IGNORED

Brighton & West Ham.....

Andy082005

On the other hand, one good aspect for Brighton- West Ham I have no idea on- is that they have committed to paying matchday staff who will no longer be required on matchday...

What are the comments by Brighton anyway? I saw one of their high ups say that Liverpool not winning the title would be 'unjust' but beyond that?

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2020/3/13/21178892/brighton-employee-pay-covid19-coronavirus

In general, football can do a fair bit here, in some respects.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On the other hand, one good aspect for Brighton- West Ham I have no idea on- is that they have committed to paying matchday staff who will no longer be required on matchday...

What are the comments by Brighton anyway? I saw one of their high ups say that Liverpool not winning the title would be 'unjust' but beyond that?

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2020/3/13/21178892/brighton-employee-pay-covid19-coronavirus

In general, football can do a fair bit here, in some respects.

I assume it is this:

https://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/coronavirus-brighton-chief-executive-paul-barber-proposes-radical-plan-premier-league-2451292

If so, I disagree with the OP.  I think West Ham's stance smacks of self-interest and **** everyone else but, whilst I am sure Brighton don't want to be relegated, they actually seem to me to proposing a fair solution that ensures teams in the promotion places have their impressive seasons rewarded without penalising teams who might subsequently avoid relegation. It is very far from the worst solution I have heard to an almost impossible situation.

If they cancel the season and deny teams in promotion and title-winning positions promotion or the title, there could be a litigation nightmare. If they relegate teams who might have otherwise not gone down, they face a litigation nightmare. I actually think this is a constructive suggestion to try to unpick an incredibly tough problem. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I assume it is this:

https://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/coronavirus-brighton-chief-executive-paul-barber-proposes-radical-plan-premier-league-2451292

If so, I disagree with the OP.  I think West Ham's stance smacks of self-interest and **** everyone else but, whilst I am sure Brighton don't want to be relegated, they actually seem to me to proposing a fair solution that ensures teams in the promotion places have their impressive seasons rewarded without penalising teams who might subsequently avoid relegation. It is very far from the worst solution I have heard to an almost impossible situation.

If they cancel the season and deny teams in promotion and title-winning positions promotion or the title, there could be a litigation nightmare. If they relegate teams who might have otherwise not gone down, they face a litigation nightmare. I actually think this is a constructive suggestion to try to unpick an incredibly tough problem. 

But it has to be the same for all four divisions, so if Leeds and WBA go up, only 2 can come up from League 1, and the same from L2. This means at least one team in the promotion places now will miss out.

12 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

But it has to be the same for all four divisions, so if Leeds and WBA go up, only 2 can come up from League 1, and the same from L2. This means at least one team in the promotion places now will miss out.

Why couldn’t three come up from league 2, given that there are three automatic slots, and especially because league 1 is already a team short (Bury)?  So next season leagues would be 22, 24, 24 and 22.  You’d then have to adjust the number relegated from each division for a couple of seasons to get back to 20, 24, 24, 24.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Why couldn’t three come up from league 2, given that there are three automatic slots, and especially because league 1 is already a team short (Bury)?  So next season leagues would be 22, 24, 24 and 22.  You’d then have to adjust the number relegated from each division for a couple of seasons to get back to 20, 24, 24, 24.

Yea sorry, forgot about the Bury situation.

An interesting point about West Ham, obviously they don’t own the London Stadium (ridiculous name if you ask me) and the stadium is booked up over the summer with concerts and Major League Baseball and so if the season were to be extended into the summer would have nowhere to play home games, so even more self interest in play here wanting it declared void 

My personal opinion is that Clare Brady is right. Football, in it current form, is highly unlikely to resume until the end of May. This will make it almost impossible to complete the season and unless you can complete the season or at the very minimum get to a point where promotion/relegation is confirmed then the season has to be declared null and void.

Now that's tough on run away leaders and good news for those who are at the bottom of the league but you cannot start put a team up or down just because they are in the right place with 9/10 games to go.

14 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

My personal opinion is that Clare Brady is right. Football, in it current form, is highly unlikely to resume until the end of May. This will make it almost impossible to complete the season and unless you can complete the season or at the very minimum get to a point where promotion/relegation is confirmed then the season has to be declared null and void.

Now that's tough on run away leaders and good news for those who are at the bottom of the league but you cannot start put a team up or down just because they are in the right place with 9/10 games to go.

...Corporate lawyers say hi- field day for many on a variety of sides quite possibly!

Don't forget too, broadcasters will want recompense either from cash paid out, or perhaps this might be possible, deducted from cash to come if a season is voided?

Moe self interest, and no prizes for guessing the club...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8117547/Aston-Villa-chief-claims-Premier-League-clubs-believe-no-teams-down.html

If there's one side I would like to see drop above even the Brady bunch, it's well have a guess!!

At the other end of the pyramid...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8117571/Coronavirus-UK-Football-finance-expert-fears-financial-ruin-EFL-clubs.html

3 hours ago, fanjita said:

And with West Ham in danger of being relegated, what a surprise that Karren Brady is suggesting that the season should be declared null and void.

I’m pretty sure a few of us would want the same if we were in a similar position.

Archived