IGNORED

Players best performances

Chairman Mao

Let's try something different. Best performances by players in their careers. Can be City or elsewhere. 

Things like Bobby Charlton in the World Cup 1966 semi final, Roy Keane in the World Cup qualifiers against the Netherlands or Aden Flint (yep, Charlton, Keane, Flint..) against Walsall. 

Go! 

Stan Collymore for Forest that day. You couldn`t help but applaud him for that performance.

Jacki at Leicester in the cup, simply sublime.

Louis Carey away at Forest in the Sky game we won 1-0 (Chris Wood penalty). What a defensive display that was.

Flint away at Brighton when we pissed on their parade.

12 hours ago, yardy said:

Leon Britton ran the show at Ashton Gate a fair few years back, was a masterclass from Swansea and unbelievably we got very lucky to come away with a 2-0 defeat.

2010-11 season. Probably the most one sided game of football I've seen at Ashton Gate. 

On a similar vein, Ross McCormack for Fulham (remember him?!) when they were 4-0 up at half time was ruthless. 2015-16 season.

One from left-field.. Dele Adebola vs Wolves, 2009.

We were really struggling, awful conditions. He comes on at half time and we go 2-0 down. 

We managed to get a 2-2 draw through his sheer doggedness and grit. He battled so hard holding the ball up and causing the Wolves defence so many problems. Excellent seasoned performance from an experienced player. Can't seem to find highlights anywhere unfortunately. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7815935.stm

21 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

2010-11 season. Probably the most one sided game of football I've seen at Ashton Gate. 

On a similar vein, Ross McCormack for Fulham (remember him?!) when they were 4-0 up at half time was ruthless. 2015-16 season.

Still remember Pack cynically bringing down a Fulham player 35-40 yards from goal on the break, and saying to Joe “that’s a good foul, worth a yellow”....as McCormack stroked the resultant free-kick past Frankie.

Doh! ?

13 hours ago, Packman said:

Joe Bryan vs Man Utd is the best performance I've seen from any Bristol City player, absolutely faultless performance. The goal was the icing on the cake, one of the purest strikes you're ever likely to see.

I'd add Marlon Pack again Man Utd to that too. He absolutely dominated Pogba and, I've watched the game back 87 a few times since, and the Sky pundits put a highlight reel together of his performance. It was sublime. 

17 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

John Salako for Swansea back in 89/90 

head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch that day 

I still reference his performance to this day. He was absolute ?

17 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Stan Collymore for Forest that day. You couldn`t help but applaud him for that performance.

Jacki at Leicester in the cup, simply sublime.

Louis Carey away at Forest in the Sky game we won 1-0 (Chris Wood penalty). What a defensive display that was.

Flint away at Brighton when we pissed on their parade.

Collymore looked unplayable. Pretty sure he had a stormer for Southend at AG at some point too

Jacki - 'like he's from another planet'

15 hours ago, yardy said:

Leon Britton ran the show at Ashton Gate a fair few years back, was a masterclass from Swansea and unbelievably we got very lucky to come away with a 2-0 defeat.

He was such a good player, looked superb that game

On 16/03/2020 at 18:39, Chairman Mao said:

Let's try something different. Best performances by players in their careers. Can be City or elsewhere. 

Things like Bobby Charlton in the World Cup 1966 semi final, Roy Keane in the World Cup qualifiers against the Netherlands or Aden Flint (yep, Charlton, Keane, Flint..) against Walsall. 

Go! 

Another Keane one would be away at Juventus in 1999.

As for games I saw live, can't recall if it was against us or when I tagged along with a Coventry-supporting friend, but Matt Jansen had a stormer for Palace, guessing 1998ish.

On 16/03/2020 at 22:31, yardy said:

Yeah. I remember that performance very well indeed, he was fantastic and when he got subbed late in the game the whole of AG applauded him. It was best performance from an opposition player in a very long time. Jack Butland was fantastic at AG a couple of seasons ago as well. 

On 16/03/2020 at 18:39, Chairman Mao said:

Go! 

Roy Keane vs Juve - Champions League - 1999 - absolute warrior - carried Man Yoo thru on his own ..

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Still remember Pack cynically bringing down a Fulham player 35-40 yards from goal on the break, and saying to Joe “that’s a good foul, worth a yellow”....as McCormack stroked the resultant free-kick past Frankie.

Doh! ?

How did you hear Pack saying that?! I find the crowd noise home and away prohibits us from hearing from what the players are saying ... and which season was that McCormack free kick? 

13 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

One from left-field.. Dele Adebola vs Wolves, 2009.

We were really struggling, awful conditions. He comes on at half time and we go 2-0 down. 

We managed to get a 2-2 draw through his sheer doggedness and grit. He battled so hard holding the ball up and causing the Wolves defence so many problems. Excellent seasoned performance from an experienced player. Can't seem to find highlights anywhere unfortunately. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7815935.stm

I am pretty sure that, the same season, we played Southampton away and watched it live on Sky on a midweek night.  Whenever Dele got the ball up front he was like a one man rugby scrum going backwards against 3 or 4 Saints defenders.  IIRC we won 1-0 with David Noble setting up a certain LJ for the winning goal.

I would agree with many above that Jacki v Leicester was probably the best performance by a City player.

Just to throw in another player against us, I will say that Liam Brady for Arsenal against us in 79/80 at the Gate was the most outstanding performance of an opposition player I have witnessed.  Arsenal won 1-0 in what was otherwise not a great game, but the ovation he got from the old Enclosure showed the class of the man and, indeed, the City fans, when it was not an era where performances of opposition players were often recognised by appreciative applause at the game.

Teddy Sheringham for Millwall down AG around 1990ish. 

Lost 4-0 and he got a hat trick. Very special player 

Also, Ruud Gullit for Chelsea in a pre-season friendly. 50 yard passes with outside of both left and right feet to John Spencer's toes on the wing. Never seen anything like it before or since. 

1 hour ago, RED4LIFE said:

Teddy Sheringham for Millwall down AG around 1990ish. 

Lost 4-0 and he got a hat trick. Very special player 

Also, Ruud Gullit for Chelsea in a pre-season friendly. 50 yard passes with outside of both left and right feet to John Spencer's toes on the wing. Never seen anything like it before or since. 

Ha ha, I've been reading through this thread thinking Sheringham and Gullit, and one from the end you beat me to it!

I still can't decide whether Sheringham was partly made to look better by our defensive performance that day; didn't three of the goals come from corners?

I was lucky enough to watch Gullit in his prime, alongside Van Basten for Milan at the San Siro (can't remember the opponents) and they were out of this world. But that friendly was just astonishing, late in his career, and not so much running left in him, but he completely ran the game without breaking sweat!

8 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I am pretty sure that, the same season, we played Southampton away and watched it live on Sky on a midweek night.  Whenever Dele got the ball up front he was like a one man rugby scrum going backwards against 3 or 4 Saints defenders.  IIRC we won 1-0 with David Noble setting up a certain LJ for the winning goal.

I would agree with many above that Jacki v Leicester was probably the best performance by a City player.

Just to throw in another player against us, I will say that Liam Brady for Arsenal against us in 79/80 at the Gate was the most outstanding performance of an opposition player I have witnessed.  Arsenal won 1-0 in what was otherwise not a great game, but the ovation he got from the old Enclosure showed the class of the man and, indeed, the City fans, when it was not an era where performances of opposition players were often recognised by appreciative applause at the game.

I really liked Adebola. I still feel he wasn't quite the style or calibre we needed to get auto-promotion in 07/08 (Hull got Fraizer Campbell and look what happened!) but he was a really good player in his own right. One of the best targetmen I've seen play for us. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Ha ha, I've been reading through this thread thinking Sheringham and Gullit, and one from the end you beat me to it!

I still can't decide whether Sheringham was partly made to look better by our defensive performance that day; didn't three of the goals come from corners?

I was lucky enough to watch Gullit in his prime, alongside Van Basten for Milan at the San Siro (can't remember the opponents) and they were out of this world. But that friendly was just astonishing, late in his career, and not so much running left in him, but he completely ran the game without breaking sweat!

Probably the one player above all others I wish I had gotten to see play live. Over the years, have been fortunate to have seen Maradona, Zico, Ronaldo (both versions), Messi, Zidane, Zanetti, Liam Robinson, Maldini, Del Piero etc in the flesh, but Van Basten eluded me.

Back on topic, I didn't think of Jacki at Leicester (admittedly commented above), that was a masterclass.

Archived