IGNORED

No live football, try this.

1960maaan

So it's December 29th 1990, City sit in the last Playoff place in 7th and Looking forward to the visit of Middlesboro.  We have 34 points from 22 games, 9 points behind Sheff Wed in 3rd place (the last auto spot) , and 6 behind the days visitors. Bernie Slavin was scoring most of their goals, closely followed by Ian Baird (Who?!) and for City a slightly misfiring Bob Taylor was being out shone by Nicky Morgan. 4 wins and a draw from the last 6 games meant Boro would be a tough game, City in the same 6 games managed a very average 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats. 

Here are the teams .... God I'll be glad when football is back.

Spoiler alert ... Goals 23 , 1:20 and !:29

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

So it's December 29th 1990, City sit in the last Playoff place in 7th and Looking forward to the visit of Middlesboro.  We have 34 points from 22 games, 9 points behind Sheff Wed in 3rd place (the last auto spot) , and 6 behind the days visitors. Bernie Slavin was scoring most of their goals, closely followed by Ian Baird (Who?!) and for City a slightly misfiring Bob Taylor was being out shone by Nicky Morgan. 4 wins and a draw from the last 6 games meant Boro would be a tough game, City in the same 6 games managed a very average 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats. 

Here are the teams .... God I'll be glad when football is back.

Spoiler alert ... Goals 23 , 1:20 and !:29

Thanks for that.

I must admit I sort of 'skimmed' through it, fast-forwarding until a few minutes before each goal, but recognised almost all City's players - with the exception of our No. 4, scorer of our first goal.

I tried and tried, but I just could not get his name, until finally I cheated and went back to the team line ups.

Of Course.

Andy May.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

A day before I was 10 years old - was also the first season my Dad took me to see a match at the Gate.

I can never remember the game I first watched, neither can my Dad - for all I know it could have been this one.

Interestingly, I still remember my first match (also with my father, back in the 1960s) as if it was yesterday, standing on that dwarf white wall in the Open End, clinging on to the railings and being in awe at the whole majesty of Ashton Gate.

Bristol City vs Bolton Wanderers; John Atyeo playing for City and the England goalkeeper, Eddie Hopkinson, playing for Bolton.

My problem is I am convinced City won 1-0, and have been for many years, but the record books say otherwise....

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Interestingly, I still remember my first match (also with my father, back in the 1960s) as if it was yesterday, standing on that dwarf white wall in the Open End, clinging on to the railings and being in awe at the whole majesty of Ashton Gate.

Bristol City vs Bolton Wanderers; John Atyeo playing for City and the England goalkeeper, Eddie Hopkinson, playing for Bolton.

My problem is I am convinced City won 1-0, and have been for many years, but the record books say otherwise....

Sounds a bit like my dear old Grandad after a game, he used to indulge in the amber fluid a little bit & have to buy the "Green Un" after the game to check the scores as to be able to report back to my Gran ?

28 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Sounds a bit like my dear old Grandad after a game, he used to indulge in the amber fluid a little bit & have to buy the "Green Un" after the game to check the scores as to be able to report back to my Gran ?

This particular match was more than 50 years ago, and I was less than 10 years old at the time....?

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

This particular match was more than 50 years ago, and I was less than 10 years old at the time....?

I left for Oz in 1970 but used to go down to the gate as a kid & try & get autographs, I honestly don't remember my first game but one that sticks in my mind was City v Liverpool in the old Div 1 in the early 80's when I was on a on a visit to the UK .....:thumbsup:

58 minutes ago, hodge said:

I thought this was going to be about marble racing to get a fix for live sport

You kid but this bloke makes it entertaining. The production value is crazy. I can't believe I'm saying it but it's actually really good... there's even a fight in the crowd (of marbles) at 11 minutes, crazy stuff.

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

You kid but this bloke makes it entertaining. The production value is crazy. I can't believe I'm saying it but it's actually really good... there's even a fight in the crowd (of marbles) at 11 minutes, crazy stuff.

No, that is exactly what I had in mind when saying it, go team green ducks!

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Shiiiiiit, that is cool.

18 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks for that.

I must admit I sort of 'skimmed' through it, fast-forwarding until a few minutes before each goal, but recognised almost all City's players - with the exception of our No. 4, scorer of our first goal.

I tried and tried, but I just could not get his name, until finally I cheated and went back to the team line ups.

Of Course.

Andy May.

I skimmed through this but he played really well in the bits I watched. I had forgotten what a tidy little player he was.

Did anyone else lose count of the number of two- footed or "out of control" challenges? Incredible!

There is a challenge on Dave Smith at 1:23 where he takes an elbow full in the face and the referee gives a foul to Middlesborough. :doh:

Archived