IGNORED

Postponement positives

mozo

There's a chance this delay in the season could work in our favour...

Obviously we've all cottoned on to the [hashtag] Benik Boost. With Afobe and Wells up front for 9 games, our threat in attack is very different. 

Not only that, but they now have time to learn each other's games on the training ground, which brings me to points two and three...

Johnson has had to to constantly shuffle his pack due to a variety of absences. But now the team has time to rest their niggles and train to suit their current state of fitness.

The upshot of upheaval has been his philosophy (I won't use the 'I' word!), hasn't always been in play. Now, though, Johnson has time to not only bring newer players up to speed, but to remind the whole group of how he wants them to play.

This could benefit Henriksen no end, for example. 

Coming back in April, with two goalscorers, a fully fit squad and a sense of direction could really benefit us for the run in.

Our form has been poor and we looked a bit lost, so a prolonged break could do us more good than many of our rivals.

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

There's a chance this delay in the season could work in our favour...

Obviously we've all cottoned on to the [hashtag] Benik Boost. With Afobe and Wells up front for 9 games, our threat in attack is very different. 

Not only that, but they now have time to learn each other's games on the training ground, which brings me to points two and three...

Johnson has had to to constantly shuffle his pack due to a variety of absences. But now the team has time to rest their niggles and train to suit their current state of fitness.

The upshot of upheaval has been his philosophy (I won't use the 'I' word!), hasn't always been in play. Now, though, Johnson has time to not only bring newer players up to speed, but to remind the whole group of how he wants them to play.

This could benefit Henriksen no end, for example. 

Coming back in April, with two goalscorers, a fully fit squad and a sense of direction could really benefit us for the run in.

Our form has been poor and we looked a bit lost, so a prolonged break could do us more good than many of our rivals.

I'd forget about a return in April. According to the BBC, we could be looking at 12-14 weeks before a resumption.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/51867944

11:55

'Sirens won't stop in April'

70fd6542-dabc-4e01-b1b7-4c0b6cd085c0.jpg

Henry Winter

Chief Football Writer for the Times on BBC Radio 5 Live

There are some clubs that will have serious problems. This idea that on 3 April the sirens stop and we go back and play football again is just naive.

What the medical advisers are saying is this is a long period - possibly 12-14 weeks. The date of 3 April has just been come up with and then they will think again.

I wouldn't be surprised if English football is playing in June. Obviously the Euros would have to be put back a year, then it's just a question of the sporting integrity of football as to when league programmes are finished.

Take for example West Bromwich Albion. They are fighting to get back in the Premier League. If West Brom go up, that's worth a minimum of £20m in television money alone.

The Premier League and EFL need to show leadership - which they should've done earlier in the week - to go through and work out how they can reach a conclusion to the season, but the obvious casualty of that is Euro 2020.

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Chivs said:

"The end of the season"*

*OK, I made that up but that's what Ashton should be telling Stoke...

It was originally defined as "June" the date won't be a problem it will be extended to the end of the season under the current circumstances 

Here's one.

We can finally, finally take stock with sufficient time and energy and try to see what we are doing wrong to get so many rolling and persistent injuries...and have since fairly early in 2017/18- and try to modify training, conditioning etc approaches accordingly.

That more than the return of any player, or recovery from injury, might be a real future boost.

6 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I'd forget about a return in April. According to the BBC, we could be looking at 12-14 weeks before a resumption.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/51867944

11:55

'Sirens won't stop in April'

70fd6542-dabc-4e01-b1b7-4c0b6cd085c0.jpg

Henry Winter

Chief Football Writer for the Times on BBC Radio 5 Live

There are some clubs that will have serious problems. This idea that on 3 April the sirens stop and we go back and play football again is just naive.

What the medical advisers are saying is this is a long period - possibly 12-14 weeks. The date of 3 April has just been come up with and then they will think again.

I wouldn't be surprised if English football is playing in June. Obviously the Euros would have to be put back a year, then it's just a question of the sporting integrity of football as to when league programmes are finished.

Take for example West Bromwich Albion. They are fighting to get back in the Premier League. If West Brom go up, that's worth a minimum of £20m in television money alone.

The Premier League and EFL need to show leadership - which they should've done earlier in the week - to go through and work out how they can reach a conclusion to the season, but the obvious casualty of that is Euro 2020.

Yeah and we will see when it happens. I guess May would be better from an Afobe perspective, as well as getting Henriksen, Benkovic and Wells up to speed, not to mention further work with Nagy and Massengo. 

It gets interesting with out of contract player if delayed any further...

• Admin
4 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

assuming the squad's health goes against all the rest of the indicators and all dont contract the virus!

That's why people will now go into self isolation 

Even if they do catch the virus they're not in a group that will have any long term problems 

5 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

assuming the squad's health goes against all the rest of the indicators and all dont contract the virus!

Well, assuming the league doesn't commence until all players are deemed free of the virus

1 minute ago, phantom said:

That's why people will now go into self isolation 

Even if they do catch the virus they're not in a group that will have any long term problems

And not train then,  and I appreciate they're in a not at risk group, but it'll still make you feel shit when you catch it

• Admin
5 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

And not train then,  and I appreciate they're in a not at risk group, but it'll still make you feel shit when you catch it

Self isolation is 7 days

They can commence training then, up to then they'll all have individual training routines 

Fully expect fixtures to start again then, whether crowds are there will be the big factor 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Self isolation is 7 days

They can commence training then, up to then they'll all have individual training routines 

Fully expect fixtures to start again then, whether crowds are there will be the big factor 

Yeah I don't see why they can't commence BCD games at beginning of April

A lot of people assuming we can just pick up the season in a month and finish it off like it never happened. Few things wrong with that thinking.

Firstly, I believe there is almost no chance football just starts again on that day in April. Best case is cases are dying down so they wait another couple of weeks. 

Second, even a month back will have serious logistical issues. Season due to end May 3rd. So now looking at early June at minimum. The transfer window will be open by then and many teams won’t know their competitions for the next season. 

Third, the Euros isn’t just easily pushed back a year. Fifa have a new competition due to start summer of 2021. A 2021 euros interferes massively with that. 

Fourth, if pushed back much further, player contracts come into play. Most expiring deals will end last day of June. Will all regular season and playoff fixtures be over by then? 

Fifth, what about any plans stadiums have over the summer. I am sure Ashton Gate has a few concerts scheduled. Will we be able to play our home games around these? Will Wembley be available for playoff finals? Will playoff venues be available? 

These are just a few issue off the top of my head. I just can’t see a way the season comes to a normal conclusion. I also do not know about legal ramifications of ending as is or anything like that. The situation is unprecedented and it will involve a lot of decisions that a lot of people will not like. 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Self isolation is 7 days

Self isolation is to stop infected people passing it on,  not to stop people catching it. 

I would be amazed if the players are any different than the rest of the population and that by the end of this outbreak at least 25% of them have had this.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Got tickets for the Killers 9th June at AG.

Wonder how that will fit in with the football - or it could be cancelled anyway I suppose ?

A double header after beating Cardiff would be alright!

• Admin
7 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

Self isolation is to stop infected people passing it on,  not to stop people catching it. 

I would be amazed if the players are any different than the rest of the population and that by the end of this outbreak at least 25% of them have had this.

If nobody they come into contact with has it, where will they catch it?

Fully expect tests will be done to find if anyone is affected if not with sensible controls they could be training by next weekend 

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

A lot of people assuming we can just pick up the season in a month and finish it off like it never happened. Few things wrong with that thinking.

Firstly, I believe there is almost no chance football just starts again on that day in April. Best case is cases are dying down so they wait another couple of weeks. 

Second, even a month back will have serious logistical issues. Season due to end May 3rd. So now looking at early June at minimum. The transfer window will be open by then and many teams won’t know their competitions for the next season. 

Third, the Euros isn’t just easily pushed back a year. Fifa have a new competition due to start summer of 2021. A 2021 euros interferes massively with that. 

Fourth, if pushed back much further, player contracts come into play. Most expiring deals will end last day of June. Will all regular season and playoff fixtures be over by then? 

Fifth, what about any plans stadiums have over the summer. I am sure Ashton Gate has a few concerts scheduled. Will we be able to play our home games around these? Will Wembley be available for playoff finals? Will playoff venues be available? 

These are just a few issue off the top of my head. I just can’t see a way the season comes to a normal conclusion. I also do not know about legal ramifications of ending as is or anything like that. The situation is unprecedented and it will involve a lot of decisions that a lot of people will not like. 

Sixth - what about match fitness as I'm assumiñg teams won't be able to play any friendlies behind closed doors 

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

If nobody they come into contact with has it, where will they catch it?

Fully expect tests will be done to find if anyone is affected if not with sensible controls they could be training by next weekend 

Yeah, I know what you mean. But if it were that easy the whole country should self isolate for a week and then we'd be fine. :)  Doesn't work like that unfortunately

Archived