IGNORED

Nathan ‘sick note’ Baker

fishy

when baker first came,it was the reckless days to get a bit of time off I noticed. that got nipped in the bud but soft injuries seem to have replaced them.

its almost like he needs a bit of time off the following Saturday.

I don't have a clue what goes on with baker but most centre backs are normally a lot tougher than him. great on his day but far from reliable since day one

So.....

.... until 15:25 yesterday:

”Baker has been a rock”

”Baker back to his best”

etc

at 15:30 yesterday:

”body like a quaver”

”no heart”

”get rid in January”

be careful what you wish for.  If we were to get rid, you’ve got to be pretty sure you can bring in an upgrade who will settle in seamlessly.  I look at Clarke and Bielik at Derby, who have struggled early on at Derby after being much heralded.

A question.  Would you rather Baker tried to hide his calf injury?  After he tweaked it there was an occasion where he got done down the touchline and another where he desperately shielded the ball back to Bentley, because he knew he couldn’t win the sprint.  He knew he was struggling, and who knows, the next time he might lose out and we’d concede.

I’m sure LJ was disappointed, but imagine he really aggravated it and is out for weeks?  That’s no good either is it, especially with Wright just back in training.

Baker has been part of an improving defence, has played well himself.  He has injury problems, we know that, I’m just glad we had this little spell out of him.  Of course it would be great if he did t pick up knocks, but we all knew his DNA when we signed him.  It’s probably why he’s in the Champ and not the Prem.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 22:19, bcfc01 said:

I suppose I am "old School" in that I just don't like players signalling to come off the pitch.

Baker does this too regularly for my liking.

It lets people down, others play through a slight injury but he doesn't seem able to do it.

When you select a team you should be able to expect the players to complete the 90 minutes - you can't do that with Baker as he gets a twinge and he's got his hand up to come off.

Up to now he's been great, but he's now reverted to as he was - unreliable.

When has he asked to come off previosly? He's gone off injured before, but if you could confirm the times it was because he asked to please? How do you know it was a slight injury and not someting he recognised as potentially serious?

Due to his injury record I'd also suggest that asking to come off because something doesn't feel right is to be commended, rather than selfishly playing on, making the injury worse and being out for longer.

On 22/09/2019 at 09:13, Bristol Rob said:

Amazed at the number of you who think he should have played on and risked further injury that could leave him in the treatment room for an extended period of time.

Baker would obviously be aware of injuries to other defenders, Moore being on a yellow, a limited number of defensive options on the bench, the fact William's and Moore hadn't marshalled a back 4 together before  l, and he still indicated he needed to come off.

Strikes me as a brave decision.

Exactly. And with a fully fit squad, and a different injury record for that particular player, I might feel differently but it would be massively irresponsible for any of our defenders to knowingly risk aggravating an injury with two centre-backs out already and a massive shortage of cover. We do not need any more injuries at the moment. I'm all for Baker not taking chances. 

On 21/09/2019 at 21:12, JonDolman said:

I thought strangely Rowe was so narrow and more alongside Williams and Moore. O'Dowda was quite deep for a winger and more like a wing back. And Hunt seemed more advanced than Rowe the other side. That all changed second half when more subs were made, but it still for a while looked like 352 to me.

Spot on. No real change in shape, just that players were shuffled around 

Can't believe that anyone on here is criticising Baker for this. Anyone who has done any sport or heavy physical activity will know that sometimes you can feel an injury coming (unusual tightness/pain). To suggest that he should have gone on until damage was caused is ridiculous! Better to miss half a game than six?

44 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Can't believe that anyone on here is criticising Baker for this. Anyone who has done any sport or heavy physical activity will know that sometimes you can feel an injury coming (unusual tightness/pain). To suggest that he should have gone on until damage was caused is ridiculous! Better to miss half a game than six?

Unfortunately its not a rare occurrence with Baker. If he's so unfit he should consider a different career.

He’s had a very good season so far and doesn’t shirk putting his body on the line. We need him right now and he’s played a significant role in our table position. Hopefully he was just using common sense to maintain his fitness and availability.  I think this season he deserves praise rather than any questions about his commitment and attitude. 

4 hours ago, phantom said:

The odd thing about Baker in his time with us he has been subbed during or before half time 19 times!!

There is something not right about that

That stat was to bed on the first page of this thread:

FAKE NEWS:

In 88 appearances for City, he has been subbed during the first half or at half time:

Once this season.

3 times last season.

4 the season before, once for Steele after Frankie got sent off, so really 3 times.

TOTAL: 7 (8)

Yes he's had his fair share of injuries and suspensions, but your stat is plain incorrect.

16 minutes ago, wood_red said:

FAKE NEWS:

In 88 appearances for City, he has been subbed during the first half or at half time:

Once this season.

3 times last season.

4 the season before, once for Steele after Frankie got sent off, so really 3 times.

Yes he's had his fair share of injuries and suspensions, but your stat is plain incorrect.

....and a guy that has had back issues throughout his career....and backs caused knock on issues throughout the rest of the body.

Its not like we didn’t know what we were signing is it?

He’s been good this season...not sure he would’ve wanted to come off.

Bit imho, if he felt a twinge, he did the right thing.  Might mean he will be ok for this weekend.  If so, it was right thing to do.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

....and a guy that has had back issues throughout his career....and backs caused knock on issues throughout the rest of the body.

Bit imho, if he felt a twinge, he did the right thing.  Might mean he will be ok for this weekend.  If so, it was right thing to do.

If he would have stayed on and got a serious injury, or cost us a goal etc he would have been slated on here and probably by LJ as well. 100% he done the right thing imo, nobody knows what he felt or how bad it was etc except for Baker himself - and he has been super for us so far this season.

5 hours ago, phantom said:

The odd thing about Baker in his time with us he has been subbed during or before half time 19 times!!

There is something not right about that

**** me!!!

Talk about inflation!

It was 16 time earlier in the thread!

I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply in post 35 of this thread.

:innocent06:

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree and to be fair to him he didn’t come off immediately. I could see he had done something  - I thought he’d injured his knee but understand it was calf - and he played on for a while after that so it is not as though he threw the towel in immediately.

• Admin
15 hours ago, wood_red said:

FAKE NEWS:

Once this season.

3 times last season.

Sorry to disappoint but it isn't "fake news"

Have a look through his stats on this site, all detailed here

EDIT: Just realised I forgot to post the link, luckilly @Davefevs was on the ball 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Sorry to disappoint but it isn't "fake news"

Have a look through his stats on this site, all detailed here

Have you looked at the stats yourself?!

It is fake news - the original statement made was Baker has been subbed injured during the first half of a game 16 times (now 19?! according to you).

The figure is actually 8 times, and once was sacrificed for Frankie after he was sent off. 

The link to the stats given back that up. Have a look.

41 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Have you looked at the stats yourself?!

It is fake news - the original statement made was Baker has been subbed injured during the first half of a game 16 times (now 19?! according to you).

The figure is actually 8 times, and once was sacrificed for Frankie after he was sent off. 

The link to the stats given back that up. Have a look.

Think the total differs depending on whether you include loan or not....but I can’t be arsed to check, as I’m not debating the numbers (most unlike me) ???

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think the total differs depending on whether you include loan or not....but I can’t be arsed to check, as I’m not debating the numbers (most unlike me) ???

Cheers - yes the stats in your link include 15/16 loan season.

Clearly shows he has subbed during the first half 8 times whilst playing for us.

Most likely more than anyone else in our squad, but not 19!

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Cheers - yes the stats in your link include 15/16 loan season.

Clearly shows he has subbed during the first half 8 times whilst playing for us.

Most likely more than anyone else in our squad, but not 19!

Appears we were both wrong, no idea why I put 19 further up, it should have said 16 but none the less was 15 times

8 times during the first half and 7 times at half time

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

Appears we were both wrong, no idea why I put 19 further up, it should have said 16 but none the less was 15 times

8 times during the first half and 7 times at half time

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I was quoting sub's during the first half with the number 8.

If we're adding half-time, yes another 7, however half time substitutions are more likely to have been a tactical one - very hard to call whether Baker was taken off at half time for injury reasons or if LJ was making a tactical change....

EDIT - just realised I put in original post at half time too, so apologies, should have read during first half, which was original argument being made.

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I was quoting sub's during the first half with the number 8.

If we're adding half-time, yes another 7, however half time substitutions are more likely to have been a tactical one - very hard to call whether Baker was taken off at half time for injury reasons or if LJ was making a tactical change....

EDIT - just realised I put in original post at half time too, so apologies, should have read during first half, which was original argument being made.

I actually think we were agreeing, but I hate to say often my point gets lost in the way I write it on here

Archived