IGNORED

Wells second goal for City

Major Isewater

49 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The clue is in the thread title.

I thought he was looking sharp early on and am delighted that he got on the score sheet for his second goal since his signing.

Can only boost his confidence. 

Indeed Major...with the right service/a bit more creativity he would fill his boots...

Hope I'm wrong but for a few minutes before the substitution he was looking decidedly 'hamstringy.....

He'd even motioned to Fammy not to give him the ball..?

12 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

I’ll be the first to say it then, having played him the Weimann and Diedhou can we now try him with Palmer 

LJ will be trying things out till the last game of the season.  
To my mind the inconsistency in team selection, in tactics, etc has been what has led to inconsistency in matches.

Thought Wells and Weimann linked pretty well today.  Weimann’s best game in a little while.  They both found pockets (Weimann especially) but also stretched Fulham in behind the full-backs.

i found out after the game Fam had a little groin niggle, but I think we saw what problems two mobile strikers can cause.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought Wells and Weimann linked pretty well today.  Weimann’s best game in a little while.  They both found pockets (Weimann especially) but also stretched Fulham in behind the full-backs.

i found out after the game Fam had a little groin niggle, but I think we saw what problems two mobile strikers can cause.

You’d think with Fam’s build he’d have a big groin niggle . 

Definitely thought he played well, well taken goal amongst the chaos in the box. 

He also made some great runs at the defenders, sometimes cutting in or passing, sometimes staying wide which kept them guessing. The sort of player we need for a top 6 push, but can't shrug the feeling the rest of the team often lets him down and we're not seeing him at his best yet.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Indeed Major...with the right service/a bit more creativity he would fill his boots...

Hope I'm wrong but for a few minutes before the substitution he was looking decidedly 'hamstringy.....

He'd even motioned to Fammy not to give him the ball..?

He overstretched for a ball and stayed down for a while. Came off a couple of minutes later. Didn’t look particularly great.

15 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

He overstretched for a ball and stayed down for a while. Came off a couple of minutes later. Didn’t look particularly great.

I thought that and hope we took him off as a precaution.

Huge credit to Fam for the goal - he caused absolute chaos in their box and left Nakhi free albeit still with a bit to do.

14 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Palmer has done nothing to suggest he wants to be in the team. Whenever he's come on he's been a liability.

Do you think perhaps that's because he is desperate to impress - so he tries too hard.

We need to show him we believe in him - we do this with Massengo (and he makes mistakes which we all put down to inexperience)

11 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Palmer has done nothing to suggest he wants to be in the team. Whenever he's come on he's been a liability.

I don’t agree , whenever he’s come on he’s got stuck in . The problem is he hasn’t had a run of games to establish himself and have the confidence to express himself without the worry of being dropped for his mistakes.

He is trying too hard when he gets a sniff of a game .

If LJ showed the confidence that he has in him like he does for Pato or COD , for example , then maybe we would see the talent that is clearly there .

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I don’t agree , whenever he’s come on he’s got stuck in . The problem is he hasn’t had a run of games to establish himself and have the confidence to express himself without the worry of being dropped for his mistakes.

If LJ showed the confidence that he has in him like he does for Pato or COD , for example , then maybe we would see the talent that is clearly there .

I wouldn't deny for one moment Palmer has the talent. But he doesn't have the application, something that was apparent when he was at Blackburn and when he came here on loan. I was rather underwhelmed when we signed him and I'm still underwhelmed now. He needs to force himself into the team by applying himself.

25 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I wouldn't deny for one moment Palmer has the talent. But he doesn't have the application, something that was apparent when he was at Blackburn and when he came here on loan. I was rather underwhelmed when we signed him and I'm still underwhelmed now. He needs to force himself into the team by applying himself.

Didn’t he ‘ apply ‘ himself in pre- pre-season by working with Jamie Lawrence the fitness guru ? 

He was really happy to be here and feel wanted . He talked of finally settling at a club and having a nice city to bring his kid up in .

Was that not motivation ?

He was all set up to succeed then what happened ?

I am not referring to the Benik Afobe injury or the desperately sad loss of BA’s daughter those are important side effects to KP’s season but the lad wants to showcase his talent and is not getting a look in , he is our fourth or fifth most expensive signing in our history and one of the top earners , it is shocking that a coach as good as LJ can’t get him firing for us . 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Also, in many games he's been brought on in games when we've been playing poorly as a team.

Anyone that's played the game will know that it is pretty soul destroying to be asked to do this and with the expectation that almost single handedly you will change the game. Then, as you suggest, the danger is that the player tries too hard and looks bad as a result.

Seeing the way he was staring t link up with Afobe earlier in the season, you'd think Wells playing up front would suite KP's game to a tee. Unfortunately I think with our midfield having looked  fragile of late, LJ will be loath to risk playing Palmer, as I reckon he would prefer to keep midfield tight so as to bolster the defence. 

It's been said on here and possibly some truth in it that he didn't want to come here but didn't have a lot of choice as he was part of the Brownhill deal but the way he celebrated his goal in front of the crowd and team mates he looked pretty dam pleased with it !!?

Archived