IGNORED

Film recommendations

AppyDAZE

Got any good recommendations, OTIBers?

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I'm going to have rather a lot of time on my hands for the next few months or so it seems.

I'm particularly interested in British stuff, and anything from sort of late 1940s and after.

Thrillers, psychological, horror, weird, b-movie budget and the like are my prefered, but I'll watch pretty much anything.

Just watched "Psychomania"  a terrific and silly bit of nonsense from the mid 70s, but good fun.

Thanks all! (if I get any replies, of course :laugh:)

PS, the BFI Flipside series is really, really good if you like unusual UK stuff like I do.

On 13/03/2020 at 14:40, AppyDAZE said:

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I'm going to have rather a lot of time on my hands for the next few months or so it seems.

I'm particularly interested in British stuff, and anything from sort of late 1940s and after.

Thrillers, psychological, horror, weird, b-movie budget and the like are my prefered, but I'll watch pretty much anything.

Just watched "Psychomania"  a terrific and silly bit of nonsense from the mid 70s, but good fun.

PS, the BFI Flipside series is really, really good if you like unusual UK stuff like I do.

'The Party'... Peter Sellers..

Also "Being There" - his best film I think.

Just watched Le Mans 66 - really enjoyed it and I am not much of a car racing person but this was about the facinating ,and true, story of Ford v Ferrari.

Thanks for some of the comments.

Just watched a blu-ray of a film i last saw back in 1986.. Something Wild with Jeff Daniels, Melanie Griffith and Ray Liotta

Excellent watch. Got a touch of the David Lynch (the best in my book) about it, and it's pretty funny but turns dark about half way in.

I like it a lot.

4 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Just watched Le Mans 66 - really enjoyed it and I am not much of a car racing person but this was about the facinating ,and true, story of Ford v Ferrari.

Glad it's not called Le Mans 55, because that would have to be a horror film. I've seen the actual footage on youtube and it is horrific and very sad stuff.

• Admin
20 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I'm glad someone mentioned this film, I keep seeing it on my firestick to watch and have been tempted but have no interest in motor racing

May add it to the list now

On the App HD MOVIES 2020 have downloaded this to mirror across to the TV 

Screenshot_20200316-125319_HD Movies 2020.jpg

Watched The Invisible Man ,and although it has some great reviews I though it was bang average . First half of the film was good and lots of suspense but seemed to lose its way as it went on . Only went to watch it because it has Elizabeth Moss in 

it .Who is very good in Hand Maids Tale .She was good in this but hampered by a daft at times plot .

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Mr Roper said:

Watched The Invisible Man ,and although it has some great reviews I though it was bang average . First half of the film was good and lots of suspense but seemed to lose its way as it went on . Only went to watch it because it has Elizabeth Moss in 

Watched it last night, thought it was a decent film, but bloody frustrating at times

On 16/03/2020 at 17:25, AppyDAZE said:

The boys in the striped pajamas I remember being good, but pretty sad. In fact, really sad.

Don't watch it with somebody you want to think you are a tough bloke  :laugh:

If you've not watched the HBO film "Conspiracy" give it a go....

Kenneth Branagh very good,,,won an 'Emmy I believe.....

All about the 'Wansee conference..

Actually visited the villa in the film a few years ago now.....chilling....

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

I haven't, thanks for the tip.

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Good call. Screenplay adapted from the actual minutes of the meeting, IIRC. The cold blooded and efficient nature of the discussions is incredible.

On 16/03/2020 at 21:40, Markman said:

Bad Day at Black Rock

Ahh, what a classic. 

I watched The Irishman recently, which I thought was very good. The original (English) Death at a Funeral is good for a laugh. 

If you are into animation and in particular the incredible work of studio Ghibli in Japan then you might like to know that this list of films is being made available on Netflix 

1 February 2020

Castle in the Sky (1986)

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)

Only Yesterday (1991)

Porco Rosso (1992)

Ocean Waves (1993)

Tales from Earthsea (2006)

1 March 2020

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Princess Mononoke (1997)

My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)

Spirited Away (2001)

The Cat Returns (2002)

Arrietty (2010)

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

1 April 2020

Pom Poko (1994)

Whisper of the Heart (1995)

Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

Ponyo (2008)

From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)

The Wind Rises (2013)

When Marnie Was There (2014)

Howl's moving Castle, and My Neighbour Tortoro are particular favourites of mine.

The Battle Of The Somme 1916. Soundtrack a bit plinkety plonkety, but sobering.

My grandad was attacking the Quadrilateral Redoubt on 1/7/16(!)

Archived