IGNORED

Johnson Press Conference - Identity

SuperRed

6 hours ago, The Bard said:

Sorry but he keeps going on about Brownhill which is appalling if you are a current player trying to make your mark,  He's looking back when he should be looking forward.

LJ is saying how difficult it is to replace Brownhill - why is that ‘appalling?’

7 hours ago, The Bard said:

Sorry but he keeps going on about Brownhill which is appalling if you are a current player trying to make your mark,  He's looking back when he should be looking forward.

Well he’s not is he. He’s using him as a example of buying young , coaching and turning him into a prem player. He also mentions bobby , joe and pack. Listen to the interview and not what you want to hear. 

8 hours ago, Shtanley said:

So we had four already when LJ said he needed a fourth in Rodri then!!

If LJ had come out and said "I'm not playing Semenyo cause I don't think he's good enough, I'm gonna take a punt on a free agent instead" then I'd understand. 

but to come up with nonsense excuses like he has done in the past when it comes to over-looking academy players it grinds my gears.

Also annoys a few inside the academy...

Antoine was playing a fair amount and started in games away to Preston and Brentford, we were in the playoffs and doing okay. He granted wasn't performing as well as everyone had hoped.

After the Barnsley (a) game he was completely left out in the cold. 

Fingers crossed he can have a good season next year with us or somewhere else on loan.

Would this be a bad time to mention that there's a rumour on the Transfer Forum that City are interested in an 18 year old forward from France ? 

I get your frustration, but at least the lad is now getting minutes at the top end of League 1 which is going to be valuable experience. He should come back a better player if he gets more games with Sunderland. 

I cant defend the Rodri situation though!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

LJ is saying how difficult it is to replace Brownhill - why is that ‘appalling?’

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Well he’s not is he. He’s using him as a example of buying young , coaching and turning him into a prem player. He also mentions bobby , joe and pack. Listen to the interview and not what you want to hear. 

In the interview Mr Johnson is using players who have left as benchmarks. The clear implication is the players he has are not good enough. Its a poor message to send out to players.

Away from the player psychology there are also questions of why he recruits players and is developing players who do not have the skills to carry out the tasks he wants. The answer can be there is no playing model  (identity question) being worked towards and being worked from. The football approach is short term and made up reactively, unlike the Coaches Mr Johnson quotes who work from a model and put the playing keystones in place to progress them.

18 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

there are also questions of why he recruits players and is developing players who do not have the skills to carry out the tasks he wants.

The answer is that it would be too expensive to buy a player for every position who checked every box for the characteristics of a position and he uses Jay Dasilva as an example, great technically etc but is short so doesn't match every characteristic but we're willing to sacrafice the one because of the skills he has. Where its not height missing then it's up to LJ and his team to coach or s&c etc to get them to the right level 

16 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

In the interview Mr Johnson is using players who have left as benchmarks. The clear implication is the players he has are not good enough. Its a poor message to send out to players.

Away from the player psychology there are also questions of why he recruits players and is developing players who do not have the skills to carry out the tasks he wants. The answer can be there is no playing model  (identity question) being worked towards and being worked from. The football approach is short term and made up reactively, unlike the Coaches Mr Johnson quotes who work from a model and put the playing keystones in place to progress them.

I certainly don’t accept your first point. To me he’s using Brownhill as a example of how JBs development at City turned him into a PL player.  It’s a if he can do, then so can you’ motivation statement.

As for your second point - when any young player joins City (Eisa, Semenyo, Walsh et el) nobody can predict whether or not they’ll develop adequately to reach Championship quality. The first two I mentioned did not but it looks as if Walsh will after his loan experience at Coventry.

Your comment about ‘model and keystone’ is not something LJ would agree with. He says that from youngsters thru the academy are learning to play the Bristol City way. However what the ‘way’ (identity) is not something that LJ himself can explain.

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

AsThe answer is that it would be too expensive to buy a player for every position who checked every box for the characteristics of a position and he uses Jay Dasilva as an example, great technically etc but is short so doesn't match every characteristic but we're willing to sacrafice the one because of the skills he has. Where its not height missing then it's up to LJ and his team to coach or s&c etc to get them to the right level 

Yes there will be compromise. But if Mr Johnson's football required 6.2 lumps that is what it requires. He has had four years to put that  height principle into place.

The interview displayed indecision and excuse. A football identity contains the has. The team has to contain these elements. It has to have these principles and compromise can be made but these team will display and has to display the values of its coach/manager.

Again here we have a thread where fans cannot identify his identity or what he truly values and will not compromise.

Archived