IGNORED

Next Season’s Squad

Davefevs

This is who we have based on contract expiry, plus in brackets where going into final year (and known year options):

GK: (4)

Bentley, O’Leary (1), Wollacott (1), Gilmartin (1)

[Maenpaa OOC]

RBs: (1)

Hunt (1)

[Pereira loan ended]

LBs: (2)

Dasilva, Pring (1)

CBs: (5)

Kalas, Vyner (1), Baker (1), Moore (1), Cundy (1)

[Williams OOC, Wright OOC, Benkovic loan ended]

CMs: (10)

Massengo, Nagy, Palmer, Szmodics, Morrell, Bakinson, Morton, Paterson (1), Walsh (1 assume option taken), Rowe (1)

[K.Smith OOC, Henriksen loan ended]

Wingers: (6)

O’Dowda, Eliasson (1), J.Smith (1), Watkins (1), Adelakun (1), Holden (1)

Forwards: (6)

Wells, Semenyo, Janneh, Weimann (1), Diedhiou (1), Hinds (1)

[Taylor OOC, Afobe loan ended]

A squad of 34.  You’d expect the likes of Morton, Janneh to maybe go out on loan.  Expect Korey to get an extension.  Probably missed off some youngsters like Nurse who might be OOC thus summer too.

I expect most of those with 1 year left the club will have a year option for.

I expect us to loan most of but maybe sell some of 12 of those that are not close to the first team.

That makes 22 of proper first team squad. 23 if Korey is kept on.

Probably sell a few in our squad too for profits.

I reckon we will extend Korey's deal. Probably more a case of if he wants to stay! I'm sure he will have interested clubs.

I don't think we will need to do a crazy amount of signings in the summer.

Pereira and Afobe on permanents. A quality centre back or 2.

We could have a bit of a smaller squad next season I reckon.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

This is a must, specially if Johnson is still here , less options would be good.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Pereira and Afobe on permanents

Not sure about this, Pereira (rumoured) fee way too high, even Afobe at £2m might be worth an attempt at renegotiating after his injury. Needs to prove long term fitness.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I reckon we will extend Korey's deal.

Be amazed if we don't, specially if he proves he's over the recent long term injuries.

Interesting reading @Davefevs , I would think we will lose the likes of,
Cundy, Bakinson, Morton, J.Smith, Holden and Janneh on loan.
I think maybe Hinds, Adelukin and Eliasson could leave permanently . Others possibly, but a lot comes down to who is manager , I really believe LJ could go if we capitulate in the last part of the season which would obviously mean a rethink. Even if Johnson stays he will want new players in and may loan out some first team squad players to allow it. If he stays , any incoming must rely on quality and not quantity for a change.

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I reckon we will extend Korey's deal. Probably more a case of if he wants to stay! I'm sure he will have interested clubs.

It probably suited us to wait and see if he was 100% okay following his latest injury. Now it probably suits him. Hope he stays on.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

This is who we have based on contract expiry, plus in brackets where going into final year (and known year options for those with one year left)

GK: (4)

Bentley, O’Leary (1+1), Wollacott (1+1),  Gilmartin (1)

[Maenpaa OOC]

RBs: (1)

Hunt (1)

[Pereira loan ended]

LBs: (2)

Dasilva, Pring (1)

CBs: (5)

Kalas, Vyner (1+1), Baker (1), Moore (1), Cundy (1+1)

[Williams OOC, Wright OOC, Benkovic loan ended]

CMs: (10)

Massengo, Nagy, Palmer, Szmodics, Morrell, Bakinson, Morton, Paterson (1), Walsh (1 assume option taken), Rowe (1)

[K.Smith OOC, Henriksen loan ended]

Wingers: (6)

O’Dowda, Eliasson (1), J.Smith (1), Watkins (1), Adelakun (1+1), Holden (1+1)

Forwards: (6)

Wells, Semenyo, Janneh, Weimann (1+1), Diedhiou (1), Hinds (1+1)

[Taylor OOC, Afobe loan ended]

A squad of 34.  You’d expect the likes of Morton, Janneh to maybe go out on loan.  Expect Korey to get an extension.  Probably missed off some youngsters like Nurse who might be OOC thus summer too.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This is a must, specially if Johnson is still here , less options would be good.

Not sure about this, Pereira (rumoured) fee way too high, even Afobe at £2m might be worth an attempt at renegotiating after his injury. Needs to prove long term fitness.

Be amazed if we don't, specially if he proves he's over the recent long term injuries.

Interesting reading @Davefevs , I would think we will lose the likes of,
Cundy, Bakinson, Morton, J.Smith, Holden and Janneh on loan.
I think maybe Hinds, Adelukin and Eliasson could leave permanently . Others possibly, but a lot comes down to who is manager , I really believe LJ could go if we capitulate in the last part of the season which would obviously mean a rethink. Even if Johnson stays he will want new players in and may loan out some first team squad players to allow it. If he stays , any incoming must rely on quality and not quantity for a change.

Is that 6 million rumour at all reliable? Can't remember where it's from.

I believe Pereira will go on to be worth even more than that in the future. But would like to think the agreed option fee is a bit less than that.

Afobe maybe down to how good he does end of this season. If it is 2 million then wow that could potentially be an amazing bargain.

I'd sell quite a few senior players if we get decent enough offers. The likes of Hunt, Baker, Weimann and Paterson. Even Diedhiou. All depends on the interest. Eliasson i expect to go for a fairly big fee.

This would not necessarily mean bringing in loads of new players. We have plenty of quality coming back from loan.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest do you think any deserve to?

I think many recent signings have been unnecessary and have blocked the pathway.

ZERO new squad debutants this season. Not one academy player making their debut. 

20 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I think many recent signings have been unnecessary and have blocked the pathway.

ZERO new squad debutants this season. Not one academy player making their debut. 

Which academy player is ready to make a debut? No academy player yet to make an appearance yet playing in league 1 so its a massive ask for any player even doing alright in league 2 to step up to the championship when our objective is top 6

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

Which academy player is ready to make a debut? No academy player yet to make an appearance yet playing in league 1 so its a massive ask for any player even doing alright in league 2 to step up to the championship when our objective is top 6

Appreciate it's not easy to balance top 6 and academy pathway but we aren't doing enough right now, imo. 

We've got a great crop of youngsters coming through but there's not gonna be any space for them to break into a squad and learn through game-time with us.

Too many loans in, free agents or squad filling signings. 

Morrell returning vs Henriksen on loan

Walsh vs Nagy/Massengo

Moore vs Benkovic on loan/Williams signing.

O'Leary vs Marinovic 

Semenyo vs Rodri

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Appreciate it's not easy to balance top 6 and academy pathway but we aren't doing enough right now, imo. 

We've got a great crop of youngsters coming through but there's not gonna be any space for them to break into a squad and learn through game-time with us.

Walsh vs Nagy/Massengo

O'Leary vs Marinovic 

Semenyo vs Rodri

None of those are players making their debuts though which the post I quoted talked about as for the others its tough when the objective changes to a top 6 finish, say we'd kept Joe around and no Massengo or Nagy (one or other rather than both not coming), Max stayed and we didn't sign Bentley, Zak stuck around and no Pereira, all these but we we are 11th now instead of 7th Johnson would probably be getting criticised for not reaching top 6. If our objective was just a mid table finish I have no doubt academy players/younger ones we've brought in would be getting many more minutes.

FFP could be a problem in a couple of years, if the players aren’t coming through to sell, with a large squad on good wages, we will be losing a lot of cash. 
I get the feeling that we will be trimming the squad in the summer, of course the big problem is finding a buyer for the fringe players, and in many cases, getting them to accept a pay cut.

10 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Walsh vs Nagy/Massengo

O'Leary vs Marinovic 

Semenyo vs Rodri

Agree on Morrell, Moore and O'Leary but I think whilst the pathway is blocked a little that the signings of Nagy & Massengo will prove to be astute. 

As for Semenyo, I appreciate you are a fan but he was not up to it at all. He needed a loan and we needed a forward on a short term basis. Rodri looked rusty but at least he offered us something.

Does anyone know how Semenyo has been doing on loan?

15 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Agree on Morrell, Moore and O'Leary but I think whilst the pathway is blocked a little that the signings of Nagy & Massengo will prove to be astute. 

As for Semenyo, I appreciate you are a fan but he was not up to it at all. He needed a loan and we needed a forward on a short term basis. Rodri looked rusty but at least he offered us something.

Does anyone know how Semenyo has been doing on loan?

Not been playing.

12 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure about this, Pereira (rumoured) fee way too high,

Was the fee supposedly 6mil??.....

He's young,progressive and would love to keep him,,but at that price ?..

If not would like us to look at Ryan Nyambe at Blackburn who also won't be cheep,,but for me superior & 'better value'.

Perfect world would be Periera & Nyambe and move on Hunt,, sadly not possible!

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I expect most of those with 1 year left the club will have a year option for.

I expect us to loan most of but maybe sell some of 12 of those that are not close to the first team.

That makes 22 of proper first team squad. 23 if Korey is kept on.

Probably sell a few in our squad too for profits.

I don't think we will need to do a crazy amount of signings in the summer.

Pereira and Afobe on permanents. A quality centre back or 2.

Its been mentioned they want 6 million for perrera i like him but they wont pay that.

For me:

GK: Maenpaa gets a new deal - I think it's really tight between him and Bentley, but after Saturday I'm possibly saying Maenpaa shades it. Two solid options, plus Gilmartin. O'Leary and Wollacott on loans.

RB: Keep Hunt, but obvious we need a signing here, and I would expect us to sign a first choice RB. I like Pereira, but given the cost and amount he's actually played this season I think it's pretty unlikely to be him, though I would not be disappointed if it was.

LB: Dasilva first choice, Rowe fine as back-up, he did well there this season. If there's a league one side who is willing to give Pring game time, then a loan for him to see what he's got, otherwise sell. Wouldn't prioritise a signing in this position.

CB: Kalas first choice, keep Baker and Moore, but I would expect a fourth option to be brought in. Vyner I don't see making it here, and would sell, Cundy I would apply the same logic as Pring above. No new deal for Williams or Wright, unless Williams was to be considered for coaching development.

CM: Massengo, Nagy, Morrell, Walsh and Smith (extend) competing for places. I will do a separate category for AM options. Bakinson and Morton need more time on loans, Rowe I have included as back-up at LB, he could be an emergency in midfield too. Don't see us needing to sign in this position unless something mega became available - I really want Walsh to be playing regularly.

Wings: O'Dowda, Eliasson - It's quite hard to judge what we need here as it depends what formation we are going to play. As we know Johnson likes to chop and change and I don't see why he would stop doing so (although I'd love us to have a settled shape). If we are going to play wingers, then we would need to sign another option, or two. If it's going to be an option off the bench or an occasional switch, we can probably cope with these two, and Paterson/Weimann used as other options. I would apply the Pring/Cundy logic to Holden and Smith, and sell Watkins and Adelakun. I'll go for one signing coming in, plus Cal & Nik.

AM: Paterson, Palmer and Szmodics for most sides you'd say are enough options. However, Johnson's going nowhere, and I think it's fairly clear he doesn't fully trust any of these three players. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised to see any of all of these players sold, with another option (or two) brought in. most likely for me would be Paterson kept on with a new signing, Palmer (loaned) and Szmodics sold.

FW: Wells, Weimann, Diedhiou, I would gamble on Afobe and be done there. Sell Hinds, loan Janneh and Semenyo.

So that would be:

GK (3), RB (2 (1 Signing)), LB (2), CB (4 (1 signing)), CM (5), Wings (3 (1 signing)), AM (2 (1 signing)), FW (4 (1 signing)).

Squad of 25. I'm probably falling foul of home grown rules here somehow, but oh well.

4 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

For me:

GK: Maenpaa gets a new deal - I think it's really tight between him and Bentley, but after Saturday I'm possibly saying Maenpaa shades it. Two solid options, plus Gilmartin. O'Leary and Wollacott on loans.

RB: Keep Hunt, but obvious we need a signing here, and I would expect us to sign a first choice RB. I like Pereira, but given the cost and amount he's actually played this season I think it's pretty unlikely to be him, though I would not be disappointed if it was.

LB: Dasilva first choice, Rowe fine as back-up, he did well there this season. If there's a league one side who is willing to give Pring game time, then a loan for him to see what he's got, otherwise sell. Wouldn't prioritise a signing in this position.

CB: Kalas first choice, keep Baker and Moore, but I would expect a fourth option to be brought in. Vyner I don't see making it here, and would sell, Cundy I would apply the same logic as Pring above. No new deal for Williams or Wright, unless Williams was to be considered for coaching development.

CM: Massengo, Nagy, Morrell, Walsh and Smith (extend) competing for places. I will do a separate category for AM options. Bakinson and Morton need more time on loans, Rowe I have included as back-up at LB, he could be an emergency in midfield too. Don't see us needing to sign in this position unless something mega became available - I really want Walsh to be playing regularly.

Wings: O'Dowda, Eliasson - It's quite hard to judge what we need here as it depends what formation we are going to play. As we know Johnson likes to chop and change and I don't see why he would stop doing so (although I'd love us to have a settled shape). If we are going to play wingers, then we would need to sign another option, or two. If it's going to be an option off the bench or an occasional switch, we can probably cope with these two, and Paterson/Weimann used as other options. I would apply the Pring/Cundy logic to Holden and Smith, and sell Watkins and Adelakun. I'll go for one signing coming in, plus Cal & Nik.

AM: Paterson, Palmer and Szmodics for most sides you'd say are enough options. However, Johnson's going nowhere, and I think it's fairly clear he doesn't fully trust any of these three players. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised to see any of all of these players sold, with another option (or two) brought in. most likely for me would be Paterson kept on with a new signing, Palmer (loaned) and Szmodics sold.

FW: Wells, Weimann, Diedhiou, I would gamble on Afobe and be done there. Sell Hinds, loan Janneh and Semenyo.

So that would be:

GK (3), RB (2 (1 Signing)), LB (2), CB (4 (1 signing)), CM (5), Wings (3 (1 signing)), AM (2 (1 signing)), FW (4 (1 signing)).

Squad of 25. I'm probably falling foul of home grown rules here somehow, but oh well.

Agree with some things you say there. But I don't see why Vyner won't make it with us. Cundy is actually older than Vyner and is only playing conference level.

Vyner has league two, league one, championship and Scottish Prem experience. 

I would either loan him back to league one for a club that want him as a centre back, or use him as back up for us.

24 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

For me:

So that would be:

I think you've nailed most of that. 

As JD says, I'd be happy for Vyner to compete for CB, and I'd agree that Moore should be in that mix too.

I personally think 20/21 will be Baker's last season with us so a good time to have the young bucks pushing for his place.

The usual issue of height might come into Johnson's feverish analysis, but maybe he needs to let that go and make a success of the current assembly of shorties. 

I don't think we need to bring many in. We just need to get what we've got well drilled and up for it. 

33 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree with some things you say there. But I don't see why Vyner won't make it with us. Cundy is actually older than Vyner and is only playing conference level.

Vyner has league two, league one, championship and Scottish Prem experience. 

I would either loan him back to league one for a club that want him as a centre back, or use him as back up for us.

I don't see Vyner as ever being a regular starter,or probably even back up in a team pushing for top six/automatic in the Championship.

Too many weaknesses & won't make it here.

In short, the head coach and his team don't believe that the young players (academy or otherwise) are good enough. Otherwise, they would be playing.

We have to face reality and make some tough decisions. Our squad is currently too big. We need to sell or let players go who aren't deemed good enough.

And then we need to ask two serious questions:

1. Why is the "ones for the future" recruitment policy failing so badly?
  2. Why isn't the academy consistently delivering championship ready talent?

These need to be answered in the context of "who is the head coach" at the end of the season. Johnson will not be going anywhere. My view is that we have systemic failures in the academy and the recruitment side.

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

For me:

So that would be:

Good reply.

Out of interest, we probably need to raise £8-10m each season before we buy anyone on average. We are probably able to ignore that this summer and spend all that we raise.

Fo you think there are enough players in your list going out the door to have enough to recruit stronger?

I think Eliasson will be gone, but we won’t get what some people think we’ll get for him - £7/8m most imho.

I think Fam will be off too to fund Afobe.  

Archived