IGNORED

Little worried, felt a little optimistic after Saturday

1960maaan

Not sure why, decent performance, reasonable point, but optimism ? Not my usual go to emotion...... so why?  I have a theory.

Saturday was better, I don't think it was just that I ended up in Old Market , in a great little pub ( Elmers bar as you ask) at an all day Ska, reggae and soul fest, but across the team, better. We held and moved the ball, better. We pressed and tackled better and individually we were, well , better. Not great maybe, but a vast improvement on what has been served up lately.  But that's not enough to lift, what has been quite a dark mood over the football side of my life, and I'm not saying I expect promotion or even a playoff place, but just maybe.  

The thing that has got me thinking that we could continue to improve at just the right time, is that the players who have come back from injury, have finally started to get match fit. Korey Smith, Jay DaSilva and  Tomas Kalas have all been out for months, but have all now got games in and look back to their best. That's a quarter of the team potentially hitting form for the run in. Add a proven goal scorer, which we have added, plus ODowda and Paterson upping their game and Pereira looking very good, maybe our run is going to be timed right this year. Throw into the mix that no-one else wants to win the bloody thing either and ????

It was much better than recent displays but I'd hardly call it a decent performance. Manaeppa kept us in it.

There's no reason why we can't go on another run though and break into the top six. We are capable of stringing wins together under LJ, we just need to hit form at the right time and who knows.

It was much better - but people need to remember that we’ll need a quite significant improvement in results.

Over the last 20 games, discounting the Shrewsbury cup games, we’ve only picked up 7 wins. The squad is capable, but I feel Saturday really needs to have been the turning point.

14 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

It was much better than recent displays but I'd hardly call it a decent performance. Manaeppa kept us in it.

There's no reason why we can't go on another run though and break into the top six. We are capable of stringing wins together under LJ, we just need to hit form at the right time and who knows.

I'd say decent considering the opposition . Maenpaa made 2 saves , over egging it to say he kept us in it IMO, important saves, as they all are, but their keeper did his bit too. We did, at last carry a threat for a change.

4 minutes ago, Kibs said:

It was much better - but people need to remember that we’ll need a quite significant improvement in results.

Over the last 20 games, discounting the Shrewsbury cup games, we’ve only picked up 7 wins. The squad is capable, but I feel Saturday really needs to have been the turning point.

That is sort of my point, maybe with important players hitting form the rest of them will be dragged along and into one of streaky Johnson's good streaks.

Well 1960maan. I think you have got all the OP right. 

I go to home games {and a few away) with two old mates and walking back on Saturday we agreed that the game v (a very good) Fulham was probably our best home performance this season. 

What we liked was getting back to keeping the ball on the ground and matching Fulham with pressing. The whole team equalled them across the pitch,  but the big difference was the cohesion of our midfield - organised by Korey Smith - who is (finally) back to his top form - but also he was greatly assisted by COD who was my MOM.

We all thought a draw was a fair result.

I still think we can sneak into the play-offs, not least because we have an easier run-in than most of our rivals currently in the 3 - 10 position in the League. 

BUT - just to add some realism, with a bit of luck we might make the play-off final but I can't see us winning it.

I would love to be proved wrong about my forecasts. 

23 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

If we can somehow get 4/5pts from next 9pts then that keeps us in it going into international break with games Left that are winnable, You never know we may have another striker to call upon by then !

Realistically we probably need 2 points a game from now on in, that's top 2 form over a season, really can't see us hitting that sort of form all of a sudden.

24 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Realistically we probably need 2 points a game from now on in, that's top 2 form over a season, really can't see us hitting that sort of form all of a sudden.

I expect a lot of other teams supporters are saying the same - no team around us is in that sort of form.

I don't think we need 2 points a game at all.

And I've seen some really good signs in the last two games that we are getting our game together, we may just be coming into form at the right time :pray:

An optimistic and positive thread - great (really). 
The thing is, just when we think we’ve cracked the magic formula - we go and lose. Remember against Huddersfield we thought we’d found it - same team again next week please Lee was the cry - he did - and we went and bloody lost!!!

Along the positivity line though - I’ve no idea how to call the next few games - so opposition managers are probably also scratching their heads too!!!

1 hour ago, The Red Planet said:

I go to home games {and a few away) with two old mates and walking back on Saturday we agreed that the game v (a very good) Fulham was probably our best home performance this season. 

What we liked was getting back to keeping the ball on the ground and matching Fulham with pressing. The whole team equalled them across the pitch,  but the big difference was the cohesion of our midfield - organised by Korey Smith - who is (finally) back to his top form - but also he was greatly assisted by COD who was my MOM.

I still think we can sneak into the play-offs, not least because we have an easier run-in than most of our rivals currently in the 3 - 10 position in the League. 

BUT - just to add some realism, with a bit of luck we might make the play-off final but I can't see us winning it.

I would love to be proved wrong about my forecasts

Only the one about us losing the PO final surely? 

8 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I expect a lot of other teams supporters are saying the same - no team around us is in that sort of form.

I don't think we need 2 points a game at all.

And I've seen some really good signs in the last two games that we are getting our game together, we may just be coming into form at the right time :pray:

We are 3rd bottom in the last 6 form guide only Wednesday and Hull below us, you may be right about not needing 2 points a game tho, the lowest ever points total for play off place was 68 points, average is 73 which would require us to get 2 points a game plus our goal difference is poor but possibly lower than 73 may get you in there this season.

9 hours ago, The Red Planet said:

I would love to be proved wrong about my forecasts. 

If we make the play off final then form , class and reputation go out the window.

It’s not luck but unknowns that often dictate the result of a final , a yellow card restricting a player’s effectiveness, an injury , a ref’s error ... 

We just need to get there and hope that this is , finally, our time.

38 minutes ago, weepywall said:

We are 3rd bottom in the last 6 form guide only Wednesday and Hull below us, you may be right about not needing 2 points a game tho, the lowest ever points total for play off place was 68 points, average is 73 which would require us to get 2 points a game plus our goal difference is poor but possibly lower than 73 may get you in there this season.

Realism!

LJ has already made a pig's ear of it, I'll be genuinely very surprised if we even finish in the top half.

How pleasing to get a post from someone who speaks for (I guess) 95% of City fans; in contrast to many OPs from people who didn't go to the game or are inclined to be negative. Many more things in life to worry and be upset about so this realism and optimism about the City is most welcome.

I agree with players coming back. The season has shown up players who haven't had game time, especially the new signings. Rather than criticising the club for these buys (MA would have been wrong not to provide LJ and us with injury cover) I see Smith, JD, CoD Pereira, Kalas as key examples. If the newbies don't play again I won't be critical as it means the 'cover' hasn't been needed and for once we've had a 'streaky run' without bad injury.

Any return to the bench by Benik could be the absolute icing too. We need to avoid defeat to BRFC & Forest and beat Sheff Wed to be right in it as (probable) favourites for the P.Os by 22nd.

27 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Crap pressing from CM, how many times will we stand off an attacker on the edge of our box

Watched the highlights and Wells got between man and ball, and was tripped. Couldn’t see why City players were complaining on the day, but looks like a foul.

Archived