IGNORED

Johnson Press Conference - Identity

SuperRed

39 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Because he was pushed up to create overloads in midfield. His technical ability created more probability (maths) as more passing patterns could be played off a player with great feet. Mr Johnson may even be referencing that ability in his latest word soup

Defensively at a point in 2017 the player also helped City play higher as a unit where the ball could be kept shorter and if lost up the pitch City counter pressed quickly. 

This could have been elements of City's identity and it's clear principles progressed v cyclic change and recruitment and wasted finance/time.

Lee Johnson was talking about players who have left. The identity, an identity doesn't. 

Irony.

I haven't listened to the interview but I'm prepared to believe it's interesting and insightful.

But doesn't this highlight the fundamental issue? LJ talks a good game but his current team can't translate it into decent performances (consistently).

Until I see the football actually reflect the description, I can't buy into it.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

No need to feel embarrassed because you don’t understand Nick, you’re not alone in that,  Len is the same.

Oh you are full of shit sometimes Robbo 

I bet you had a sweat on when you were asked to interpret LJ's words....instead @Davefevs came riding to your rescue and got you out of a hole ?

4 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I haven't listened to the interview but I'm prepared to believe it's interesting and insightful.

But doesn't this highlight the fundamental issue? LJ talks a good game but his current team can't translate it into decent performances (consistently).

Until I see the football actually reflect the description, I can't buy into it.

That is the big question that remains to be answered....are we seeing on the pitch, what we hear in the interview?  Probably not, but are we moving towards it?  Let’s see!!!

I enjoyed listening to LJ .( what’s he on about sometimes)?alittle to much management speak imho 

I’m not going to overload you with the maths but 7/10 for me for this interview.

Whatever league we’re in make sure Nahki Wells plays so we can score some goals.

The thing I do get from him is that his heart is with the club big time.?

mini league coming up (9 games) .LJ seems very positive so us should be as well.

coyr

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That is the big question that remains to be answered....are we seeing on the pitch, what we hear in the interview?

We aren't.

In all honesty, I could get us promoted to the Premier League if Stephen Lansdown was allowed to throw enough money at me. If I could buy the best players, including a few who could organise the others, they would get promotion.

Okay, cheap shot but LJ has had proportionally better backing than any manager or first team coach that I can remember (in 40 years of watching BCFC). The majority of OTIB commentators believe that this squad is underperforming based on their individual potential.

Then you look at the opposition. This is the weakest and most inconsistent Championship season in recent memory. Nobody has dominated and nobody has been able to put together a decent run of form. That's the only reason we're seventh - not because we have won games with conviction and guile. We have paid our way into the top 10 teams in this division.

LJ had his three transfer windows years ago and it's my belief that the team from two and three seasons ago played consistently better football (apart from during the long winless runs). He seems unable to find a formation that he actually believes in, he is playing good footballers out of position, he now seems unable to change a game when it goes against us and players are drafted in and out like numbers being drawn at bingo.

The football at home is mostly turgid. Players appear to be paralysed by indecision. Throw-ins are an opportunity to lose possession. Bentley has been instructed that he must distribute to a terrified CB. We don't score goals from set-pieces, we don't score from counter attacks and we rarely appear to score with conviction during open play. We pass the ball slowly to players rather than at pace or into space. That's our "identity"?!!

I actually like LJ as a person apart from his capacity to publically throw blame at individual players.

If you're prepared to believe we're moving forward (as a number of people in this topic appear to be saying after this interview) then I would simply ask anyone to describe the improvement on the pitch. I just don't see it. Rolling that improvement into the future is exactly why LJ will always get a job in football...as has been said in another thread, it's always "jam tomorrow".

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Because he was pushed up to create overloads in midfield. His technical ability created more probability (maths) as more passing patterns could be played off a player with great feet. Mr Johnson may even be referencing that ability in his latest word soup. 

Defensively at a point in 2017 the player also helped City play higher as a unit where the ball could be kept shorter and if lost up the pitch City counter pressed quickly. 

This could have been elements of City's identity and it's clear principles progressed v cyclic change and recruitment and wasted finance/time.

Lee Johnson was talking about players who have left. The identity, an identity doesn't. 

Hey @Davefevs, I enjoyed your explanation of Lee's "mathematics".  Any chance you could oblige* with the above?

*I appreciate I'm asking for the moon on a stick.

38 minutes ago, Xiled said:

We aren't.

In all honesty, I could get us promoted to the Premier League if Stephen Lansdown was allowed to throw enough money at me. If I could buy the best players, including a few who could organise the others, they would get promotion.

Okay, cheap shot but LJ has had proportionally better backing than any manager or first team coach that I can remember (in 40 years of watching BCFC). The majority of OTIB commentators believe that this squad is underperforming based on their individual potential.

Then you look at the opposition. This is the weakest and most inconsistent Championship season in recent memory. Nobody has dominated and nobody has been able to put together a decent run of form. That's the only reason we're seventh - not because we have won games with conviction and guile. We have paid our way into the top 10 teams in this division.

LJ had his three transfer windows years ago and it's my belief that the team from two and three seasons ago played consistently better football (apart from during the long winless runs). He seems unable to find a formation that he actually believes in, he is playing good footballers out of position, he now seems unable to change a game when it goes against us and players are drafted in and out like numbers being drawn at bingo.

The football at home is mostly turgid. Players appear to be paralysed by indecision. Throw-ins are an opportunity to lose possession. Bentley has been instructed that he must distribute to a terrified CB. We don't score goals from set-pieces, we don't score from counter attacks and we rarely appear to score with conviction during open play. We pass the ball slowly to players rather than at pace or into space. That's our "identity"?!!

I actually like LJ as a person apart from his capacity to publically throw blame at individual players.

If you're prepared to believe we're moving forward (as a number of people in this topic appear to be saying after this interview) then I would simply ask anyone to describe the improvement on the pitch. I just don't see it. Rolling that improvement into the future is exactly why LJ will always get a job in football...as has been said in another thread, it's always "jam tomorrow".

Bad football - yes certainly not entertaining. Transfer money has been done to death two clear takes on this and not worth rehashing them, I respect your opinion here whilst it is not mine.  But in terms of weakest and most inconsistent championship I don't think thats actually true other than there haven't been teams running away with the autos which we sometimes get. You could make a case for marginally weaker but things are pretty similar to the the same point in previous seasons. Points for sixth place after 37 games for last 5 seasons starting with the current one - 56pts, 58pts, 61pts, 62pts, 59 pts,  and for 7th place same thing - 55pts, 56pts, 59pts, 61pts, 58 pts. Its a pretty normal season. I think people need to realise that actually overall results have been what you would probably expect for us - we are still right in the hunt and have a very good shot at the playoffs. The quality and entertainment value of the football has been incredibly poor and that I think clouds peoples perception of how well we have done/are doing. I for one don't want another season of this style of football and but to say it hasn't worked,  we are incompetent,  LJ doesn't have a clue, or we are lucky to be where we are is silly. 

4 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Crack on.

Joe Bryan was pushed up to create overloads. His ability being two footed and being at ease in tight spaces meant more patterns of play. City with players like Bryan could move the ball up the pitch in units. When the ball was lost they could press in that unit frequently with an overload. This was a part of City's approach for a period in 2017

Mr Johnson could have progressed the short passing with tempo and counter/high pressing as a significant part of his as still yet undefined identity.

If anyone doesn't understand 'The mathematics of creating overloads through systems and patterns of plays'  ...just copy and paste that sentence and Google it.

You will get numerous coaching and FA resources explaining what it means and why it's used. Training drills etc.

It's used in all parts of the game, and all over the pitch, both defensively and offensively. Creating space, extra players, drawing players into a part of the pitch to make space on the other side etc, etc, etc.

Can highly recommend fans read and understand coaching drills and philosophy as you'll understand interviews and see more clearly on the pitch why players are making certain moves etc. Some of it isn't clear to the eye always, unless you understand why they are making certain moves. As an example, we will often overload on one side of the pitch, and keep doing it, to draw the opposition across...with the aim of creating space on the other side of the pitch, for a long ball to be played into a wide player moving into the created space.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

If anyone doesn't understand 'The mathematics of creating overloads through systems and patterns of plays'  ...just copy and paste that sentence and Google it.

You will get numerous coaching and FA resources explaining what it means and why it's used. Training drills etc.

It's used in all parts of the game, and all over the pitch, both defensively and offensively. Creating space, extra players, drawing players into a part of the pitch to make space on the other side etc, etc, etc.

Can highly recommend fans read and understand coaching drills and philosophy as you'll understand interviews and see more clearly on the pitch why players are making certain moves etc. Some of it isn't clear to the eye always, unless you understand why they are making certain moves. As an example, we will often overload on one side of the pitch, and keep doing it, to draw the opposition across...with the aim of creating space on the other side of the pitch, for a long ball to be played into a wide player moving into the created space.

I did google.

From finding a few sets of coaching drills (very small sample), the thing that really stood out was that each of them started with a  one man advantage, e.g. the overload is already in place (artificial)....rather than creating it. ???

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I did google.

From finding a few sets of coaching drills (very small sample), the thing that really stood out was that each of them started with a  one man advantage, e.g. the overload is already in place (artificial)....rather than creating it. ???

Most shown are for basic coaching. In a professional situation like ours training would be done showing how to create the overload and contain and defend the shape and space left behind so that it's not exploited on the counter.

Lots of simple explanation for fans on here...for anyone interested.

https://elitesoccercoaching.net/tactic/overloads/

2 hours ago, Leaning To One Side said:

Oh you are full of shit sometimes Robbo 

I bet you had a sweat on when you were asked to interpret LJ's words....instead @Davefevs came riding to your rescue and got you out of a hole ?

Dave is more articulate on football matters than me and and so is Spudski and Cowshed so I’m more than happy for Dave to explain what Len and Nick could not understand. I can’t see the problem.............:dunno:

20 hours ago, Shtanley said:

If the club do that. Then that'll be grand.

Why aren't they doing it already? Who thought it would be a good plan to block the pathway with players like Rodri, Marinovic, Williams, Henriksen, Watkins, Adelakun, Eisa, and others.

He explained it in the interview, Henriksen for example because we didn't have another CM who matched the physical profile of what we were looking for, its not as simple as saying why didn't we bring Morrell/Walsh back, because they didn't match that. Williams was signed after the window closed, Kalas was injured and we needed another CB, of the CB's we had who weren't on loan none would have matched up to a Welsh international regardless of him being older (and he has put in a good few key performances). Rodri - said he wanted 4 strikers, again out of window couldn't call others back if he wanted and those left at the club not ready etc etc

If we operated how some academies do such as Swansea or Aston Villa and keep their best U23's players (bar one or two) in house to play as a 23's team then many more probably would get game time for us, but you have to balance how much they lose by not playing week in week out, only need to look at Walsh and Morrell to see how beneficial it is. 

Also are people really getting wounded up by the saying Lee Johnson identity cog? Wow.... all it means is that Josh was a perfect example of the type of player who'd fit in as a player in the identity he wants to play

58 minutes ago, spudski said:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEU_enGB819GB819&q=The+"mathematics"+of+creating+overloads+through+systems+and+patterns+of+plays&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTm5TrzpXoAhVRPcAKHQCPA8UQ5t4CMAJ6BAgCEAg

10 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Not sure if you're trying to be clever here or just didn't realise,  but if you put something in speech marks in google search (like you did with "Mathematics") you are making it the keyword of your search hence the results you have. Take away the speech marks and you will see what @spudski  was saying.

35 minutes ago, hodge said:

He explained it in the interview, Henriksen for example because we didn't have another CM who matched the physical profile of what we were looking for, its not as simple as saying why didn't we bring Morrell/Walsh back, because they didn't match that. Williams was signed after the window closed, Kalas was injured and we needed another CB, of the CB's we had who weren't on loan none would have matched up to a Welsh international regardless of him being older (and he has put in a good few key performances). Rodri - said he wanted 4 strikers, again out of window couldn't call others back if he wanted and those left at the club not ready etc etc

If we operated how some academies do such as Swansea or Aston Villa and keep their best U23's players (bar one or two) in house to play as a 23's team then many more probably would get game time for us, but you have to balance how much they lose by not playing week in week out, only need to look at Walsh and Morrell to see how beneficial it is. 

Ah yes the infamous “I need four strikers” excuse for bailing on Semenyo. How many strikers do we currently have again? 

I like the way we loan out our academy players, think it makes sense. I just feel we’ve got too many squad players which aren’t necessary to have around. Can’t see academy players getting game time unless we adjust our pathway plans  

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

When I listen to Lee talking about football, I'm often reminded of Frank Zappa dancing about architecture. 

My favourite Zappa quote was about music journalism

"People who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read"

Not quite sure how that applies to a LJ press conference :)

Archived