IGNORED

Johnson Press Conference - Identity

SuperRed

9 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Ah yes the infamous “I need four strikers” excuse for bailing on Semenyo. How many strikers do we currently have again? 

I like the way we loan out our academy players, think it makes sense. I just feel we’ve got too many squad players which aren’t necessary to have around. Can’t see academy players getting game time unless we adjust our pathway plans  

You’re constant that you want more academy players in the side and I’m not LJ’s biggest fan so I don’t have a reason to defend him. However , the players have to be good enough . I don’t see anyone from the academy that would benefit more by being on our bench than out on loan . 

11 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Ah yes the infamous “I need four strikers” excuse for bailing on Semenyo. How many strikers do we currently have again? 

Don't get the Semenyo obsession.  He has shown absolutely nothing for us or Sunderland it would seem .

1 hour ago, spudski said:

If anyone doesn't understand 'The mathematics of creating overloads through systems and patterns of plays'  ...just copy and paste that sentence and Google it.

You will get numerous coaching and FA resources explaining what it means and why it's used. Training drills etc.

It's used in all parts of the game, and all over the pitch, both defensively and offensively. Creating space, extra players, drawing players into a part of the pitch to make space on the other side etc, etc, etc.

Can highly recommend fans read and understand coaching drills and philosophy as you'll understand interviews and see more clearly on the pitch why players are making certain moves etc. Some of it isn't clear to the eye always, unless you understand why they are making certain moves. As an example, we will often overload on one side of the pitch, and keep doing it, to draw the opposition across...with the aim of creating space on the other side of the pitch, for a long ball to be played into a wide player moving into the created space.

Yeah, but it still comes over as pretentious bullshit however you dress it up. 

35 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Not sure if you're trying to be clever here or just didn't realise,  but if you put something in speech marks in google search (like you did with "Mathematics") you are making it the keyword of your search hence the results you have. Take away the speech marks and you will see what @spudski  was saying.

I think the point is that’s it getting silly if we have to google seemingly nonsensical phrases to work out what the manager is saying. 

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Yeah, but it still comes over a pretentious bullshit however you dress it up. 

But this is the language and wording used in the football and coaching industry.

It's obvious LJ is totally immersed in football and lives it 24/7.

It's no different if he was in the Engineering or Chemist industry.

It's not his fault fans can't be arsed to just do a bit of study in understanding modern football terminology.

Fans want exquisite football but presented in a Macdonald's wrapper it seems.

It's just plain lazy imo.

People are happy to take the piss because they either don't understand it or feel inferior by default.

How can certain fans comment on transitions of play if they don't understand the basics of modern football.

It's like me going to the ballet and commenting on the nuances without having no knowledge whatsoever...which I haven't. So I'd go watch...then to appreciate it fully, do a bit of research.

Unfortunately many comments are based on watching football over the years and comparing it to years gone by imo

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I think the point is that’s it getting silly if we have to google seemingly nonsensical phrases to work out what the manager is saying. 

With respect...if I started using terminology used in coaching other sports, the man on the street wouldn't understand it fully, unless they'd fully commited to following and understanding the modern methods.

Stand still...and you get left behind.

30 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Don't get the Semenyo obsession.  He has shown absolutely nothing for us or Sunderland it would seem .

Didn’t threaten the opposition goal for us at all I’ll admit. We only lost 1 league game when he played though and that was Sheff Wed away when he played a minute. Didn’t deserve to be shafted for Rodri imo. 

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Didn’t threaten the opposition goal for us at all I’ll admit. We only lost 1 league game when he played though and that was Sheff Wed away when he played a minute. Didn’t deserve to be shafted for Rodri imo. 

I'd say our biggest mistake was not accepting Chelsea's offer .

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

But this is the language and wording used in the football and coaching industry.

It's not his fault fans can't be arsed to just do a bit of study in understanding modern football terminology.

People are happy to take the piss because they either don't understand it or feel inferior by default.

How can certain fans comment on transitions of play if they don't understand the basics of modern football.

It's like me going to the ballet and commenting on the nuances without having no knowledge whatsoever...which I haven't. So I'd go watch...then to appreciate it fully, do a bit of research.

Unfortunately many comments are based on watching football over the years and comparing it to years gone by imo

With respect...if I started using terminology used in coaching other sports, the man on the street wouldn't understand it fully, unless they'd fully commited to following and understanding the modern methods.

And also with respect...... it’s the manager who is being lazy if he can’t be bothered to articulate his thoughts in language which the vast majority of supporters - the people that pay his wages - understand.

33 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You’re constant that you want more academy players in the side and I’m not LJ’s biggest fan so I don’t have a reason to defend him. However , the players have to be good enough . I don’t see anyone from the academy that would benefit more by being on our bench than out on loan . 

It’s the fringe spots, the overcompensation for injuries. Just feel our squad is too bloated and there should be the occasional scope for a promising youngster to get bench time if needed

2 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I'd say our biggest mistake was not accepting Chelsea's offer .

We shall see. 

10 minutes ago, NickJ said:

And also with respect...... it’s the manager who is being lazy if he can’t be bothered to articulate his thoughts in language which the vast majority of supporters - the people that pay his wages - understand.

I agree with this response, he’s being interviewed by a football journalist for onward messaging to Joe Public.  On the flip side might not be easy to break it down to simple lingo without coming across as patronising.

14 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Perhaps it's not that simple. Read the link I posted and terminology.

Read the FA's guide for such, at ground level entry coaching. For people like you and me if we choose to go into coaching...basically for the common man.

Some comments on certain posts and the lack of basic understanding make us sound like a right bunch of carrot crunchers ?

10 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Exactly. I understand completely when I listen to Guardiola, to Klopp, Wilder, Pearson, Lampard, Arteta, Mourinho Etc etc etc. They speak plainly and clearly in a language that we can all understand. It’s not a case of us not being able to comprehend what he’s saying, it’s a case of being clear and concise so there is no doubt or confusion. There is no need to speak his constant ‘footballese’. He does that to try and impress imho but it just has the opposite effect after a while.
I get and accept completely that he’s very knowledgable about his craft, that he puts the work in. That he’s passionate. That he studies the game to the ‘nth degree. That’s not in doubt and good for him.   But the best leaders in football and in industry talk in terms that are easy to understand and to follow, with a very clear vision on how to progress and succeed and LJ is so far away from this it’s untrue. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

He explained it in the interview, Henriksen for example because we didn't have another CM who matched the physical profile of what we were looking for, its not as simple as saying why didn't we bring Morrell/Walsh back, because they didn't match that. Williams was signed after the window closed, Kalas was injured and we needed another CB, of the CB's we had who weren't on loan none would have matched up to a Welsh international regardless of him being older (and he has put in a good few key performances). Rodri - said he wanted 4 strikers, again out of window couldn't call others back if he wanted and those left at the club not ready etc etc

If we operated how some academies do such as Swansea or Aston Villa and keep their best U23's players (bar one or two) in house to play as a 23's team then many more probably would get game time for us, but you have to balance how much they lose by not playing week in week out, only need to look at Walsh and Morrell to see how beneficial it is. 

Yeah I can't see what the problem is. If anything not loaning Semenyo this season, and Walsh last season were mistakes.

We should probably be loaning out as many as we can. If they're in the squad they have to be good enough to get in the team. If they're not like Semenyo then they don't play much and their development suffers.

LJ has shown he will play young players. He has given regular game time to the very best who he felt were ready.

Next season I expect Morrell and O'Leary to be involved. And possibly Vyner too.

And then non academy players that we bought for the future. Moore and Walsh I expect to be involved next season.

Quite possibly Semenyo will be loaned to league one again. And all the league two loans move up a division to league one clubs.

This all takes time. Let's have a little patience. I believe it's working and is just too early to see the results.

Of course we can find mistakes, but to say there is no pathway is surely not true. Surely we can't expect a manager to play a young academy player who is not yet ready.

On Semenyo, my gas mate says he looks real quality. No one needs games more than him to fulfill that obvious potential. Loaning out gives these players those games.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

If anyone doesn't understand 'The mathematics of creating overloads through systems and patterns of plays'  ...just copy and paste that sentence and Google it.

I googled it but just got this.....

1893986658_dianneabbott.jpg.eacf805420ef3352309acc20c54100c2.jpg

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

I wouldn’t mind Johnson using the terminology he does if it reflected reality. That said, you don’t hear many, if any, top managers using the kind of language Johnson does. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s actually a bit of a laughing stock amongst other managers. He’s so desperate to be seen as this young, innovative, successful coach that he overcompensates and goes in to Brent mode. Even his own assistants have distanced themselves from some of the phrases he uses in recent weeks. 

16 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

I wouldn’t mind Johnson using the terminology he does if it reflected reality. That said, you don’t hear many, if any, top managers using the kind of language Johnson does. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s actually a bit of a laughing stock amongst other managers. He’s so desperate to be seen as this young, innovative, successful coach that he overcompensates and goes in to Brent mode. Even his own assistants have distanced themselves from some of the phrases he uses in recent weeks. 

Footballers are generally working class lads like most fans...they understand...?

6 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Spudski "read the FA's guide for such, at ground level entry coaching. For people like you and me if we choose to go into coaching". What guide is this? Done levels 1 & 2 and its not part of the work books!

From FA...

http://www.thefa.com/learning/coaching/what-is-numerical-superiority

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

I suspect LJ doesn't really understand it himself hence the shit football being served up week after week for the past few years at home...

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That is the big question that remains to be answered....are we seeing on the pitch, what we hear in the interview?  Probably not, but are we moving towards it?  Let’s see!!!

Dave he says in the interview that kasey is training well and knocking on the door for some action lets hope hes buried the hatchet with half the squad an its onwards an upwards.

4 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Thanks for the link Spudski. It made sense and was in plain English. That's is not LJ and his riddles. If I used 'The mathematics of creating overloads through systems and patterns of plays' to the lads I coached they would think I was a fkn idiot.

No worries...makes sense to me though. I suspect one sentence has been taken out of context and when added to an overall description would make sense.

16 minutes ago, gamon said:

I suspect LJ doesn't really understand it himself hence the shit football being served up week after week for the past few years at home...

It’s a Johnson family trait Gamon. It was exactly the same under his father - it only changed in the play off semis against Palace. Two terrific games they were.

Spudski I find LJ constantly difficult to understand in his interviews. Somebody somewhere should be waving the how we coach and its learning style module from the FA and saying Lee there are people out there who dont understand what you are on about you sound like David Brent mate wind it in.

All this reminds me of a few weeks back on Talksport, and Big Sam, on the morning breakfast show said "What is a false nine seriously? Eh, give over"

I got the feeling he thought a lot of today's football speak is getting a bit silly, and might say to LJ and the likes, just show us your medals and then do the talking.

I wonder if  Mr. Warnock talks about his team's first 100 "actions" in the match.

Get it in the bloody box ffs innit, me.

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

It’s the fringe spots, the overcompensation for injuries. Just feel our squad is too bloated and there should be the occasional scope for a promising youngster to get bench time if needed

LIke what they said when signing lots of players for the under 23s a couple of season ago. Which has not happened.

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

4 - Wells, Diédhiou, Weimann, Afobe 

What was Antoine's goal or even shot on target return again? Not saying I wasn't happy for Antoine to be part of the squad, but it did clearly seem it was limiting his development being stuck on our bench or out the squad after jojo returned because we had better available, better for him to be getting regular game time than that, shame we didn't know Sunderland's true intentions 

18 minutes ago, hodge said:

4 - Wells, Diédhiou, Weimann, Afobe 

What was Antoine's goal or even shot on target return again? Not saying I wasn't happy for Antoine to be part of the squad, but it did clearly seem it was limiting his development being stuck on our bench or out the squad after jojo returned because we had better available, better for him to be getting regular game time than that, shame we didn't know Sunderland's true intentions 

So we had four already when LJ said he needed a fourth in Rodri then!!

If LJ had come out and said "I'm not playing Semenyo cause I don't think he's good enough, I'm gonna take a punt on a free agent instead" then I'd understand. 

but to come up with nonsense excuses like he has done in the past when it comes to over-looking academy players it grinds my gears.

Also annoys a few inside the academy...

Antoine was playing a fair amount and started in games away to Preston and Brentford, we were in the playoffs and doing okay. He granted wasn't performing as well as everyone had hoped.

After the Barnsley (a) game he was completely left out in the cold. 

Fingers crossed he can have a good season next year with us or somewhere else on loan.

8 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

So we had four already when LJ said he needed a fourth in Rodri then!!

If LJ had come out and said "I'm not playing Semenyo cause I don't think he's good enough, I'm gonna take a punt on a free agent instead" then I'd understand. 

but to come up with nonsense excuses like he has done in the past when it comes to over-looking academy players it grinds my gears.

Also annoys a few inside the academy...

Antoine was playing a fair amount and started in games away to Preston and Brentford, we were in the playoffs and doing okay. He granted wasn't performing as well as everyone had hoped.

After the Barnsley (a) game he was completely left out in the cold. 

Fingers crossed he can have a good season next year with us or somewhere else on loan.

The issue becomes what is better for Antoine, sat on our bench for 5 months or getting what we hoped would be regular football, especially after Wells came in he wouldn't have been looking at a lot of game time for us.

Pre-January he'd been given game time and wasn't working for him so being in a play off battle needed another option, Rodri and Antoine were different types of players so its not like he brought someone in with the same characteristics as Antoine.

Antoine wouldn't have been going anywhere had we not brought Wells in though because LJ would have wanted him for cover after Rodri left, which in itself says that LJ does rate Antoine

3 hours ago, lenred said:

Exactly. I understand completely when I listen to Guardiola, to Klopp, Wilder, Pearson, Lampard, Arteta, Mourinho Etc etc etc. They speak plainly and clearly in a language that we can all understand. It’s not a case of us not being able to comprehend what he’s saying, it’s a case of being clear and concise so there is no doubt or confusion. There is no need to speak his constant ‘footballese’. He does that to try and impress imho but it just has the opposite effect after a while.
I get and accept completely that he’s very knowledgable about his craft, that he puts the work in. That he’s passionate. That he studies the game to the ‘nth degree. That’s not in doubt and good for him.   But the best leaders in football and in industry talk in terms that are easy to understand and to follow, with a very clear vision on how to progress and succeed and LJ is so far away from this it’s untrue. 

Yes, except that despite the apparent knowledge, I'm not sure if LJ is a good coach or not. He knows all the buzz words, he's swallowed the manuals like a school kid swatting for their GCSE's, but that doesn't necessarily make him a good coach. I wouldn't know.

But so far as leadership is concerned, I think I do, and I agree with you. Leaders take people with them, with an innate skill which is undefinable. As is clear from this forum, he doesn't do that.

Archived