IGNORED

Could it be “easier” next season.

BCFC1512

12 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

If reports are correct and Leeds & WBA get put in a 22 team prem. with them gone and no relagated teams could next season really be our chance!

To say there are reports is a bit far fetched but surely if the Prem got to 22 teams they would be looking to get it back down to 20 the season after? I.e 4 teams go down but only 2 go up.  That surely makes it more difficult as only one automatic place 

28 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

If reports are correct and Leeds & WBA get put in a 22 team prem. with them gone and no relagated teams could next season really be our chance!

I think Fulham would have something to say about that with 10 games left to play. It either has to happen for all leagues and all teams in promotion and relegation slots, or none. Why single out Leeds and WBA. They have won nothing yet.

37 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I really don't understand the obsession with making changes to next season and not finishing this one. 

If changes must be made to next season then it would be just as well to make it shorter, drop the cup competitions or whatever but finish this season that is already three quarters done, first. 

IMO that’s the most sensible option. Restart this season in May / early June, play two matches per week, then start  next season near the end of September. To create more space in next season the only cup competition should be the FA Cup, with no replays. Draw two teams out of the hat and the one in the lowest league position plays at home. If scores are level at 90 minutes go to extra time and, if necessary, penalties. That’s not perfect, but nothing will be in the current circumstances 

50 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

IMO that’s the most sensible option. Restart this season in May / early June, play two matches per week, then start  next season near the end of September. To create more space in next season the only cup competition should be the FA Cup, with no replays. Draw two teams out of the hat and the one in the lowest league position plays at home. If scores are level at 90 minutes go to extra time and, if necessary, penalties. That’s not perfect, but nothing will be in the current circumstances 

Problem is May, and even June, are looking optimistic to restart the season.

Once you're past the end of June there's going to be a ton of contractual issues that are going to leave a lot of teams (particularly in L1 and L2) with depleted, or in some cases, heavily depleted squads. 

By then, I suspect it would make more sense to restart the season after the summer transfer window. Far from an ideal scenario, but nothing is at this stage. 

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Problem is May, and even June, are looking optimistic to restart the season.

Once you're past the end of June there's going to be a ton of contractual issues that are going to leave a lot of teams (particularly in L1 and L2) with depleted, or in some cases, heavily depleted squads. 

By then, I suspect it would make more sense to restart the season after the summer transfer window. Far from an ideal scenario, but nothing is at this stage. 

Would a rule dictating that 2019-20 fixtures can only feature 2019-20 squad players solve the issue? It could hold up transfers, but otherwise could work.

Even if it means a reliance on more U23s, that's not such a bad thing.

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

To say there are reports is a bit far fetched but surely if the Prem got to 22 teams they would be looking to get it back down to 20 the season after? I.e 4 teams go down but only 2 go up.  That surely makes it more difficult as only one automatic place 

It would be 5 down and normal promotion from the championship

3 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

I really don't understand the obsession with making changes to next season and not finishing this one. 

If changes must be made to next season then it would be just as well to make it shorter, drop the cup competitions or whatever but finish this season that is already three quarters done, first. 

I can see all Cup competitions cut for next season. If this season doesn’t finish to ( say) July/ August, then next season could start in October/November. Just play league games on weekends  and every midweek. 8 league games a month and finish the season in April 2021.

The European cups could be cancelled for a season as well. 

Think the financial effects are being overlooked. A lot of clubs may not survive, most players out of contract could be released due to cash flow issues, and with lawyers waiting in the wings, any solution will be challenged.

Who knows how long this will last, and what the impact will be. I’d feel a lot safer if we had a full time, competent PM and Cummings was sent packing. This transcends any petty party politics.

3 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Just end this season, no promotions or relegations, and start next season with our current points. 

Not ideal but the only fair option, in my opinion. 

This could work. Start next season from where we are now. Just call it a mid season break. 

12 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Why have a extra time? Just play the 90 and if level, straight to pens..

There have been calls for the prem to be 22 teams next season with no relegation and Leeds and West Brom being promoted, the downside of that would be no championship playoffs next season so potentially making it even harder 

There’s no fair way to solve things and the lawsuit match day thread could get pretty tasty 

46 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

There have been calls for the prem to be 22 teams next season with no relegation and Leeds and West Brom being promoted, the downside of that would be no championship playoffs next season so potentially making it even harder 

There’s no fair way to solve things and the lawsuit match day thread could get pretty tasty 

Do you think anyone would be proposing that if was say Brentford and Preston top with Leeds and West brom in the playoffs a point behind them? 

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Do you think anyone would be proposing that if was say Brentford and Preston top with Leeds and West brom in the playoffs a point behind them? 

The only way it would be acceptable is if they had a large 10+ lead over 3rd place and that’s clearly not the case, but it is convenient that it’s two ‘big’ clubs in that position 

11 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

How do you know that ?

Next season under the plans in the prem 17th would stay up with 18th relegated as normal and promoted from the championship you'd have two autos and a play off as normal, anything other would deviate further from normality. 

16 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

I agree just finish this season whenever it takes and reset things for next even if you only play each other once or something and scrap cups.

14 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Just end this season, no promotions or relegations, and start next season with our current points. 

Not ideal but the only fair option, in my opinion. 

I think that’s a great idea. But I don’t think any other teams should keep their points. 

7 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

The likely outcome in Italy is to end season now with no champions, no relegations and teams currently in European places will stand for next season. Think that is where we will end up and the most sensible stance to take 

Problem though is Liverpool, there would be a certain lack of credibility having a team that far ahead and not winning the title, i wouldn’t mind betting a way is found to play enough rounds behind closed doors which means they can cancel the season without it adversely affecting anything  

Archived