It's all in the DNA
Droning and me
LJs guide to management
Did I miss anything

2 hours ago, Meh said:

Identity Theft

Box entries may be X rated 

8 hours ago, Shtanley said:

If the club do that. Then that'll be grand.

Why aren't they doing it already? Who thought it would be a good plan to block the pathway with players like Rodri, Marinovic, Williams, Henriksen, Watkins, Adelakun, Eisa, and others.

How are you picking and choosing who's on the pathway and who's blocking the pathway?

I think it's a very informative interview that answers many questions.

It's descriptive and he speaks in plain English.

I'm more baffled why certain one's don't understand it. It's very simply spoken and basic. Simple and Basic. ?

The bloke can't win regardless of what he says.

Does he need to be sat on a milk churn, chewing straw, drinking a flagon on Cider and munchin on a Clarks pie for it to be more palatable ??

This combined with the Guardian interview are refreshing.

Obviously stuff has gone on behind closed doors with players private lives that we don't know about, as well as the injuries etc.

Taking everything into consideration over the season that we know about, we've done ok imo...not attractive by any means, but still in with a shout.

Reading between the lines...can see a more settled side that are coached within an inch of their lives in the future. Hopefully we don't have anymore serious injuries.

If he could just translate the rhetoric into results then we would be way clear at the top of the Championship.

I like how he tries to educate the fans , much like a certain SOD , and feel that he is a good asset media wise to the club however I am still a little ill at ease with the concept of ‘ how great things are at Bristol City ‘ when we haven’t, as yet , done anything concrete to show it working .

Did Sheff Utd explain how fantastic they were or did they just go about the job in hand ? 

I am desperate for LJ to get us promoted because I don’t doubt his motivation or investment in the club but I want what Elvis wanted , ‘ a little less conversation, a little more action please ‘ .

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm more baffled why certain one's don't understand it. It's very simply spoken and basic. Simple and Basic. ?

Does he need to be sat on a milk churn, chewing straw, drinking a flagon on Cider and munchin on a Clarks pie for it to be more palatable ??

Obviously stuff has gone on behind closed doors with players private lives that we don't know about, as well as the injuries etc.

Taking everything into consideration over the season that we know about, we've done ok imo...not attractive by any means, but still in with a shout.

Reading between the lines...can see a more settled side that are coached within an inch of their lives in the future. Hopefully we don't have anymore serious injuries.

Very easy answer to that.

They don't want to.

If they admit to understanding it then they lose one of their lazy criticisms of the manager.

9 minutes ago, Trueredsupporter said:

what is it a lazy criticism of lj james? he said je wante a playing identity through the club. what is it?

He talked about it in the interview. 

I'm not going to waste my time spelling it out for you when it's already been made clear.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I watched a you tube video the other day. A guy was interviewing liberal left students just after Trump's state of the nation address. 

He read them a series of statements made by the president and asked their opinions. Every one was scathing and damming as "typical Trump, racist, warmongering etc" 

The interviewer then pointed out that every statement had been made by Obama! 

I think there is an element of this with some City fans, in that they criticise a thing he says, because its him that said it. 

14 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Yep.  I have been critical of some of the press conferences but stuff like this is enlightening .  So much better than 'on our day we can beat.....' sort of stuff.  

When you listen to this you cannot but help but believe the future is bright.  Also talks about Kaisey Palmer  and this is revealing and the talent we have coming through.   is it McGregor asking the questions, seems to be two  interviewers?

Gregor for sure and Dave Barton I think.  Post-match interviews tend to have Richard Latham as the Press Agencies rep.

13 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Is anyone any wiser about what our identity is???

Yes.  Over the past few interviews Lee himself has done (Deano and Macca not so informative!) I’ve heard things that I’ve been waiting for....and I’m not talking busy bees!  See below for my thoughts. ⏬

12 hours ago, petehinton said:

Having players that are good with the ball, good without the ball, and good at winning the ball back 

???

Seriously though, that’s good to hear.  It’s something we as fans can “test” when watching City play and the players selected as well as when we recruit or sell.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

As per above over the past few interviews from Lee, I’ve started to hear things (in some cases that I thought were missing) like squeezing the pitch, which he hasn’t mentioned since 17/18.  Yesterday it was (i) Kalas and his ability to get us up the pitch followed by (ii) would love a really quick back 4 because that means higher lines.  Both of these things start to play back into an ‘identity’ of playing higher lines to mean we don’t get “strung out”, can control where (on the pitch) we play our football, etc.

What we should see is recruitment towards this.  Not just a ball playing centre-back, but one who has some pace to compliment the way he wants to play.

We can critique this, and challenge if we think he was just spouting it.  If we see a bunch of 6’5” donkeys with no pace being signed we should call him out.  If though, we start to see Taylor Moore (or someone of this type / Webster type) being integrated and the likes of Williams / Baker phased out, we should recognise this as LJ moving towards the identity he wants.

27 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He talked about it in the interview. 

I'm not going to waste my time spelling it out for you when it's already been made clear.

To summarise.

1. He feels positive.

2. Mojos .. Magical charm?

3. Elements (undefined).

4. Implement style (undefined)

5. A Lee Johnson identity (undefined) cog out of the wheel (underfined).

6. Players not taking to it (undefined) as quickly as they would like.

7. At 3.15 he is asked what his identity is and he starts to talk about a fantasy football team (Mr Johnsons words) and its mathematics and three attributes and players all being 6.2. 
  8. He then starts to waffle about the food chain.
  9. He then waffles more about overloads, space and this not necessarily not being seen with the naked eye (Mr Johnsons words) . 
  10. He then talks about having to create four of five different teams.

11. He then makes a meaningless parallel to Sheff Utd.

And that was the six minutes I listened to. Six minutes which had me  laughing loudly at his nonsense.

Bristol City have an identity you can't necessarily see with the naked eye.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As per above over the past few interviews from Lee, I’ve started to hear things (in some cases that I thought were missing) like squeezing the pitch, which he hasn’t mentioned since 17/18.  Yesterday it was (i) Kalas and his ability to get us up the pitch followed by (ii) would love a really quick back 4 because that means higher lines.  Both of these things start to play back into an ‘identity’ of playing higher lines to mean we don’t get “strung out”, can control where (on the pitch) we play our football, etc.

What we should see is recruitment towards this.  Not just a ball playing centre-back, but one who has some pace to compliment the way he wants to play.

We can critique this, and challenge if we think he was just spouting it.  If we see a bunch of 6’5” donkeys with no pace being signed we should call him out.  If though, we start to see Taylor Moore (or someone of this type / Webster type) being integrated and the likes of Williams / Baker phased out, we should recognise this as LJ moving towards the identity he wants.

Agreed, and Its apparent that Webster was a huge loss in terms of the way LJ wants the team to play.

He tried Moore in that role but he wasn't quite ready and made a few mistakes and dodgy judgement calls (as a young player its understandable). Hopefully, and after a good pre-season, he may well be ready to take the place of Webster. He's the closest we have to him.

13 hours ago, petehinton said:

Having players that are good with the ball, good without the ball, and good at winning the ball back 

???

Do bog standard championship footballers then?

It was an excellent and informative  interview and well done to GmG for asking the pertinent questions. 

LJ invariably speaks well. He’s articulate and very honest in his answers. When LJ gets on a roll I find him fascinating to listen to and I’d love to have a few pints with him just to talk football. I reckon I’d learn more in a couple hours than I've learnt about the game up to now.

I find it disappointing that so many posters criticise LJ despite him having to rebuild the team every season with the transfers in and out. I think he’s doing a decent job with one hand tied behind his back.

That said, like every other City fan I’d love to see some attractive and exciting football at AG, similar to the entertaining play we saw against Fulham.

Just have to keep to hoping I guess.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was an excellent and informative  interview and well done to GmG for asking the pertinent questions. 

LJ invariably speaks well. He’s articulate and very honest in his answers. When LJ gets on a roll I find him fascinating to listen to and I’d love to have a few pints with him just to talk football. I reckon I’d learn more in a couple hours than I've learnt about the game up to now.

I find it disappointing that so many posters criticise LJ despite him having to rebuild the team every season with the transfers in and out. I think he’s doing a decent job with one hand tied behind his back.

That said, like every other City fan I’d love to see some attractive and exciting football at AG, similar to the entertaining play we saw against Fulham.

Just have to keep to hoping I guess.

Old dog, new tricks ???

16 hours ago, Roe said:

LJ's best press conference in months imo.

Just listen from 18 mins on when he's talking about how many players we're producing now etc. Very convincing and he seems absolute in his belief of it as well.

To be honest the bar has been set pretty low!

Nothing against him and I'm not an LJ out person but god I'm sick of listening to his interviews. So I don't anymore.

2 minutes ago, supercidered said:

To be honest the bar has been set pretty low!

Nothing against him and I'm not an LJ out person but god I'm sick of listening to his interviews. So I don't anymore.

I prefer his pre-match interviews more than his post-match ones. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Gregor for sure and Dave Barton I think.  Post-match interviews tend to have Richard Latham as the Press Agencies rep.

Yes.  Over the past few interviews Lee himself has done (Deano and Macca not so informative!) I’ve heard things that I’ve been waiting for....and I’m not talking busy bees!  See below for my thoughts. ⏬

Seriously though, that’s good to hear.  It’s something we as fans can “test” when watching City play and the players selected as well as when we recruit or sell.

sorry mate but being told having players that are 'good with the ball, good without it, good at winning it back' isnt a philosophy/identity for me, that's just basic football at any level. Stuff he said about pressing/overloads was interesting but I'm not buying being 'comfortable with the ball' a philosophy from first team down to u9s 

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

sorry mate but being told having players that are 'good with the ball, good without it, good at winning it back' isnt a philosophy/identity for me, that's just basic football at any level. Stuff he said about pressing/overloads was interesting but I'm not buying being 'comfortable with the ball' a philosophy from first team down to u9s 

Yeah, I agree, just think it is a high level part of it though...and fed into what he said later.

As LJ interviews go this was a good one, very informative and illuminating. 

Lots of industries have their own internal "techie speak" and he does sometimes forget that he is talking to the average fan and not just GMcG and a camera, but if you count that as a failing of his then its one i'm happy to put up with as long as the players are understanding what he's getting at and can implement it, and if they can't then Holden & McAllister should be helping them understand. 

Archived