Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Marley Watkins

Will he play again this season? He's apparently back fit.

I always said he is a decent versatile championship player. A good player to have.

And he has shown that this season. He is proving a lot of people wrong imo.

I know he hasn't played much. But all he can do is play well when he gets his chance. Preston, Barnsley, Cardiff, Luton and Brentford games he played well in.

3 of those games the opposition really struggled with him. Cardiff when he was played up top with Weimann. And Luton and Brentford games on the right.

LJ said in the last post match interview that he will probably be using all the wingers from now till the end of the season.

I found that a bit strange. But it suggests Watkins may have some game time.

Another thing is if LJ is planning to drop Fam like last game then Watkins would give us the bonus of being good in the air at defending corners. Something we may really miss when Fam is dropped. We aren't the tallest of sides.

Good competition there with Eliasson not even getting in the side. Pato returning and doing well. O'Dowda back in form. We have 4 good options that all have different attributes.

Maybe we can rotate in those wide areas a bit. But try to keep the spine of the side and defence the same in these remaining games.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Will he play again this season? He's apparently back fit.

“Back on the grass” we are told, might not be match-ready yet though.

I always said he is a decent versatile championship player. A good player to have.

indeed, knack of getting goals too.

And he has shown that this season. He is proving a lot of people wrong imo.

my definition of him is “not pretty on the eye, but effective”.

I know he hasn't played much. But all he can do is play well when he gets his chance. Preston, Barnsley, Cardiff, Luton and Brentford games he played well in.

the Barnsley and Cardiff games as a willing-runner as a forward gave us something different up top.  Luton he did what I predicted in that he gave us someone willing to attack the back post.

3 of those games the opposition really struggled with him. Cardiff when he was played up top with Weimann. And Luton and Brentford games on the right.

we agree ⬆️

LJ said in the last post match interview that he will probably be using all the wingers from now till the end of the season.

I found that a bit strange. But it suggests Watkins may have some game time.

if he’s gonna persist of 442 with wide midfielders (rather than wingers as such), who are willing to come in off the touchline to create passing options, then Watkins will be useful in the match day 18 as a minimum.

Another thing is if LJ is planning to drop Fam like last game then Watkins would give us the bonus of being good in the air at defending corners. Something we may really miss when Fam is dropped. We aren't the tallest of sides.

yep, Wells did the near post job on Saturday, and is better in the air than I thought he was, but Watkins gives you physicality too.

Good competition there with Eliasson not even getting in the side. Pato returning and doing well. O'Dowda back in form. We have 4 good options that all have different attributes.

Maybe we can rotate in those wide areas a bit. But try to keep the spine of the side and defence the same in these remaining games.

think system will dictate.  Really interested to see what LJ does away from home this Saturday.  He is probably caught between going 4141 with Fam or continuing 442 like we saw at Home to Fulham.

• Like 1

He’s a useful player and adds something different but as he hardly gets any starts I can’t see him staying at City. He’s seems to be a strange buy - ie why buy him if he’s not going to figure in your plans for the team? 

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

He’s a useful player and adds something different but as he hardly gets any starts I can’t see him staying at City. He’s seems to be a strange buy - ie why buy him if he’s not going to figure in your plans for the team? 

Yep. When Pato and Weimann have mainly played wide. Brownhill has had games there. And of course Eliasson and O'Dowda being wingers. Watkins does seem a strange signing when he's been mainly behind all of them.

• Like 1

I like him .For a start he’s tall.He runs a lot.Plus his goal to game ratio must be ok.

I think that game ( can’t remember he had a mare/ early last season  ) when he was our central striker pushed a lot of fan base against him.

Again because of the tombola machine and his number not coming out along side injuries we just haven’t seen enough of him.

He’s the sort of player to leave and start getting rave reviews somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well he was a welcome surprise those few games where I thought he done well. That said take a lot to replace O’Dowda after his showing against Fulham. He isn’t ahead of Eliasson either. Those two plus Paterson who has played well. Though think he suits playing with Eliasson as he will attack back post and be a goal threat

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well he was a welcome surprise those few games where I thought he done well. That said take a lot to replace O’Dowda after his showing against Fulham. He isn’t ahead of Eliasson either. Those two plus Paterson who has played well. Though think he suits playing with Eliasson as he will attack back post and be a goal threat

That's all quite true, however never underestimate LJ's liking for a selection curveball. If I recall correctly, both times when he's had little runs of games this season have begun with him being picked from nowhere to start.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Injuries.

I was going to say Davefevs but you beat me to it INJURIES... Might come across harsh but blokes never fit and for a team / squad looking to push on unfortunately we can't keep carrying these types of player..... Watkins, Baker,and I'll get hated for it KS all need moving on the later kept for the youth system.... 

I sort of saw him as a defensive winger, allowed Brownhill to play inside and still have that wide midfielder type. I have to say, at times I did wonder if he'd ever played football before, I have somewhat changed my opinion . The Cardiff and Barnsley games showed what a bit of physicality could add to the side, and he does tend to come up with a goal.  Could add some solidity and an alternative from Wiemann out wide. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I sort of saw him as a defensive winger, allowed Brownhill to play inside and still have that wide midfielder type. I have to say, at times I did wonder if he'd ever played football before, I have somewhat changed my opinion . The Cardiff and Barnsley games showed what a bit of physicality could add to the side, and he does tend to come up with a goal.  Could add some solidity and an alternative from Wiemann out wide. 

He is better than Weimann as a winger imo.