IGNORED

Cairney

Super

Best player on the pitch by some distance today & deserved his reward. Exactly the type of aggressive attacking midfielder that we don’t currently have & badly need.

Hopefully Walsh can comeback next season & be this type of player..!

22 minutes ago, Super said:

What a class player but why did we give him so much time on the ball? As soon as he got it one of the midfielders had to close him down. Well earned point in the end.

Because good players with exquisite touch in a system designed to get him on the ball are tough to mark. ?

They move the ball really well creating space for others.

14 hours ago, Super said:

He ran the game but still think we could have closed him down quicker.

He's certainly a talent but poor game management once again. Why oh why do we sit so deep and allow time and space game after game and invite pressure which more often than not you'll get punished. We lost possession in a key area when it should of been put straight up the channel and take the pressure off BASICS and something we don't seem to learn and the difference between 1pt or 3pts. Still decent performance and 1.1 was a fair outcome. NO KP ONCE AGAIN FUNNY THAT!!!! 

23 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

He's certainly a talent but poor game management once again. Why oh why do we sit so deep and allow time and space game after game and invite pressure which more often than not you'll get punished. We lost possession in a key area when it should of been put straight up the channel and take the pressure off BASICS and something we don't seem to learn and the difference between 1pt or 3pts. Still decent performance and 1.1 was a fair outcome. NO KP ONCE AGAIN FUNNY THAT!!!! 

I would have liked KP  come on for Massengo. Although as LJ singled Massengo out for praise(I thought he was a bit lightweight at times) unlikely to have been subbed.

18 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I would have liked KP  come on for Massengo. Although as LJ singled Massengo out for praise(I thought he was a bit lightweight at times) unlikely to have been subbed.

I'd have liked to see KP, but not for Massengo. Thought HNM and Korey did a good job in front of the back four. For me HNM is (or has the potential of) a Pack/Skuse type player and a lot of what they do goes unrecognised, and only missed when they've gone. Take off him or Korey and they'd have started running through us at will.

KP for Paterson, O'Dowda or Weimann for me.

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I'd have liked to see KP, but not for Massengo. Thought HNM and Korey did a good job in front of the back four. For me HNM is (or has the potential of) a Pack/Skuse type player and a lot of what they do goes unrecognised, and only missed when they've gone. Take off him or Korey and they'd have started running through us at will.

I agree re Massengo.  I thought he was pretty decent yesterday.  Yep, he lost the ball a few times facing his own goal, but two of those I thought he was fouled.  He passed it with good tempo, and recovers a lot of ball for us due to positioning and anticipation.  I enjoyed watching him yesterday.  He wasn’t our best player, but against a 3-man midfield I thought him and Smith were very important.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Yep.

But with Baker going off again we were a sub down which limits the options later in the game.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree re Massengo.  I thought he was pretty decent yesterday.  Yep, he lost the ball a few times facing his own goal, but two of those I thought he was fouled.  He passed it with good tempo, and recovers a lot of ball for us due to positioning and anticipation.  I enjoyed watching him yesterday.  He wasn’t our best player, but against a 3-man midfield I thought him and Smith were very important.

I hate to use the Johnsonian cliche, but he was a "busy bee": pouncing on loose balls and generally trying to break up their mf play.

In the West Brom game our players had seemed happy to let the ball be claimed every time by their opponents. It was like 'if the ball hasn't been delivered to my feet, I can't be arsed'.

Cairney was brilliant. But he's had ineffective games against us too when we've set up better.

I felt yesterday we didn't have enough of a midfield. Korey excellent. Massengo struggled. At 1-0 up and against the run of play we desperately needed a midfielder to come on. But we didn't have any!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The loud criticism of Massengo from some is both embarrassing and IMHO inaccurate

Firstly some of our fan base chose the 18 year old as our whipping boy yesterday , for any flaws or weaknesses we have , blame the 18 year old player - wow

Secondly , like you Dave I thought he was decent and better than Korey on the day (Both worked hard and ‘ratted’) 

They had their work cut out against Cairney and Arter (Who though despicable was excellent yesterday - as well as I’ve seen him for Fulham) 

Massengo has quick feet and is one of few that creates angles for teamates - (in a better technical side, with similar around him  I’d predict he’d rarely lose the ball )

I lost count the number of times yesterday he had to hold onto the ball due to lack of options or movement from those around him

Given the chance Massengo passes first time or at worse two touch

At one point one of the centre backs passed the ball into his feet with Massengo facing his own goal and a Fulham player right up his backside , and with no easy first time option for Massengo

Massengo gets challenged and they win the loose ball , and a fair section of fans openly moaned at Massengo ! 

No one mentions Kalas charging out with the ball in first half and getting robbed leaving us wide open , Cairney bursting towards the penalty area with the ball - Massengo reacts the quickest and harries and nibbles at Cairney step by step , stopping Cairney picking his spot and eventually getting us the ball back - No ones mentioned that , or several other times he recognised danger and put out a fire

Hes far from a finished or fully developed answer but he’s EIGHTEEN ffs

Plenty of people to question before Massengo 

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The loud criticism of Massengo from some is both embarrassing and IMHO inaccurate

Firstly some of our fan base chose the 18 year old as our whipping boy yesterday , for any flaws or weaknesses we have , blame the 18 year old player - wow

Secondly , like you Dave I thought he was decent and better than Korey on the day (Both worked hard and ‘ratted’) 

They had their work cut out against Cairney and Arter (Who though despicable was excellent yesterday - as well as I’ve seen him for Fulham) 

Massengo has quick feet and is one of few that creates angles for teamates - (in a better technical side, with similar around him  I’d predict he’d rarely lose the ball )

I lost count the number of times yesterday he had to hold onto the ball due to lack of options or movement from those around him

At one point one of the centre backs passed the ball into his feet with Massengo facing his own goal and a Fulham player right up his backside , and with no easy first time option for Massengo

Massengo gets challenged and they win the loose ball , and a fair section of fans openly moaned at Massengo ! 

No one mentions Kalas charging out with the ball in first half and getting robbed leaving us wide open , Cairney bursting towards the penalty area with the ball - Massengo reacts the quickest and harries and nibbles at Cairney step by step , stopping Cairney picking his spot and eventually getting us the ball back - No ones mentioned that , or several other times he recognised danger and put out a fire

Great post....shows you so understand the pro-game. ??????

Cairney was easily man of the match by a mile with Maenpaa and Pereira our best.

I would hope that Markus Henriksen would be a similar type of player.

He creates so much space and is always passing and moving. Rooney did it recently with consumate ease as well. Those two plus Kalvin Philips and you could have Ian Baird up front and we'd still walk the league.

The last time I remember seeing a midfield player remotely like that was Nick Carle. He looked like he had so much time on the ball. Brilliant to watch.

As for closing him down, you would need an equally good defensive midfielder for that. Good players always find space and he is exactly that.

It's easy to forget that they spent £100M on players last season yet we've taken 4 points off them. Kind of puts things into perspective. 

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Could not agree more Bob. 

18, he's played two full games against one of the top midfields in the Championship, and not looked out of place at all. 

The experience he's had this year, and a fully fit Nagy in a three midfield next season, and I still think we've got someone special. 

12 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Slightly lightweight but runs twice as much as anyone else.

On 07/03/2020 at 16:47, Super said:

What a class player but why did we give him so much time on the ball? As soon as he got it one of the midfielders had to close him down. Well earned point in the end.

Interesting that Johnson had Massengo man mark him out of the game at Craven Cottage, I did expect the same at Ashton Gate!

I’ve long admired Tom Cairney but he has a serious flaw in his game  - he often holds on to the ball too long, which holds up Fulham’s attacking flow and allows defenders time to recover. Happened a number of times on Saturday and let us off the hook. 

Might sound like a strange criticism but I know top managers think the same.

Archived