IGNORED

Postponement positives

mozo

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Got tickets for the Killers 9th June at AG.

Wonder how that will fit in with the football - or it could be cancelled anyway I suppose ?

Pre match entertainment in the fan village on matchday?

7 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Sixth - what about match fitness as I'm assumiñg teams won't be able to play any friendlies behind closed doors 

Our Lee is  pleased that this can be added to the Series of ‘This seasons Problems’ Books

How Coronavirus and lack of match sharpness prevented us getting automatic promotion ‘

1 hour ago, mozo said:

There's a chance this delay in the season could work in our favour...

Obviously we've all cottoned on to the [hashtag] Benik Boost. With Afobe and Wells up front for 9 games, our threat in attack is very different. 

Not only that, but they now have time to learn each other's games on the training ground, which brings me to points two and three...

Johnson has had to to constantly shuffle his pack due to a variety of absences. But now the team has time to rest their niggles and train to suit their current state of fitness.

The upshot of upheaval has been his philosophy (I won't use the 'I' word!), hasn't always been in play. Now, though, Johnson has time to not only bring newer players up to speed, but to remind the whole group of how he wants them to play.

This could benefit Henriksen no end, for example. 

Coming back in April, with two goalscorers, a fully fit squad and a sense of direction could really benefit us for the run in.

Our form has been poor and we looked a bit lost, so a prolonged break could do us more good than many of our rivals.

Welcome to the Premier League! 

• Admin
9 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. But if it were that easy the whole country should self isolate for a week and then we'd be fine. :)  Doesn't work like that unfortunately

True, this is why I'm convinced the season will start initially behind closed doors before new cases start dropping 

Over in China new cases are dropping daily 

26 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Our Lee is  pleased that this can be added to the Series of ‘This seasons Problems’ Books

How Coronavirus and lack of match sharpness prevented us getting automatic promotion ‘

I hope this season isn't classed as null as I was hoping we would get out of this terrible league and can't stand the thought of another season watching league 2 football 

53 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

A lot of people assuming we can just pick up the season in a month and finish it off like it never happened. Few things wrong with that thinking.

Firstly, I believe there is almost no chance football just starts again on that day in April. Best case is cases are dying down so they wait another couple of weeks. 

Second, even a month back will have serious logistical issues. Season due to end May 3rd. So now looking at early June at minimum. The transfer window will be open by then and many teams won’t know their competitions for the next season. 

Third, the Euros isn’t just easily pushed back a year. Fifa have a new competition due to start summer of 2021. A 2021 euros interferes massively with that. 

Fourth, if pushed back much further, player contracts come into play. Most expiring deals will end last day of June. Will all regular season and playoff fixtures be over by then? 

Fifth, what about any plans stadiums have over the summer. I am sure Ashton Gate has a few concerts scheduled. Will we be able to play our home games around these? Will Wembley be available for playoff finals? Will playoff venues be available? 

These are just a few issue off the top of my head. I just can’t see a way the season comes to a normal conclusion. I also do not know about legal ramifications of ending as is or anything like that. The situation is unprecedented and it will involve a lot of decisions that a lot of people will not like. 

All good points, Joe. As the best estimate is UK cases peaking in May or June, I can't see everything being normal come early April.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

It was originally defined as "June" the date won't be a problem it will be extended to the end of the season under the current circumstances 

As I’ve posted elsewhere, pretty much every player’s contract due to expire this summer will finish on 30.06.  Ighalo’s “loan” to Man Utd was a short term deal and finishes in May.

I really don’t see how the season can go beyond the end of June, or else you’re into all kinds of contract issues.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Knowing our luck they’ll take the existing top six for the playoffs and cancel the rest of the games.

**** it, it's a game of football. Cancel it, top two go up, bottom two come down. Cross your fingers everything has settled down in time for a kick off in August
It's really not worth the risk of infection. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it all got cancelled to be honest. I've got a couple of people in the family who this could kill, can't compare it to losing out on promotion. I'm sure most people have the same scenario in their lives

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe they'll replace The Killers with The Cure. ?

Cap doffed, Robert. Superb

Sorry to be the voice of doom but I don't believe there is  a cat in hell's chance of an early April resumption.

I would recommend Hannah Fry's programme call Contagion on BBC i player.

This charts how a virus once introduced into the population from a single source spreads.

Once the virus takes hold the best case is that 50% of the population are infected with a 1.5% death rate.

The numbers are frightening.

At times like this football will be an irrelevance .

I hope i'm proved wrong but the Government are using the statistical analysis from this programme for their forecasting and things are going to get an awful lot worse before they get better

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

To be honest I think the season is finished. 

Only way LJ was going to get a 7th place finish for us, now we will have his rose-rinted glass wearing supporters crowing on about another season of year-on-year improvement!  

The supporters of the bottom 6 in the premier league, and indeed those in danger of relegation in any league must be delighted!  

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Self isolation is 7 days

They can commence training then, up to then they'll all have individual training routines 

Fully expect fixtures to start again then, whether crowds are there will be the big factor 

Been isolating for 5 days and still feel wiped out. Least thing I fancy is training. Dozing more like ?

8 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

A lot of people assuming we can just pick up the season in a month and finish it off like it never happened. Few things wrong with that thinking.

Firstly, I believe there is almost no chance football just starts again on that day in April. Best case is cases are dying down so they wait another couple of weeks. 

Second, even a month back will have serious logistical issues. Season due to end May 3rd. So now looking at early June at minimum. The transfer window will be open by then and many teams won’t know their competitions for the next season. 

Third, the Euros isn’t just easily pushed back a year. Fifa have a new competition due to start summer of 2021. A 2021 euros interferes massively with that. 

Fourth, if pushed back much further, player contracts come into play. Most expiring deals will end last day of June. Will all regular season and playoff fixtures be over by then? 

Fifth, what about any plans stadiums have over the summer. I am sure Ashton Gate has a few concerts scheduled. Will we be able to play our home games around these? Will Wembley be available for playoff finals? Will playoff venues be available? 

These are just a few issue off the top of my head. I just can’t see a way the season comes to a normal conclusion. I also do not know about legal ramifications of ending as is or anything like that. The situation is unprecedented and it will involve a lot of decisions that a lot of people will not like. 

Agree and my immediate reaction on the other thread was ‘season abandoned’. However if the season is to finish, with the peak outbreak apparently 10-14 weeks away (14 weeks takes you to mid June), I would think the most likely scenario would be to finish the season in August and September (and poss even October) when next season would originally have started, ie during a period when clubs would have already expected to host matches. Start and finish the new season later (if coronavirus not around next winter of course). I think you need to create a transfer window between this season ending and next season starting however so there will need to be a break between the two seasons in my view. 

Archived