Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Nathan ‘sick note’ Baker

Baker was absolutely superb today, everything you want in a centre back, he seemed to be crashing into everything when we were getting peppered towards the end! How many of us on here have followed city away over the decades, and seen us crumble under pressure, not today. I thought he ran Fam close for MOM! COYR! 

Didnt get to game today so skim reading the forum for comments (as always, only of people who attended). Love this positive thread on Baker and also love LJ to have problems like this - its what all fans should want.Some on here haven't been that positive about other players, eg Our Man from Knowle so hopefully they shut up for the rest of the season and only contribute supportive messages about the team we...... 

Support. 

We are a more formidable defensive unit with Baker playing. I would love to go back over some of the threads on here regarding the bloke over the last 18 months. Baker has injury problems and is the first one to say I’m injured, but Baker and Williams are/will keep out Kalas et al. 

The bloke has been immense and so has Williams!!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don’t agree with this - the paranoia about Baker and injuries is laughable on here - just been going through the matchday thread today and someone (think it may have been @Super) posted ‘Baker injured?’ - instantly @gordie jumps in with ‘What a surprise!’ - yet if he or she had been at Loftus Road they’d have seen Baker win an immense header, land awkwardly and just go off momentarily to recover from being winded. Was that alright with you @gordie ??!

The lazy ‘oh Baker’s injured again’ brigade are just lazy, misguided and ill-informed - @Up The City! even questioned Baker’s mental health on here recently regarding his perceived injuries!!! That was just pathetic yet predictable from her.

Nathan is a top defender at this level, he puts his body on the line and he gives everything. He is a better defender than Aden Flint and he’s the best centre half we have right now in my opinion .... just wish more of our fans could recognise his contribution ...

Don’t have any problem with what you say there, personally think he is an immense player for us but can get annoying when he goes off injured so often. 

12 minutes ago, gordie said:

Don’t have any problem with what you say there, personally think he is an immense player for us but can get annoying when he goes off injured so often. 

Cheers for the reply - Baker puts himself on the line time and time again, so niggles are inevitable - I just take issue with some people on here who have accused him of ‘pretending’ to be injured or not being ‘brave’ or even saying he has ‘mental issues’ - Baker is our best defender and he’s having a great season.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

His back heel today was signally the finest piece of defensive work we've seen all season.

Better than Fams goal line header in the same game?

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

the paranoia about Baker and injuries is laughable on here 

The lazy ‘oh Baker’s injured again’ brigade are just lazy, misguided and ill-informed

It's not 'paranoia' unless you are saying LJ shares it - he has expressed his disappointment and puzzlement over NB's injuries more than once.

Most recently his comments in the EP after the Shrewsbury defeat where Baker came off before half time:

Meanwhile, the news on the injury front is not good either, with Nathan Baker possibly out for another period of time, after coming off in the first half of Tuesday night's replay.

"Not good. He's hurt his groin. Again it's another injury from Bakes and it's disappointing how many times he's been injured over my tenure here.

"And it's something we've got to look a bit deeper at," said Johnson.

Baker was then declared fit to face Barnsley 4 days later.

These apparently quite serious injuries leading to substitutions with Baker being then being fit for the next match have occurred numerous times and if the City coach can declare his concern and frustration I'd say it's very reasonable fans can too without being accused of paranoia.

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Better than Fams goal line header in the same game?

He was having to run at speed directly into the goal and with the cross at pace and slightly in front of him he had the skill and presence to overstep the ball and flick it backwards all without breaking stride. Superb defending as odds on could have been an OG.

• Like 1

What’s the matter with the guy? Is he made of glass ffs.........:disapointed2se:

Im struggling to remember when he last played a full 90 mins

I did hear from a reliable source that Baker had the same injury issues at Villa and they felt that his injuries were in his head and they wanted him to see a psychologist but he refused...................:cool2:.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What’s the matter with the guy? Is he made of glass ffs.........:disapointed2se:

I did hear from a reliable source that Baker had the same injury issues at Villa and they felt that his injuries were in his head and they wanted him to see a psychologist but he refused...................:cool2:.

I have the misfortune to work with a Villa supporter - who said exactly that when they sold him to us. He does get injured more than most but he also seems more than willing to put a shift in, maybe some of it is just in his head?

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Don't understand why you got an Aubergine from a well known poster, spot on he IS a liability as far as reliability goes just can't trust him to finish a game these days.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Concussion precaution so hardly 'sick note' as it will have been taken out of his hands

It happens too frequently to count on him being available for ninety minutes or any run of games.

He is either fragile or he needs to adapt his game. 

It’s no use being good if you aren’t available. Once again he reduced LJ’s capacity to change the game with desired substitutions instead of forced ones . 

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

Concussion precaution so hardly 'sick note' as it will have been taken out of his hands

But you were quick to jump on the ‘have a go at sicknote Baker’ bandwagon on the match day thread - perhaps you and the others should have waited to find out the reason why he went off before having at a go at the bloke yet again. Then your first post might have been the rational, sensible one like the one you’ve now posted above - rather than suggesting he’d been ‘shot by a sniper’ again ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It happens too frequently to count on him being available for ninety minutes or any run of games.

He is either fragile or he needs to adapt his game. 

It’s no use being good if you aren’t available. Once again he reduced LJ’s capacity to change the game with desired substitutions instead of forced ones . 

Would there be the same criticism if it were any other player? You can't put any blame on Baker for head injuries as said it would have been medical team making the decision to bring him off rather than him

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, pillred said:

Don't understand why you got an Aubergine from a well known poster, spot on he IS a liability as far as reliability goes just can't trust him to finish a game these days.

No big deal pillred - I don’t take the slightest notice.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Would there be the same criticism if it were any other player? You can't put any blame on Baker for head injuries as said it would have been medical team making the decision to bring him off rather than him

It’s not ‘any other ‘ player though is it ? 
Once again, Nathan has to come off .

I can’t blame him for head injuries but perhaps he needs to change his game a bit to avoid them .

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I can’t blame him for head injuries but perhaps he needs to change his game a bit to avoid them .

Given we didn't seem to see when it occurred then its hard to say he needs to change his game. The only instance I saw where it looked likely was sliding in for a 5050, winning it and the Fulham player going over him

15 minutes ago, hodge said:

I’m not necessarily talking about today but his injury issues per se. 

Puts himself about and commits to big challenges and 50/50's more than anyone in our squad.

Yes he gets injured a lot, but i'm sure many of those are because of him putting his body on the line.

I have said though, because of this, I think building a consistent back-line around him is, pretty impossible. 

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How about bowls?

Baker has played very well this season even the stats say we get more points when he plays...However he is prone to being subbed for injury no doubt!

Still gave Benko a chance to play and prove that he is at least as good as Taylor Moore.