Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

5 minutes ago, Nibor said:

No, because I watch the games I've formed an opinion and happily the stats agree.  That's a better place to be than having an opinion based solely on nothing you've so far cared to explain.  I guess you will be able to pick out instances of great defensive play by O'Dowda to back up your view and counter the times he's been strolled past or lost his man and caused a goal.  Similarly you will be able to articulate the many times Eliasson has been at fault to outweigh his excellent attacking contribution.  Trust in the manager's football knowledge is a useless way to base an opinion for the purposes of debate.

You might have the time to spare but I don’t.  Accusing someone of being a players father seems useless as well.

I’d rather save the time and agree to disagree. Cheers 

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Ok, he waited to be sold and go to another Club, but he still is here. We will see when the season is over. Maybe other Clubs see something in him as LJ does. Fact is that he has not many assists and goals compare to Eliasson. Think COD got one goal and one assist. Niclas have two goals and maybe 12 assists. Who would I chose If I was a manager in another Club?

I'm sure Eliasson has played loads more minutes than O'Dowda. And also you are comparing O'Dowda with the best at assists in the entire league. Not many do compare with Eliasson when it comes to assists.

I have never said O'Dowda is better than Eliasson. But Fulham did certainly try and buy him in the summer and it's rumoured Leeds and Forest were after him too.

So your argument that teams didn't want O'Dowda is untrue.

I don't get how our team of master coach's can't work on Elliasons defensive game to get him in. 

All this Elliason is a lousy defender makes me wonder what they work on with him. 

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I don't get how our team of master coach's can't work on Elliasons defensive game to get him in. 

All this Elliason is a lousy defender makes me wonder what they work on with him. 

Seems to me that most people who say that can't really elaborate on it and what they really mean is he's small.  I think when he's played in front of Hunt he's covered the overlap reasonably well and he cuts out a fair few crosses.  He's never going to be an effective marker at set pieces for sure but he'd have to be absolutely terrible defensively for it to matter given what he does going forward and he isn't that.

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Seems to me that most people who say that can't really elaborate on it and what they really mean is he's small.  I think when he's played in front of Hunt he's covered the overlap reasonably well and he cuts out a fair few crosses.  He's never going to be an effective marker at set pieces for sure but he'd have to be absolutely terrible defensively for it to matter given what he does going forward and he isn't that.

I broadly agree. It seems he’s the fall guy for our defensive frailty as we are often lightweight in the middle. He won the ball excellently in our own corner in the final few minutes, which he does do often so he’s not lazy. Still he will be gone by August for a boat load of money so we wont have to worry.

For the record COD had a decent game by his own standards and was involved quite a bit. Good for him and Us.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

I think a lot of fans are beguiled by his running with the ball and miss out on the fact that for goals and assists per minutes on the pitch Eliasson is six times as effective.  Picking either for defensive merit is madness.

Not been a big supporter of his but keeping it simple he worked very hard today,,had a decent game...only criticism I have is when a decision goes against him he reacts & wastes time remonstrating and whining even when the ball's still in play - just stay alert & tuck back in! - definitely gave 100%....fair play,,,do it again please!

Edited by Robert the bruce
28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm sure Eliasson has played loads more minutes than O'Dowda. And also you are comparing O'Dowda with the best at assists in the entire league. Not many do compare with Eliasson when it comes to assists.

I have never said O'Dowda is better than Eliasson. But Fulham did certainly try and buy him in the summer and it's rumoured Leeds and Forest were after him too.

So your argument that teams didn't want O'Dowda is untrue.

Dont know If Niclas played more min than COD, never mind. Dont say Niclas is Messi but in my eyes a class better than COD eight days a week. COD still is here and Im not trying to lie If any other Clubs want him. Doubt that he will be in the starting eleven in Leeds or Fulham for example. For me Eliasson is a better player eight days a week. We got different  thinking of COD and Niclas, accept that. COYR!!!

Agree with Jon, probably his best performance in a long while.

My only cautionary word is that he has his better performances against team that give you a bit of space.

But he was good today, no denying that.  Hope he keeps it up (green shoots last week).  Gives much better defensive shape than Eliasson, and came off the touchline to give us an extra man w/o the ball, and broke the lines with it.  Much more of an influence that Pato today, and rightly was the sub today.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My only cautionary word is that he has his better performances against team that give you a bit of space.

But he was good today, no denying that.  Hope he keeps it up (green shoots last week).  Gives much better defensive shape than Eliasson, and came off the touchline to give us an extra man w/o the ball, and broke the lines with it.  Much more of an influence that Pato today, and rightly was the sub today.

On his day he’s brilliant. Thought he did well today and he must have been so happy not to be the inevitable substitute. I thought we could have kept Patto on as well and substituted Massengo with KP.

• Like 1

I thought he was great today.  I liked his interview in the lead up.  Seems like he knows he has to grow up and take more responsibility.  

He hasn't really showed his best form for a long while now, so hopefully he'll put a decent with run of performances together now.  

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

COD was good yesterday, he use to play not so good. You say COD is better in defensive than Niclas, maybe, Im glad for COD but If we should win games I think its better to play Eliasson. Nagy, Eliasson, Famara for me there are 3 players who can be the different in a game. COD is ok but as I see it he does not do the extra that can change a game. As a City supporter I really hope he can do it this season. He will probably start vs Blackburn and Niclas on the bench. Always backed LJ but in this case Im not in his way of thinking. Its not because Niclas is a Swede  that Im writing this its because Eliasson is a City player. We have nine games to go and I think we should give us the chance to be top six. To be there we must have players that can do that litlle extra. 

13 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

On his day he’s brilliant. Thought he did well today and he must have been so happy not to be the inevitable substitute. I thought we could have kept Patto on as well and substituted Massengo with KP.

Absolutely. 
Massengo imho was our weakest link. COD did quite well and I was amazed when Pato was subbed. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

COD was good yesterday, he use to play not so good. You say COD is better in defensive than Niclas, maybe, Im glad for COD but If we should win games I think its better to play Eliasson. Nagy, Eliasson, Famara for me there are 3 players who can be the different in a game. COD is ok but as I see it he does not do the extra that can change a game. As a City supporter I really hope he can do it this season. He will probably start vs Blackburn and Niclas on the bench. Always backed LJ but in this case Im not in his way of thinking. Its not because Niclas is a Swede  that Im writing this its because Eliasson is a City player. We have nine games to go and I think we should give us the chance to be top six. To be there we must have players that can do that litlle extra. 

Overall, I’ve been pretty critical of both Callum and Niclas, but Niclas has two big areas to develop for me:

- receiving positions / angles - too easily marked out of games (and teams don’t even need to double up) and doesn’t come inside off of the line to change the passing angle or to drag defender around.  It was this dimension that Callum gave us yesterday.

- shape discipline w/o the ball - he’s generally bloody awful.  Not aware of when opposition players are dragging him out of position to create space elsewhere.

I think the two of these go hand-in-hand to some extent, and it’s part football intelligence / part communication.

Don't get me wrong, get him on the ball and he’s so threatening.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Pato back to his old self . Anonymous most of the time 

• Like 2

I think this has been a balanced discussion. Yesterday's game was very physical with many crunching challenges, encouraged by a "free flowing" ref. COD has bulked out in the last two years and is more aggressive than Eliasson. LJ got it right yesterday having done his homework on Fulham. Horses for courses....I think we're lucky to have them both in the squad👏👏

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Overall, I’ve been pretty critical of both Callum and Niclas, but Niclas has two big areas to develop for me:

- receiving positions / angles - too easily marked out of games (and teams don’t even need to double up) and doesn’t come inside off of the line to change the passing angle or to drag defender around.  It was this dimension that Callum gave us yesterday.

- shape discipline w/o the ball - he’s generally bloody awful.  Not aware of when opposition players are dragging him out of position to create space elsewhere.

I think the two of these go hand-in-hand to some extent, and it’s part football intelligence / part communication.

Being in the Dolman we get a close look at Eliasson and for much of this season  he’d inevitably come inside onto his left. However... in recent games he’s become less predictable and has started to cut both ways. Now obviously opposition teams are aware of our players strengths and weaknesses and covering Elliason was fairly straightforward - until the last few matches.

Im assuming that the coaches at Failand have been working with him on improving his right and it seems to have been working.

As for CoD I thought he was pretty good yesterday as were most of the team. 

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Being in the Dolman we get a close look at Eliasson and for much of this season  he’d inevitably come inside onto his left.

Funnily enough, being in the Lansdown, we get to see him close-up too - just the opposite half if the game 😂😂😂

I’m talking about his movement without the ball...to get in positions to receive.  He’s a touchline hugger.  I’m perfectly happy with his choices to go left and right once he’s got it.

However... in recent games he’s become less predictable and has started to cut both ways.Now obviously opposition teams are aware of our players strengths and weaknesses and covering Elliason was fairly straightforward - until the last few matches.

Im assuming that the coaches at Failand have been working with him on improving his right and it seems to have been working.

I think his right foot is decent enough anyway.  He stands up a pretty decent cross with his wrong foot.

As for CoD I thought he was pretty good yesterday as were most of the team. 

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with you about Eliasson he stili is in development and can be better in many areas. He seldom went central and he passes rather than take a shot in good positions. He scored two goals and both times he got in the box. He is a natural winger and have work to do in positions. When COD came i liked him and thought he was a tricky player he has not developed as many have expected. Both I hope can be better.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Pato back to his old self . Anonymous most of the time 

I’m by no means his biggest fan but he’s spent a lot of time out wide in recent games. He’s always been far more effective playing more centrally IMO.

• Like 1

I remember being really enthusiastic about this signing at the time.

After 4 seasons, 8 goals & 10 assists (could be wrong on this) It’s not really worked out here for COD. Frustrating as I think he has/had potential. So inconsistent & largely ineffective. Real shame.