IGNORED

Floods

Simon bristol

In the ‘60’s (1968?) East St was really badly hit by flooding with loads of fags from Wills being deemed to risky to sell. So the fags were thrown away at the tip (now Imperial Park retail outlet) where lots of people found, sorted the best ones out and sold them!

I don’t recall Ashton Gate itself getting flooded but I think Duckmoor Road and Luckwell Road may have done?

Lots of flooding also occurred around the Malago in the area at the junction of St John’s Lane and Sheen Road. 

38 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

In the ‘60’s (1968?) East St was really badly hit by flooding with loads of fags from Wills being deemed to risky to sell. So the fags were thrown away at the tip (now Imperial Park retail outlet) where lots of people found, sorted the best ones out and sold them!

I don’t recall Ashton Gate itself getting flooded but I think Duckmoor Road and Luckwell Road may have done?

Lots of flooding also occurred around the Malago in the area at the junction of St John’s Lane and Sheen Road. 

Nothing worse than a soggy woodbine

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Nice one! That pic is scary,, i would have thought what’s happening now is a lot of rainfall and high tides?

Dont panic … you've never seen rain any thing like as bad as we had leading up to those '68 floods... it was biblical.

Absolutely freakish, crazy weather - swiftly followed a day or so later by beautiful sunny days... Our street in Cadbury Heath was covered with peoples carpets drying out in the sun..  & we were the lucky ones.

Google it, you'll find some unbelievable photos... Road bridges swept away, houses flooded up to the upstairs bedroom windows etc etc..  It must've been horrendous for the adults, for us kids though it was quite exciting tbh..  

• Admin
5 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Nice one! That pic is scary,, i would have thought what’s happening now is a lot of rainfall and high tides?

This flooding at the moment is the annual spring high tide, but this year it times with a specific moon cycle that also increases water levels 

Just one of those blips in nature where everything slots in at the same time 

A large flood relief drain was installed, or more accurately, dug underground, that takes flood water to Avonmouth. Within a few years after.

I worked in West Street, Bemmy then and left work around 7pm when it showed signs of East Street flooding.

City lost all their records, memorabilia etc in the flood. 

23 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Ashton Gate was flooded in 1968, as was a lot of south Bristol, but that was due to exceptional rainfall, not a high tide 

7DDDAC5C-09D0-4BDD-8907-8A91FFFE5A06.jpeg

In 1968 there were floods across the region. I was 10 going on 11 and growing up in Melksham where the town was flooded. An Army Duck was deployed to get you from one end of town to the other which was quite an exciting ride fior a 10 year old. 

On 12/03/2020 at 22:19, Red DNA said:

They were sold as 'Lawrence Weston Tipped'

On 13/03/2020 at 01:49, RedLionLad said:

The floods of 1968 were quite bad all around Bedminster and Ashton. Marksbury Road and Somermead were particularly badly affected.

C4221BBF-1CE0-4489-95E2-3675D60B0134.png

13B7DD44-E12B-44EE-9991-C1388F510004.png

16A5108E-5FEF-4D85-80DB-7A0FD1959DBC.png

3724CBA7-125F-4CA5-91CE-A44A3906C981.png

D2A58AA6-731C-43F2-8384-E08241C32CD6.png

0A61E4C9-A720-4EBD-92B1-065BE58F4E2F.png

E87A0D78-0E2F-4AE4-BDC4-F2CFA3E0FA84.png

The wisdom of old great-grandmother Robbo who (apparently) said in about 1920. "They'll never build on the ducky moor. 'Twill flood!" was proved correct.

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A large flood relief drain was installed, or more accurately, dug underground, that takes flood water to Avonmouth. Within a few years after.

I worked in West Street, Bemmy then and left work around 7pm when it showed signs of East Street flooding.

City lost all their records, memorabilia etc in the flood. 

The pitch was regularly flooded and the Sunday market cancelled. Remember the tunnel being built and the Irish tunnellers drinking Ashton Gate dry at the weekends.

The floods of 68 were caused by what was described as a cloudburst, an exceptionally high tide and allegedly someone opening or not opening some sluice gates.

Many houses near East Street had semi basements and my Nan had nearly 7 feet of water through her living room, kitchen and bathroom. Luckily in those days, insurance companies used to pay claims though.

Archived