IGNORED

Nathan ‘sick note’ Baker

fishy

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Baker was holding his back for some reason yesterday. Was surprised when it was apparently head injury.

I remember one game he came off and he held his thigh, then it appeared it was his back, and then his head. He could not seem to make his mind up what the injury was! 

LJ has hinted a few times about Baker's head not being right. Even when praising him after the good first game he had this season LJ said 'Bakes is back!' and talked as if the old Baker (probably of early 17/18) had been missing for a while.

He has generally been better this season.

But i've said all season i would look to sell in the summer. I currently prefer Kalas and Benkovic as a pair and Williams has been our best centre back overall this season. Moore returning too. 

Sell Baker if we can get any interest and if we can bring in a couple of ball playing centre backs with Williams likely leaving.

Hang on, you prefer Benkovic who has had to be dropped as after 1 decent game against Derby has been complete shit until yesterday when he was alright against an out of sorts Mitrovic, over a defender who as our results and performances show we are far better with him in the side? 

**** ball playing centre half's we need 4 defenders that can actually bloody defend (as we currently have Baker and Pirera, and that's it.) Kalas has looked like a massive 8 million pound mistake, (hopefully he will get back to his best but he has been nowhere near all season) 

There are only 7/8 teams worse than us at the back and Baker along with Bentley are the only 2 that can come out of the season so far in any sort of credit. 

I've said for months that a lot of Baker problems are psychological.

One that did it for me was on the Facebook page him arriving for a game arms around bently and William's......however earlier in the hour it said Baker was unavailable due to illness. If he was unwell he wouldn't have been cuddling up to other players etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if he has Health anxiety re football  or something along those lines....send him to a psychologist if what other people are saying is true.

Also can I add while he puts his body on the line in games he doesnt strike me as a leader of men.....introverted type....been here a long time now....know very little about him.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Benkovic looks class. Very good yesterday. Upgrade on Baker imo.

I'd like to loan him in next season too. I don't think he will be prem quality by next season. Maybe needs a whole season of championship football.

The results with Baker in is more to it than simply Baker being in the side. Afobe in the early games was the main reason.

Spot on. Agree completely. 

You thought he looked class when Jutekivic eased him aside like a 12 year old when he cost us a goal against Brum? You thought he looked class against a bang average Hal Robson-Kanu who made him look like a league 1 centre back? Benkovic has only ever looked class for Celtic and that's in a league with all the quality of of league 1 maybe. The reason he was on the bench yesterday is because he's been crap, hardly the sign of a class player. 

Baker has played more minutes this season than all of our other defenders bar Williams, and all but 4/5 of our players, makes the idea that he is injury prone look rather weak doesn't it? 

All those out there having a go at Baker for being a 'sicknote' what would you prefer:

He struggle on playing when not in a position to contribute thus becoming a defensive liability?

He disguise the fact he's unsuitable for selection but carries on regardless, thus becoming a total liability?

Contrast your reactions to the wholesale liability Weimann who cost us dearly at Leeds but who was excused (but not in my book):

'He gave it a go...'

'Dont criticise because he was I'll....'

40 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'd like to loan him in next season too. I don't think he will be prem quality by next season. Maybe needs a whole season of championship football.

The results with Baker in is more to it than simply Baker being in the side. Afobe in the early games was the main reason.

Maybe, but let’s see more of him first.  He’s had some good moments and bad moments so far, so I assume your “class” comments only takes accounts of the good things he’s done?

I’m not sure where we afford these couple of ball-playing CBs you reference in the previous post.  And where does that leave Moore.

I’d rather be extending Baker than offering Williams another year (as good as he’s been). 

33 minutes ago, hodge said:

'Sick note' .... lower of the 2 videos

Yes, this challenge is underneath where we sit and we all winced.  At the time I thought Kamara had “done him”, but it was just two committed players.

7 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

All those out there having a go at Baker for being a 'sicknote' what would you prefer:

He struggle on playing when not in a position to contribute thus becoming a defensive liability?

He disguise the fact he's unsuitable for selection but carries on regardless, thus becoming a total liability?

Contrast your reactions to the wholesale liability Weimann who cost us dearly at Leeds but who was excused (but not in my book):

'He gave it a go...'

'Dont criticise because he was I'll....'

I agree in part.  With all these things, we never know how much pressure the manager exerts in making players play or not.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

In the interest of balance, there is some truth in what @Robbored has said, regarding his injury issues in general. 

I think it is 20 times he has gone off in the first half of games according to the Post;

Games left early this season in the first half:

• Swansea - 30 mins
  • Shrewsbury - 39 mins
  • Fulham - 23 mins

That adds to 14 times between 2015-2018, and a further three times last season (Derby home and away, Brentford).

LJ;

"Yes, it is frustrating because I think it’s a form of concussion," said Johnson of the injury after the game.

"I’m not sure whether the form of concussion is too strong but it’s definitely something that Bakes and I have discussed over the time that I’ve had him and it seems to keep happening now.

"It’s a catch-22 because he’s a really brave player in the way that he throws himself at things and throws himself at the ball but you don’t want a centre half coming off as consistently as he has and obviously it restricts your tactical future in the game because you lose a sub and often you want to use the subs for attacking prowess.

20 hours ago, pillred said:

Don't understand why you got an Aubergine from a well known poster, spot on he IS a liability as far as reliability goes just can't trust him to finish a game these days.

I really like aubergines - cut them into slices and grill them on the George Foreman with some chopped courgettes and eat with grilled chicken breast with a splashing of soy Source for a really simple, tasty but healthy meal!! 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Class? First 10 or 15 minutes totally devoid of confidence, indecisive when under pressure but did get better despite leaving Dasilva exposed

29 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think it is 20 times he has gone off in the first half of games according to the Post;

Games left early this season in the first half:

• Swansea - 30 mins
  • Shrewsbury - 39 mins
  • Fulham - 23 mins

That adds to 14 times between 2015-2018, and a further three times last season (Derby home and away, Brentford).

LJ;

"Yes, it is frustrating because I think it’s a form of concussion," said Johnson of the injury after the game.

"I’m not sure whether the form of concussion is too strong but it’s definitely something that Bakes and I have discussed over the time that I’ve had him and it seems to keep happening now.

"It’s a catch-22 because he’s a really brave player in the way that he throws himself at things and throws himself at the ball but you don’t want a centre half coming off as consistently as he has and obviously it restricts your tactical future in the game because you lose a sub and often you want to use the subs for attacking prowess.

That pretty much confirms my ‘sick note’ thread............:cool2:

43 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think as far as attributes go he is a level above Baker and just needs games. 

For example the sprint back to tackle Robson Kanu which showed his pace.

He looks pretty dominant to me in the air. Very good on the ball. Certainly more a Webster type that we need imo.

I think LJ may go to 352 next season. Eliasson and Diedhiou probably sold which allows this system change.

That would suit Kalas in the middle with ball players either side. Moore and Benkovic being those 2 I'd be very happy with.

Another player i would like is Trevoh Chalobah on loan. 6 foot 3. Is naturally a centre back. Also an option in midfield if needed.

Maybe we keep Vyner too as an emergency option who can also cover other positions if needed.

We can then see us pass the ball out much better with better technical defenders. And we possibly pass it better up the pitch too with more movement with Wells and hopefully Afobe, potentially being a real top championship striker combination.

I really like 352, but I hope he doesn’t.  You’re in a rock and a hard place if you recruit to 352 and it doesn’t work out....which is kinda the position we’ve got in currently, but t’other way around.

The way I see it, and not necessarily right, is that, get your back 4 sorted, and work on having variance in your front 6.

Back to Benkovic, he’s undoubtedly a talent, but let’s see if he forces his way into our line-up for the rest of the season.  The ceiling is there, Leicester don’t spend £13m for the sake of it.  If he does indeed do well, no probs with another loan ext season (as long as he doesn’t do an Adam Matthews!).  Would be happy for our CBs next season to be Kalas, Moore, Baker and Benkovic (or Chalobah - good shout, like him a lot, I would prefer him of the two, but that’s because I haven’t seen enough of Benkovic...yet).  Think Kalas showed yesterday he’s pretty competent on the ball (outshone by Webster last season).

Williams, as good as he’s been, I don’t see him staying this season.  I’ve heard really good things about influence on youngsters on training ground....but I just don’t see him in a LJ-coaching set up.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I am not sure he is injury prone. More a case of him not wanting to carry on when he's in any kind of pain. As far as injuries go I don't know if he's even had any bad injuries in his time with us. He usually seems fine for the next game after walking off.

Baker has made mistakes too. That Huddersfield game for example. Or the Millwall game where he strangely ran out the way for Wallace to score.

All our central defenders are guilty of individual errors this season.

I think WBA game was more a problem in midfield. And Robson Kanu really is not bang average. Very good championship striker.

I like what I see so far in Benkovic. I'd keep that central pair that finished the game yesterday. Thought they did very well together.

The Huddersfield game where despite mistakes Baker was still better than Benkovic? Won more in the air, more tackles, Only way Benkovic outperformed Baker is in pass completion. Until we can defend I couldn't give a monkies about ball playing centre backs. 

You can't just cherry pick and decide Benkovic is an upgrade because he's done some things you like while ignoring that since he's been here he has overall not been better than Baker, who is by most accounts one of the better performing Centre Backs in the league. 

Does this mean that Benkovic is bad and might prove to be an upgrade on Baker? Of course not, we have not seen enough yet and there have been some good points but they have not even come close to outweighing the bad points so far. 

And if he does turn out to be an upgrade on Baker then that means he's an upgrade on Kalas, Williams and Moore as well as Bakes has been the best of all of them, only Williams can compare favourably on performances potentially. 

So Robson Kanu is very good at this level but you will happily bin off a striker who has outperformed him in every single way in Fam? 

20 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I said leading up to game I'd have Benkovic ahead of Baker anyway.

I'm not sure how many times he goes off injured. Often in first half or half time. Has to be about1 in 6 games maybe?

I think right now Baker has been our best defender, but that said big Benko did a very good job when he came on.

Stuck to Mitrovic like glue.  A Croat man-marking a Serb.  Bet they were delighted...

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think right now Baker has been our best defender, but that said big Benko did a very good job when he came on.

Stuck to Mitrovic like glue.  A Croat man-marking a Serb.  Bet they were delighted...

Was like a game of chess and alongside him he had a Czech mate.

58 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That pretty much confirms my ‘sick note’ thread............:cool2:

You’d think someone with your working background would be more sensitive to calling someone out who has a potential psychological / mental health issue though hey?

34 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

You’d think someone with your working background would be more sensitive to calling someone out who has a potential psychological / mental health issue though hey?

Don’t assume that I’m not sensitive to mental health issues Marcus. 

However.....with Baker it’s a well established issues that Villa and City have tried to address but, certainly at Villa he refused to see a psychologist. Now we don’t know if City suggested the same and Baker has declined once more.

Nonetheless Baker going off early on a fairly regular basis is a concern as LJ rightly points out.

It needs addressing and Baker needs to comply.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

However.....with Baker it’s a well established issues that Villa and City have tried to address but, certainly at Villa he refused to see a psychologist. Now we don’t know if City suggested the same and Baker has declined once more.

Nonetheless Baker going off early on a fairly regular basis is a concern as LJ rightly points out.

Well established?  Villa tried to address?  Certainly?  Do you have a source / web-page links?

Then you go on and suggest that the same might have happened with LJ.  Sounds like you know more than you’re letting on?  Or did you hear the same rumour someone started that I heard?

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’d like to see you say that to Baker.....

But you jellied in front of a 5’8 Gary Johnson so I guess you wouldn’t fancy it

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well established?  Villa tried to address?  Certainly?  Do you have a source / web-page links?

Then you go on and suggest that the same might have happened with LJ.  Sounds like you know more than you’re letting on?  Or did you hear the same rumour someone started that I heard?

Not rumour Dave but the kind of issue that Baker has in not something any club would want in the public domain so there are no links that I’m aware of.

17 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

the bloke is a liability in the sense of you don't know if he's going to do 90 minutes.

Take that quote out of this thread and you've described just about every single player at the club........

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I have the necessary skills Bob and in the right environment I would say that to him. 

But your skills don’t include confidentiality about a an alleged personal (Medical / psychological) issue that you claim , but have have no proof of , and the sort of rumour that is potentially career damaging for a player ?

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You really do talk complete and utter $hite don’t you (it’s rhetorical btw - you don’t need to reply). 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

But your skills don’t include confidentiality about a an alleged personal (Medical / psychological) issue that you claim , but have have no proof of , and the sort of rumour that is potentially career damaging for a player ?

In the football world it’s fairly common knowledge regarding Bakers issues but it’s not the kind knowledge that any club wants in the public domain.

Archived