IGNORED

Why are we , effectively, giving Matty Taylor away ?

Major Isewater

I am a bit surprised that we have let Matty run his contract down whilst on loan at Mark Ashton’s old club .

I know we didn’t pay much for him but are we really so wealthy that we can let a player leave for nothing.

I would have thought that we would have put pressure on Oxford to sign him in January even for a nominal fee , it all helps towards FFP .

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I am a bit surprised that we have let Matty run his contract down whilst on loan at Mark Ashton’s old club .

I know we didn’t pay much for him but are we really so wealthy that we can let a player leave for nothing.

I would have thought that we would have put pressure on Oxford to sign him in January even for a nominal fee , it all helps towards FFP .

You have no idea what happened behind the scenes in conversations between agents, clubs and the player.

Why do you assume we didn't?

6 minutes ago, UREDS_91 said:

Why would we get him to sign a new contract, then pay a signing on fee/agent fees etc, when we can let him go without that? Not worth the hassle for a league 1 striker.

We didn’t have to offer him a new contract but other players are sold off before they get into their last year . 
I believe there were other clubs interested in signing Matty , Charlton being one , last summer. 

It just seems very odd to me . 

He is not a ‘ League 1 ‘ striker as he has played at Championship level and even a ‘ League 1 ‘ striker has à transfer value . 

Bailey Wright is another , an international with a stack of Championship experience , he must have had suitors ? 

I don’t understand it. 

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

You have no idea what happened behind the scenes in conversations between agents, clubs and the player.

Why do you assume we didn't?

We evidently didn’t find a way to get a fee for him other wise he would have been sold . 

If MA wanted to sell MT on , he would have  wouldn’t he ? 

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We evidently didn’t find a way to get a fee for him other wise he would have been sold . 

If MA wanted to sell MT on , he would have  wouldn’t he

No, because in your first sentence as you say, we didn't find a way to get a fee for him. 

So I imagine, we did the best deal we could with wage % paid or loan fee, or whatever the terms are of the deal.

If you're alleging that Mark Ashton didn't try to get the best deal done, that's a pretty strong accusation.

If you're Matty Taylor what's the incentive to be sold in January? Security is the only real reason, but I'd 100% prefer to be a free agent, and see the offers that come in. That way you get the money or part of the money that would have gone to the previous employer.

So you need a club to pay for a player that is out of contract in the summer, Matty to want to move now and not make more money in the summer, or what you threaten Oxford that we'll recall him to not play him but still pay him, and then we pay his wages and lose him at the end of the season for nothing? Out of spite? To play hardball? Seems a bit silly to me.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I guess you could have sold him last summer but his championship wages may have been a problem to league one clubs 

7 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

We have missed his ability to come on late on and help us close out games we were winning, I have not seen anyone in a city shirt better at it in my 30 odd years of watching.

We've rarely had players able to shut down games, and it can often be as well to keep playing as Mansfield found out to their cost, but Trundle was good at running down the clock. He could play keep-up by the corner flag with the best of them. 

Multiple factors that we can only speculate on.

On £10k per week, he would’ve cost us £0.5m this season when it looked likely:

1) City weren’t gonna renew (Afobe loan hastening his departure)

2) other clubs interested either loan (Oxford) or perm (Charlton)

probably other things too.

We all have our thoughts on his ability / performances, but last summer, the fact we exercised the option rather than offering a new deal was a bit of a safety net in case we could have offloaded him for a fee.  

25 minutes ago, hodge said:

How much could we have sold him for with 6 or 12 months left on his deal vs how much have we saved by Oxford paying his wages/some sort of loan fee? Probably not much different 

If we had sold him we wouldn’t be paying his wages in total ,unless he signed a contract on the same wages plus we would have his transfer fee to bank ,

Why is it acceptable for Matty and Bailey to leave for nothing and not someone like Elliason or Joe Bryan for example ? 

Because he doesn't hold any value for us.  His wages here are likely higher than he'd get anywhere else so anyone buying him would have to take that into account as well and it just wouldn't be worth it.

It's the same reason you sometimes see premier league players leave for nothing and also sign well known players for just a couple of million.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

How can you not let him go if his contract is up?  He can leave on a free and probably get £100k signing on fee 

Agreed, If we don’t want him, why shouldn’t he get a signing on fee?  Regarded as a joke signing by many because of where he came from, he has more than repaid his fee. Don’t think we have really used him as much as we could/should have , but I thank him for those moments and at least he had his own song.

20 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s possible we put the players happiness above a few quid in the bank? He more than repaid his fee with one assist. 

Absolutely spot on. Taylor and Wright were in expensive signings in the scheme of things but were solid for us but just not quite good enough.  It reflects well on us as a club when recruiting that we don’t block players leaving be it top players like Webster or players that didn’t quite make it like Taylor.

Archived