warning signs were there when Jerry was asking for contacts on here and Scott was tweeting for details 

It's amazing how far as a club we've progressed and rightly talked about as being top flight ready, but sadly we're still non league level in many many things we do

On 09/03/2020 at 19:08, Ashton Yate said:

Thank god - I’ve always been too scared to ask 

Archived