IGNORED

1980-81, can anyone help?

Roadrunner

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

My late father would know for sure, but this is a very good call.

Bob was a director at that time and had managed non-league previously. I think he was a dedicated trackie wearer.

Didn’t he manage at Minehead ?

If so , pretty sure it’s not him

11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Don't remember - but there was Andy Leach who scored a load for them in the mid 70s ?

But back then they had a few who scored for fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976–77_Southern_Football_League

Ahhh

I’m going back a few years before (Boyd prob not manager then )

?

Tony Clausen Possibly 

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Don't remember - but there was Andy Leach who scored a load for them in the mid 70s ?

But back then they had a few who scored for fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976–77_Southern_Football_League

Thanks for the link, It really shows a sliding doors moment.  Wimbledon finishing ahead of Minehead, going on to make it into the FL...Minehead, going bust and slumming it in the western League against players like me!!!  Their clubhouse has lots of photos and stuff from that era.

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Going through some of my old images of the City today. Two City managers in this one Bob Houghton and Roy Hodgson. Can anyone help me with who the other person is.

002.jpg

is the bloke on the left judge Rinder

51 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ahhh

I’m going back a few years before (Boyd prob not manager then )

?

Tony Clausen Possibly 

Minehead had Andy Leitch, Jimmy Jenkins, Mike Madge, Ninny Durbin, Phil Brake. All top non-league players. Tony Clausen ended playing for Watchet Town in Somerset Prem managed by his brother if I remember rightly. Played against him many a time.

Might it be the following season? We also had an assistant around at the time named 'Tole' or 'Tolle' or something like that. Like most at that time he didn't last long but I recall him as having lots of hair.

Longshot - it couldn't be Tainton on a bad hair day, could it?

1 hour ago, Zip Nolan said:

Minehead had Andy Leitch, Jimmy Jenkins, Mike Madge, Ninny Durbin, Phil Brake. All top non-league players. Tony Clausen ended playing for Watchet Town in Somerset Prem managed by his brother if I remember rightly. Played against him many a time.

What a lovely guy he was.  When I was at Brislington (94-96) we had a night match and were struggling for players (fixture backlog from crap winter), so Phil played and another well-known local player Bob Perrot (who'd been a pro at City), who must both have been 40 (apologies if I’ve aged them!!).  Neither had played for a few years, but Phil was brilliant, scored twice (nobody got past Bob either). Can only imagine what he’d been like in his hey-day.

It was playing with players like these that made me truly appreciate how good pros are, and probably why I don’t like it when people slate players with comments like “Downs League”.

Jenkins I only played cricket against, was massively competitive.

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks for the link, It really shows a sliding doors moment.  Wimbledon finishing ahead of Minehead, going on to make it into the FL...Minehead, going bust and slumming it in the western League against players like me!!!  Their clubhouse has lots of photos and stuff from that era.

Minehead finished 2nd only to Wimbledon in the Conference? You learn something every day. I would never have thought such a small place would be that close to league status. Where do they play now? Same league as Clevedon Town about I should not wonder.

12 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Minehead finished 2nd only to Wimbledon in the Conference? You learn something every day. I would never have thought such a small place would be that close to league status. Where do they play now? Same league as Clevedon Town about I should not wonder.

Somerset County League Division One.

Way down from those heady days of the 70's.

54 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Somerset County League Division One.

Way down from those heady days of the 70's.

During those heady days they made it to the early rounds of the FA cup where they were drawn away to Portsmouth.

I have no idea of the guy in the photo’s name but could he have been the ‘trainer’ with the magic sponge. Only four people sat in the dug out in those days, the manager his assistant, the trainer (with his bucket and sponge) and the sub (unless 2 subs had been introduced by then).

I reckon he’s like one of those blokes who used hang around the Downs League dressing rooms On a Saturday,hoping that a team would be short and give him a game,only he hung around outside our players entrance,only made sub though.

19 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I reckon he’s like one of those blokes who used hang around the Downs League dressing rooms On a Saturday,hoping that a team would be short and give him a game,only he hung around outside our players entrance,only made sub though.

A couple of years later and he would of got a game..

I am convinced that it is Bill Heather, I have a recollection of seeing him in a photo in a programme which may well have been the first game of the season, accompanying Clive Whitehead off of the pitch during a pre-season friendly prior to 80/81, and recognise him from the dug-out photo. IIRC this was his first season as physio, and we had just been relegated from the top flight. That was the season that I moved from the East End to behind the home dugout in the old enclosure, so I remember seeing him a lot.  I have trouble remembering what level I am on Candy Crush, but trust me on this one!

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

My dad has been sneakily reading otib, and text me to tell me that Andy Leitch was his apprentice (print trade), which I already knew....but then he let slip he’d played in the same Totterdown team as him.

Archived