IGNORED

Half Man Half Biscuit

Bristol Rob

12 hours ago, TomF said:

I’m sure @Tim S has seen him recently 

Eh? Firstly I have no idea who or what HMHB is.

Secondly - Patrick is still around although dont think he works the doors anymore. I meet up with him every year for an Odyssey/The Works reunion. 

I know half of Bristol got barred by him - but the man is a living legend and you knew where you stood with him. He even kicked me out of the club one night - and I was the DJ!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Wilf said:

I know from the references over the years that there’s a small HMHB Appreciation Society on here so thought I’d mention that Friday’s gig at  SWX opened with a name check for Trevor Tainton!

And Trescothick, who I understand was in the crowd.  Good gig.  Not as many of the old DHSS tracks as id have liked, but still good.  There’s a HMHB thread on the non-Footie forum.

• Like 3

Oops, just crashed the main forum with this! Thought the mention of Trevor Tainton justified it.  Thanks Dave for the pointer to this thread.

Amazing how many posters from the forum were there! Testament to the quality of the band I suggest.

Personally I thought the band were on great form last night.  I’m probably in the minority in saying that I love the new stuff more than the old.  Long may they continue!

Edited by Wilf
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wilf said:

Oops, just crashed the main forum with this! Thought the mention of Trevor Tainton justified it.  Thanks Dave for the pointer to this thread.

Amazing how many posters from the forum were there! Testament to the quality of the band I suggest.

Personally I thought the band were on great form last night.  I’m probably in the minority in saying that I love the new stuff more than the old.  Long may they continue!

I've seen them play better gigs, but I think that was more to do with the venue than the band.

Not disappointed with the set list however, obviously we'll all have a few favourites from their back catalogue that never got played, but there was a good mix of tunes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wilf said:

Agree. Their more recent albums consistently superb!

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Could list a load, but Mathematically Safe is a good'un.

Yeah that's got the slight surf rock lilt to it.

As well as favourite tracks, what are our favourite lyrics, place references and random D list celebrity references?

27 minutes ago, mozo said:

As well as favourite tracks, what are our favourite lyrics, place references and random D list celebrity references?

"Not long now till lollipop man are called Darren"

Totnes Bickering Fair

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mozo said:

Trouble is these days you never see a dog on the pitch. Or Y is for Yate the sort of place that referees come from.

22 hours ago, mozo said:

From ‘Swerving the Checkatrade’:

i’d rather gaze upon your curves, instead of Ipswich Town reserves.

I was going to pick out a couple of examples from this, but the whole damn thing is so good I couldn't not add the lot, I just highlighted a few "sport related" ones and one about Swindon instead.

We’re just receiving reports of an incident at a farm in Sussex where a number of people have been arrested in connection with “Annoying The Nation”.
It is believed that that the owner of the farm, a Mr. Hibbert, has been co-operating with police and government officials in a plot codenamed Operation Less Pricks, and kindly granted permission for the use of his seventeenth-century tithe barn as a temporary holding place for those arrested. Although not confirmed, we are led to understand that those already charged include:
Bus drivers who don’t wait for people to sit down before pulling away from the bus stop;
Taxi drivers who use their horns instead of knocking on the door;
People who moan at the council about the streets being full of litter, not stopping to think that it is people who drop litter, not the council;
A room full of drama teachers listening to Björk;
Grown men with replica shirts worn over their jumpers, who stand up and stretch out their arms when the opposing team fail to hit the target;
An assortment of scriptwriters, novelists and playwrights who own Agas but don’t know how to use them;
A musical equipment reviewer responsible for an article titled “Microphone of the Month”;
A woman who described herself as “A little bit Bridget, a little bit Ally, a little bit Sex And The City” and chose to call her baby boy Fred as a childishly rebellious attempt at a clever reaction to those who might have expected her to call him Julian or Rupert. Bit of advice: call him Rupert, it fits, and besides it’s a good name. Don’t be calling him Fred or Archie, with all its cheeky but lovable working-class-scamp connotations, unless you really do have plans for him to spend his life in William Hill’s waiting for them to weigh in at Newton Abbot.
Also being held is a whole wall full of teenagers spitting needlessly;
An amateur thug in camouflage trousers whose Japanese fighting dog had run amok on a Swindon council estate;
A man from the record company who said that George Michael continues to challenge social taboos through his music;
Lisa Riley;
Continuity announcers introducing comedy shows;
A pub band who get uppity when everyone goes to the bar during a song they’ve written themselves;
A group of football fans referred to as Commodores, as in once, twice, three times a season, who feed sugar lumps to police horses at Cup Finals;
An artist who said his next album would be more “song-based”;
A man who informs people that he gets up at six am every morning and seemed to want a medal;
People who say they speak as they find and are somehow proud of it;
Journalists who try to spell an interviewee’s laugh;
An organisation who declared an awareness week for awareness weeks;
And a council worker who dropped litter.
We’ll bring you more details as they emerge…

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wilf said:

So, anyone off to Frome on the 26th for this or is it just me?

I was going to do a Westward Ho! reference but I guess its South East for most of us.

Not been to the venue before (Cheese & Grain) so looking forward to a good night.

Same here, never been to the Cheese and Grain either. I have managed to persuade the lovely wife that this should be her first HMHB gig, so looking forward to explaining all the references. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Same here, never been to the Cheese and Grain either. I have managed to persuade the lovely wife that this should be her first HMHB gig, so looking forward to explaining all the references. :)

A few years back, went to see them at the Academy. There was a guy there, with what must have been his wife or long term girlfriend, because if they were"new" she would have run for the hills. He spent all night singing all the lyrics of every song to her with a big grin. She must have been a very understanding and loving woman ?

• Haha 1