IGNORED

Nathan ‘sick note’ Baker

fishy

On 21/09/2019 at 19:26, Alessandro said:

FAKE NEWS:

In 88 appearances for City, he has been subbed during the first half or at half time:

Once this season.

3 times last season.

4 the season before, once for Steele after Frankie got sent off, so really 3 times.

TOTAL: 7 (8)

Yes he's had his fair share of injuries and suspensions, but your stat is plain incorrect.

See below post from phantom. Saying only  7 substitutions is fake news. Implying the half time substitutions were tactical is farcical. 

43 minutes ago, phantom said:

Appears we were both wrong, no idea why I put 19 further up, it should have said 16 but none the less was 15 times

8 times during the first half and 7 times at half time

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I’m glad you’ve posted this. I originally said 16 times in the first half, based on the fact that I read about a year ago that he’d gone of 14 times in first half and since then he’d gone off twice more  (I included not coming back for the second half as meaning he went off at half time. I’ve tried to find the article that detailed his injury based substitutions but, as yet, I’ve been unsuccessful. It was a Bristol Post article so it’s out there somewhere 

36 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

See below post from phantom. Saying only  7 substitutions is fake news. Implying the half time substitutions were tactical is farcical. 

I’m glad you’ve posted this. I originally said 16 times in the first half, based on the fact that I read about a year ago that he’d gone of 14 times in first half and since then he’d gone off twice more  (I included not coming back for the second half as meaning he went off at half time. I’ve tried to find the article that detailed his injury based substitutions but, as yet, I’ve been unsuccessful. It was a Bristol Post article so it’s out there somewhere 

I would think somewhere between 0-2 inclusive we’re tactical imho

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would think somewhere between 0-2 inclusive we’re tactical imho

I’m happy to settle for that. Whatever to true figure is, there must be a fundamental problem with Baker that results in the number of times he fails to last 90 minutes. There’s no real pattern to his injuries so he may be unlucky inasmuch as he’s just someone who has a body too weak for professional sport, or it may be physiological. Some players can play on with an injury and other can’t 

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

What you originally said was he has been substituted 16 times in the first half - that is still incorrect - the number is 8.

I muddied the water by adding "and during half time" - which makes the answer now 14 or 15. I've put my hands up on that part, but the number 8 still stands as factual for during the first half.

I didn't say all the half time substitutions were tactical, but some may well have been if you look back at specific games, case in point when he came off for Steele when Frankie was sent off.

Still I think we all agree that it is more than anyone else in our squad and a high number.  

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wouldn't be surprised if every single sub was due to injury. 

I wonder if Baker earns himself a new contract. Think it is up end of next season. Really would not mind selling in the summer. Bring in a centre back more like Webster.

Yep runs out in Summer 2021.  Lot of time between now and then.  He’s played well this season and been an integral part.  I’m being a bit facetious when I say Baker has started 7 leagues games this season, all undefeated.  The 2 games he didn’t start....Leeds (League), QPR (Cup).

Think we have to judge whether this a minor knock, back quickly and a one-off....or whether it becomes commonplace.  If we get 7 out of him, miss 1 or 2, then another 7, miss 1 or 2, etc, etc, I think that is acceptable.  But that’s my view.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep runs out in Summer 2021.  Lot of time between now and then.  He’s played well this season and been an integral part.  I’m being a bit facetious when I say Baker has started 7 leagues games this season, all undefeated.  The 2 games he didn’t start....Leeds (League), QPR (Cup).

Think we have to judge whether this a minor knock, back quickly and a one-off....or whether it becomes commonplace.  If we get 7 out of him, miss 1 or 2, then another 7, miss 1 or 2, etc, etc, I think that is acceptable.  But that’s my view.

I agree completely.  I think it's testament to Bakes that we've lost Kalas, but we've not felt the loss as badly as we were expecting.  He has been outstanding this season.  Shades of the Baker we thought we were signing.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

What you originally said was he has been substituted 16 times in the first half - that is still incorrect - the number is 8.

I said it was approx 16 times that Baker had come off in the first half. If he goes off at half time and doesn’t come back that counts as going off in the first half for me. 

4 minutes ago, scrumpy88 said:

My player of the season. 

The quiet unsung hero. Always puts his body on the line. Probably a little underrated due to his injuries. 

Difficult agree with the POTS shout given the number of games he has played but has been consistently good when on the pitch. Will be interesting to see who makes way for Benkovic as my personal feeling is that Williams remains in the team for his experience until such time as Kalas returns.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he's been far better in the last 4 or so games. Even today he got caught a couple of times and then seemed to go into warrior mode last 30 mins. He was then outstanding like Reading game. 

Really hope he keeps this up. Nice problem for LJ.

For me though best defender overall this season has been Williams. Been solid in most games and played much more. He has been fantastic since Brentford imo.

True i think kalas is a great player for us but interesting to note williams and Baker have been the pairing in our four clean sheets.

In a backs against the wall scenario he's the best we've got.  In fact, I'd back him more in a relentless "head it, kick it" period of play when we were really up against it for an extended period (such as today..) rather than an easier game where he's less called upon to be constantly engaged as a defender.  I think he has limitations for sure but I still really like Baker and personally speaking I hope he's not a victim of the recent signing as I think we're a stronger defensive unit with him than without, especially in tough games. 

25 minutes ago, Lez said:

Top player but clearly has some mental challenges with injuries....whether its him thinking he is sick or injured but against certain teams really useful.

Don’t agree with this - the paranoia about Baker and injuries is laughable on here - just been going through the matchday thread today and someone (think it may have been @Super) posted ‘Baker injured?’ - instantly @gordie jumps in with ‘What a surprise!’ - yet if he or she had been at Loftus Road they’d have seen Baker win an immense header, land awkwardly and just go off momentarily to recover from being winded. Was that alright with you @gordie ??!

The lazy ‘oh Baker’s injured again’ brigade are just lazy, misguided and ill-informed - @Up The City! even questioned Baker’s mental health on here recently regarding his perceived injuries!!! That was just pathetic yet predictable from her.

Nathan is a top defender at this level, he puts his body on the line and he gives everything. He is a better defender than Aden Flint and he’s the best centre half we have right now in my opinion .... just wish more of our fans could recognise his contribution ...

I saw somewhere that before today our points per game in games when baker has started is the same as West Brom’s points per game over the season. The games where he hasn’t started the points per game is considerably less. Unfortunately I can’t find the details right now

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don’t agree with this - the paranoia about Baker and injuries is laughable on here - just been going through the matchday thread today and someone (think it may have been @Super) posted ‘Baker injured?’ - instantly @gordie jumps in with ‘What a surprise!’ - yet if he or she had been at Loftus Road they’d have seen Baker win an immense header, land awkwardly and just go off momentarily to recover from being winded - the lazy ‘oh Baker’s injured again’ brigade are just lazy, misguided and ill-informed - @Up The City! even questioned Baker’s mental health on here recently regarding his perceived injuries!!! 

Nathan is a top defender at this level, he puts his body on the line and he gives everything. He is a better defender than Aden Flint and he’s the best centre half we have right now in my opinion .... just wish more of our fans could recognise his contribution ...

Hes a top defender against a certain type of team.....if you're playing against a hugill jutkievitcz Smith etc then yes.

Against teams will quick pacey strikes he gets found out which is ultimately why he is a good championship defender at this level.

Baker has been very good.

Regarding injuries - I am certain he is a player who is 100% aware of his body, and when he goes off, it's not because he is 'weak' or 'mentally soft'  but knows that a minor tweak could lead to a 4 week strain if he doesn't ice himself up.

So he goes off to stop a minor problem becoming a month long issue.

Some players are much better than others at knowing when to rest a niggle, or play on and risk a far worst injury.

Bailey Wright being a perfect example.

Didnt get to game today so skim reading the forum for comments (as always, only of people who attended). Love this positive thread on Baker and also love LJ to have problems like this - its what all fans should want.Some on here haven't been that positive about other players, eg Our Man from Knowle so hopefully they shut up for the rest of the season and only contribute supportive messages about the team we...... 

Support. 

We are a more formidable defensive unit with Baker playing. I would love to go back over some of the threads on here regarding the bloke over the last 18 months. Baker has injury problems and is the first one to say I’m injured, but Baker and Williams are/will keep out Kalas et al. 

The bloke has been immense and so has Williams!!

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don’t agree with this - the paranoia about Baker and injuries is laughable on here - just been going through the matchday thread today and someone (think it may have been @Super) posted ‘Baker injured?’ - instantly @gordie jumps in with ‘What a surprise!’ - yet if he or she had been at Loftus Road they’d have seen Baker win an immense header, land awkwardly and just go off momentarily to recover from being winded. Was that alright with you @gordie ??!

The lazy ‘oh Baker’s injured again’ brigade are just lazy, misguided and ill-informed - @Up The City! even questioned Baker’s mental health on here recently regarding his perceived injuries!!! That was just pathetic yet predictable from her.

Don’t have any problem with what you say there, personally think he is an immense player for us but can get annoying when he goes off injured so often. 

12 minutes ago, gordie said:

Don’t have any problem with what you say there, personally think he is an immense player for us but can get annoying when he goes off injured so often. 

Cheers for the reply - Baker puts himself on the line time and time again, so niggles are inevitable - I just take issue with some people on here who have accused him of ‘pretending’ to be injured or not being ‘brave’ or even saying he has ‘mental issues’ - Baker is our best defender and he’s having a great season.

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

the paranoia about Baker and injuries is laughable on here 

The lazy ‘oh Baker’s injured again’ brigade are just lazy, misguided and ill-informed

It's not 'paranoia' unless you are saying LJ shares it - he has expressed his disappointment and puzzlement over NB's injuries more than once.

Most recently his comments in the EP after the Shrewsbury defeat where Baker came off before half time:

Meanwhile, the news on the injury front is not good either, with Nathan Baker possibly out for another period of time, after coming off in the first half of Tuesday night's replay.

"Not good. He's hurt his groin. Again it's another injury from Bakes and it's disappointing how many times he's been injured over my tenure here.

"And it's something we've got to look a bit deeper at," said Johnson.

Baker was then declared fit to face Barnsley 4 days later.

These apparently quite serious injuries leading to substitutions with Baker being then being fit for the next match have occurred numerous times and if the City coach can declare his concern and frustration I'd say it's very reasonable fans can too without being accused of paranoia.

Archived