IGNORED

Throw ins - awful

DaveInSA

When discussing Weimann someone said to me have I ever seen Weimann want the ball to his feet from a throw in? And the answer is no I haven't. I kept an eye on him today with throw ins and he walks away with his head down. That's one less player every time who we can throw it to.

I think another problem is with throw ins is similar to our problem with passing it out the back. Too many players not on to pass to or throw to.

Movement, movement, movement. It’s our biggest problem in general imo. No angles created, no showing to feet. Although I can think of 2 players that do show & that would be Naggy & Massengo, although often it’s thrown towards their midriff! Feet & back, quite a simple concept. Give your teammate the opportunity to pass the ball back with one touch, now there’s a noble idea. Basics that I was taught when I was about 12 I would imagine. COYR 

3 hours ago, Prinny said:

I feel like we've NEVER been good at throw ins?

I genuinely don't remember a prolonged period of time (in 25+ years) where we've run around and tried to create space consistently.

I think today was the first time I’ve heard LJ criticising our throw ins,  but we’ve never been particularly good at them except when Hörður Magnússon was in the team and that was only due to how far he could throw the ball 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

When discussing Weimann someone said to me have I ever seen Weimann want the ball to his feet from a throw in? And the answer is no I haven't. I kept an eye on him today with throw ins and he walks away with his head down. That's one less player every time who we can throw it to.

I think another problem is with throw ins is similar to our problem with passing it out the back. Too many players not on to pass to or throw to.

It’s usually because the opposition plant someone in front of the receiver down the line.  He’ll come short if he’s the inside player not the “down the line” target.

As for throw-ins generally, today we were much better.  We had better movement, because Pato / O’Dowda gave us fluidity.

After the recent comments on here I actually looked out for what happened today and it seemed to depend on who the ball was thrown to. If it was COD or Pato something often happened but others not so much and we often lost the ball,

It was the same with playing out from the back (which I am starting to get extremely annoyed by). When it`s just sent out to NB or TK it inevitably Fulham pressed us and we ended up in trouble so I don`t know why we persist with it all the time. The only time it worked today to any effect was when Pato came back into space on the left, got the ball thrown to him, and immediately ran at them creating a good chance.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s usually because the opposition plant someone in front of the receiver down the line.  He’ll come short if he’s the inside player not the “down the line” target.

As for throw-ins generally, today we were much better.  We had better movement, because Pato / O’Dowda gave us fluidity.

We must have been typing this at the same time!

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah if the ball is thrown for him to run on to. But I don't think I've ever seen him happy to receive a throw to feet when a player is on him. Something Fam does fairly regularly.

I'm guessing he must have at some point. But he seems to love running onto things usually in space, but does really not seem to like the ball to his feet when an opposing player is close.

I don't understand why he doesn't back himself to hold a player off and keep hold of the ball in such situations.

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

After the recent comments on here I actually looked out for what happened today and it seemed to depend on who the ball was thrown to. If it was COD or Pato something often happened but others not so much and we often lost the ball,

It was the same with playing out from the back (which I am starting to get extremely annoyed by). When it`s just sent out to NB or TK it inevitably Fulham pressed us and we ended up in trouble so I don`t know why we persist with it all the time. The only time it worked today to any effect was when Pato came back into space on the left, got the ball thrown to him, and immediately ran at them creating a good chance.

The playing out the back has been awful all season. It's the shape we play in. We at times had 4 or even 5 players in their half and we were trying to pass it out when they had nearly half their team pressing us. 

I think I get what LJ might be planning. Don't have too many numbers back in our half so if we beat the press with the few we have, then we have numbers in the next phase to pass to.

It is incredibly risky though. Whenever we do succeed in passing it into the opposing half, it often looks like we have done incredibly well to do so, as it looks too hard to do with how we set up.

A few things could be improved:

1.Coaching ball boys to throw well when it's our ball and badly when it is with the opponents. 

2. This extra time should give oppo less time to make well;as would more of runs (options) 

3.Throw to feet unless for a headed flick on. I though ODowda was really good v Fulham but he always chests the ball upwards, making it harder to control. 

4. Get a long throw to Fam's HEAD, even though I know Brownhill and Taylor Moore aren't available. 

Training ground stuff, surely? 

On 07/03/2020 at 14:28, DaveInSA said:

Why can we not seem to retain possession from our own throw ins. 

Fulham’s goal came from a throw that we turned over possession. Seems such a simple thing to do? 

I've been banging that drum for about 20 years.

It aint going to change - they obviously think there is no problem.

On 07/03/2020 at 14:28, DaveInSA said:

Why can we not seem to retain possession from our own throw ins. 

Fulham’s goal came from a throw that we turned over possession. Seems such a simple thing to do? 

I've highlighted this many times we must be one of the poorest teams I've seen to either use the ball wisely or simply can't defend them.... BASICS.

On 07/03/2020 at 15:30, JonDolman said:

I've noticed this with Weimann too Jon. He sometimes moves towards an opposing player to make himself marked and unavailable. Our throws come down to 3 options. Up the line for Fam to knock on,  short to someone who immediately gives it back to the thrower who is under pressure, or backwards towards our own goal.  If anyone can remember the last time we scored from a quick throw I'd be very surprised.

7 minutes ago, marmite said:

I've noticed this with Weimann too Jon. He sometimes moves towards an opposing player to make himself marked and unavailable. Our throws come down to 3 options. Up the line for Fam to knock on,  short to someone who immediately gives it back to the thrower who is under pressure, or backwards towards our own goal.  If anyone can remember the last time we scored from a quick throw I'd be very surprised.

Yep. He goes missing on throw ins.

Not just on throw ins but in his general game he likes the ball only in space. I've never seen him have the ball at his feet with his back to goal with a player on him.

I can remember an interview when Steve Cotts mentioned the importance of keeping possession of a throw in (one of his pet hates if I recall).Perhaps that’s why we won the double that year!

It must be frustrating for the whole coaching team when sometimes the players don’t do the basics on a match day.

Archived