IGNORED

Player Ratings - Fulham (h) 1-1

Davefevs

For me Smith could have been better, too slow to react to threats, perhaps due to lack of communication, better awareness a much better player!

Team, a performance that shows we are better than we have shown of late - over to LJ, wake up and reward the performance of your better players!

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

The Wells Weimann partnership thing is interesting. We miss the hold up play, physicality and defending Fam does, but when we play without him it almost forces us to play through midfield much more, and we look a more attractive and possibly better team.

Have a read of this:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/weimann-diedhiou-dilemma-bristol-citys-3923302

2 hours ago, SuperRed said:

Think a large part of the problem with Benkovic is that he is playing on the left and has absolutely no left foot. 

interesting spot....in the Youtube Clips he always seems to be left side of centre.  But we saw that issue with Wright too.

The goalkeeper and defence generally played well. Maenpaa made a couple of great saves and Kalas was back to his best today, keeping Mitrovic pretty quiet. The full backs both did well against fast and physical wisemen. And I agree with comments about Benkovic. He doesn’t fill me with confidence.

As per usual our issues were in midfield. We were often playing 2 against 3 yet again. Korey was reasonable but nothing special, while Massengo got a bit of a footballing lesson from Cairney, who has 10 years more experience, plus the extra physicality we haven’t had in our midfield without Pack. Massengo got bullied off the ball in dangerous positions on a number of occasions and this isn’t the first time that has happened this season. Hoeever he did some good work both defensively and attempting to get the ball forward in midfield, and certainly kept trying all match.

O’Diwda had a much better second half and put n a lot of running, while Paterson had a decent first half but then ranker if steam. Overall though the lack of creativity in midfield remains the biggest problem. Pato does more defensively than Kasey Palmer, but KP can produce a chance from seemingly nothing. It’s a problem LJ seems unable to resolve.

Up front, Weimann ran a lot but should have done better with his break in the second half. With 3 players to his right and in space, he really needed to square it earlier. Wells didn’t get much service but like most good strikers took his chance well. And Fam came in and gave Fulham a physical challenge for the last 30 mins and was instrumental in our goal. Plys he is our first defender at corners!

Other issues noted are that we really struggle to play out from the goalkeeper against a high press. And we frequently can go in 3 passes from playing forward on the halfway line to playing it back to the goalie who is then forced to hack it long. In the second half, the centre backs were clearly playing longer balls into the wide channels on both sides with some success, rather than just aimlessly lumping it up the middle. Given the lack of a target man without Fam on the pitch that seemed much more sensible and likely to be more productive.

It was a decent draw and a fair result. However we need to get back to winning ways soon if we are to have any chance of making the playoffs. Personally I don’t see it happening given our recent form, but in this topsy turvy division who knows!

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Here we go, generally a positive performance so higher ratings than my usually stingy scores.  Full-marks only, 6 being a player earning his wages...although today I might give the odd half-mark, because I like to break my own rules.

Maenpaa - 8 - three excellent saves today, commanded the area, communicates well.  The save from Reid in first half was brilliant, strong hand and saw it late.  Couple of dodgy goal kicks reminded me of Frankie, but everything else cool and calm, which is what you want.  Not overdue a run, been concerned about Bentleys handling for a while. 

Pereira - 7 - one of his best games in a City shirt.  Did both aspects of the game today decently against a tough opponent.  Pretty calm defender too (apart from that bad foul).  Improving, good to see.        Showed great energy getting up and back, some great overlaps 

Dasilva - 7 - pretty steady today, got forward well and linked well with midfield and forwards. Thought JD and COD linked up well

Kalas - 8 - super performance from him today against arguably the best striker in the division.  Love it when I see a CB get up early for his headers.  Couple of vital blocks too, as well as some good passes 2nd half clipped in behind the full-back.  Looks sharp and back to near his best.  Good timing! IMO Baker and Kalas are our best CB's, Hope Baker is back next game.

Baker - 6 - subbed off with concussion following a heavy challenge on Kamara. I'd mark him up for the challenge on Camara alone.

Benkovic - 6 - pretty steady coming on for a Baker.  Bit casual on 1/2 occasions 2nd half, but attached the ball well. Not convinced about him at all

Paterson - 6 - in and out game today, looked a bit lost in certain periods of first half as Fulham passed around him.  Stuck to it, and made two big tackles in that period. One I'd disagree with. Thought he had a good game. Tricky and good on the ball, made some very good challenges . 7 maybe 7 1/2

Diedhiou - 6 - put himself about from long balls and also for his part in the goal before Pereira nodded it to Wells. While I like Fam, it could be a run on the bench if Wells and Wiemann continue to look a threat.

Massengo - 6.5 - lots of good things, facing forwards he used the ball well, got caught back to goal (although a couple of times he was obviously fouled).  That bit he will learn.  Thought he played some brave passes today, lobbing the ball over opponent.  Understandably run out of steam last 10...although two fantastic blocks on Cairney late on too. Showed  a lot of promise today and the only downside ws his lack of physicality on occasion .

Smith - 7.5 - really good today, looks like he’s back to full match sharpness.  Gonna be key to the rest of the season.

O’Dowda - 7.5 - after a quiet start he really grew into the game.  Saw him make some 50:50 challenges too!!  Good running with the ball and got us going second half.  So much better, and did his defensive duties too. The COD that should be turning up more often. Ran with purpose, used the ball better and just him taking and holding the ball gave us more control.

Weimann - 7 - such an improved performance.  Involved in a lot of our good stuff 1st half, finding pockets and linking with Wells.  And what a run in the second half.  Did a good job when switching to RW when Fam came on for Pato.  Annoying that he didn't release the ball earlier in that 4 on 1 break

Wells - 7.5 - much, much better too.  Gave Hector and Ream a tough afternoon, and took his goal well.  Can play both ways and we stretched them on several occasions.

Eliasson no score, but did his work.

Watched from usual LS seat.

Feel free to agree, disagree, whatever.  But add where you watched, e.g.which stand or tv or radio ?

Just Pato's score that is different by more than half a point, watching from the Lower Lansdown I thought we were better, and better across the pitch , everyone scoring decent marks meaning a decent team performance . I would have liked LJ to bring on a midfielder for Wells when he got cramp, could have done with an extra body in there, but while not great, much improved on recent form.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Here we go, generally a positive performance so higher ratings than my usually stingy scores.  Full-marks only, 6 being a player earning his wages...although today I might give the odd half-mark, because I like to break my own rules.

Maenpaa - 8 - three excellent saves today, commanded the area, communicates well.  The save from Reid in first half was brilliant, strong hand and saw it late.  Couple of dodgy goal kicks reminded me of Frankie, but everything else cool and calm, which is what you want.

Pereira - 7 - one of his best games in a City shirt.  Did both aspects of the game today decently against a tough opponent.  Pretty calm defender too (apart from that bad foul).  Improving, good to see.

Dasilva - 7 - pretty steady today, got forward well and linked well with midfield and forwards.

Kalas - 8 - super performance from him today against arguably the best striker in the division.  Love it when I see a CB get up early for his headers.  Couple of vital blocks too, as well as some good passes 2nd half clipped in behind the full-back.  Looks sharp and back to near his best.  Good timing!

Baker - 6 - subbed off with concussion following a heavy challenge on Kamara.

Benkovic - 6 - pretty steady coming on for a Baker.  Bit casual on 1/2 occasions 2nd half, but attached the ball well.

Paterson - 6 - in and out game today, looked a bit lost in certain periods of first half as Fulham passed around him.  Stuck to it, and made two big tackles in that period.

Diedhiou - 6 - put himself about from long balls and also for his part in the goal before Pereira nodded it to Wells.

Massengo - 6.5 - lots of good things, facing forwards he used the ball well, got caught back to goal (although a couple of times he was obviously fouled).  That bit he will learn.  Thought he played some brave passes today, lobbing the ball over opponent.  Understandably run out of steam last 10...although two fantastic blocks on Cairney late on too.

Smith - 7.5 - really good today, looks like he’s back to full match sharpness.  Gonna be key to the rest of the season.

O’Dowda - 7.5 - after a quiet start he really grew into the game.  Saw him make some 50:50 challenges too!!  Good running with the ball and got us going second half.  So much better, and did his defensive duties too.

Weimann - 7 - such an improved performance.  Involved in a lot of our good stuff 1st half, finding pockets and linking with Wells.  And what a run in the second half.  Did a good job when switching to RW when Fam came on for Pato.

Wells - 7.5 - much, much better too.  Gave Hector and Ream a tough afternoon, and took his goal well.  Can play both ways and we stretched them on several occasions.

Feel free to agree, disagree, whatever.  But add where you watched, e.g.which stand or tv or radio ?

Would give at least a 7 to Fammy. When he came it seemed like we stepped up another gear. The change was one of the best substitutions this season as it appeared Fulham could not adapt to the change of play 

Not a fan of COD but today he was ok, maybe he can show us more endproduct this season, If he does that, we will benefit a lot. Our midfield is our weakness, Nagy was missed, If he had played think we could have won. Wonderboy is still learning and today he showed that he is not there yet. Massengo-Smith-Pato-COD no one of these can run the show in the middle. Nagy and Famara was missing today, with them on the pitch from start and Niclas coming on earlier it have been different. Baker went off early that was not good, thinking of the subs. We are going in to the right direction, Millwall ok and Fulham a little better. Nine to go and we still got the chance, Im so naive so I think we will make it, he he.COYR!!!

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Have a read of this:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/weimann-diedhiou-dilemma-bristol-citys-3923302

interesting spot....in the Youtube Clips he always seems to be left side of centre.  But we saw that issue with Wright too.

Yep interesting. I guess not playing Fam is even more of a dilemma away, given his defensive qualities vs the possibility of quick breaks with AW and NW instead. In fact yesterday almost played like an away game with the amount of Fulham possession.

the team v Blackburn will be v interesting but suspect Fam will be back, although perhaps with AW on the right?

3 hours ago, City oz said:

Would give at least a 7 to Fammy. When he came it seemed like we stepped up another gear. The change was one of the best substitutions this season as it appeared Fulham could not adapt to the change of play 

Dave sorry maybe I forgot to add I watched it live on Foxtel. 

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Maenpaa - 8 - three excellent saves today, commanded the area, communicates well.  The save from Reid in first half was brilliant, strong hand and saw it late.  Couple of dodgy goal kicks reminded me of Frankie, but everything else cool and calm, which is what you want.

Pereira - 7 - one of his best games in a City shirt.  Did both aspects of the game today decently against a tough opponent.  Pretty calm defender too (apart from that bad foul).  Improving, good to see.

Dasilva - 7 - pretty steady today, got forward well and linked well with midfield and forwards.

Kalas - 8 - super performance from him today against arguably the best striker in the division.  Love it when I see a CB get up early for his headers.  Couple of vital blocks too, as well as some good passes 2nd half clipped in behind the full-back.  Looks sharp and back to near his best.  Good timing!

Baker - 6 - subbed off with concussion following a heavy challenge on Kamara.

Benkovic - 6 - pretty steady coming on for a Baker.  Bit casual on 1/2 occasions 2nd half, but attached the ball well.

Paterson - 6 - in and out game today, looked a bit lost in certain periods of first half as Fulham passed around him.  Stuck to it, and made two big tackles in that period.

Diedhiou - 6 - put himself about from long balls and also for his part in the goal before Pereira nodded it to Wells.

Massengo - 6.5 - lots of good things, facing forwards he used the ball well, got caught back to goal (although a couple of times he was obviously fouled).  That bit he will learn.  Thought he played some brave passes today, lobbing the ball over opponent.  Understandably run out of steam last 10...although two fantastic blocks on Cairney late on too.

O’Dowda - 7.5 - after a quiet start he really grew into the game.  Saw him make some 50:50 challenges too!!  Good running with the ball and got us going second half.  So much better, and did his defensive duties too.

Weimann - 7 - such an improved performance.  Involved in a lot of our good stuff 1st half, finding pockets and linking with Wells.  And what a run in the second half.  Did a good job when switching to RW when Fam came on for Pato.

E31:

I agree within half a point on those scores.

Manpaa: I'm much happier with him in goal. Good technique when saving, and commands his box well. Having said that, got away with one near the end today.

Pereira: Earlier performances were hit and miss, but as you said he was very good all round yesterday. If he had 20 odd performances like that under his belt then I'd almost snapping your hand off at Euro 6.5M.

Massengo: I think he gets caught mostly because (perversely) he doesn't want to give the ball away and is expecting a teammate to come and give him an option. I don't know what possesses some people to make an 18/19 year old learning their trade a scapegoat. Probably the same people who think it's okay to boo Bobby Reid, make a fuss when the opposition place the ball legally for a corner, and think that pyro 'adds to the atmosphere'.

COD: Such a joy to see one of our team running diagonally through the opposition midfield, opening out space for us to exploit. Just needs a bit more awareness.

We were the second best team, but not really by an awful lot. Certainly worlds apart from the display at Huddersfield. Rince and repeat for Blackburn?

I’ve just watched the whole game back on TV and I’m even more pleased with that performance than when I watched it live yesterday. Some of the movement and the forward running and passing especially in the first half was great. It is a shame we didn’t score in that first half. I’d stick with the same line up next match (if injuries/illness permits). A few players who have not been consistent starters were good: Kalas looks back to his best; Korey’s leadership and communication was evident; Pereira looks like he’s been playing all season; O’Dowda may be hitting form at the tight time; and Massengo showed some good play and hustling (I’m more positive about his performance than others and I think his and Korey’s work was a big part of keeping a good Fulham side at bay.) All in all it was a really good game - bring on the next nine! Plus Wells was fouled before Cairney’s goal but they could have had a pen right at the death (Maenpaa foul). I also thought we should have had a pen when Fam’s shirt was ripped off but even Sky missed that as well as the ref. 

2 hours ago, eardun said:

I’ve just watched the whole game back on TV and I’m even more pleased with that performance than when I watched it live yesterday. Some of the movement and the forward running and passing especially in the first half was great. It is a shame we didn’t score in that first half. I’d stick with the same line up next match (if injuries/illness permits). A few players who have not been consistent starters were good: Kalas looks back to his best; Korey’s leadership and communication was evident; Pereira looks like he’s been playing all season; O’Dowda may be hitting form at the tight time; and Massengo showed some good play and hustling (I’m more positive about his performance than others and I think his and Korey’s work was a big part of keeping a good Fulham side at bay.) All in all it was a really good game - bring on the next nine! Plus Wells was fouled before Cairney’s goal but they could have had a pen right at the death (Maenpaa foul). I also thought we should have had a pen when Fam’s shirt was ripped off but even Sky missed that as well as the ref. 

Good movement first half but poor final ball most of the time I thought. Or poor long shots by Weimann and Paterson first half.

I am encouraged like you with the positions we got the ball into but we need better final balls. Weimann works better with Wells than Fam, but he lacks composure.

I still think a true creative number 10 in behind Wells is the way to go, if Wells is what LJ is going with from now on.

Archived