IGNORED

Best football pub

Marina's Rolls Royce

What's your favourite pre/post match footie pub and why?

Mine used to be the Try Again in BS3- proper Bristol and usually a great atmosphere. I graduated to the Nova Scotia as it was easy to park near there, lovely looking at the boats/suspension bridge and an enjoyable walk across the train river bridge and Greville Park. Brilliant on a good day and got more exciting as you see The Gate looming before you.

These days- it's often The George at Abbots Leigh- lovely old pub and you get a few ( well behaved) away supporters stopping there on way from M5 so you can have a friendly chat. Nice and handy to drive down through Failand and park by David Lloyd.

I love pubs and these great places are as vulnerable as an a 93 yr old man with immune deficiency.Thanks to Steve Lansdown our club will survive but these Bristol institutions which have survived just about everything the world can throw at them including bombing may not be so lucky this time around.

Dont really have a favourite pub any more,drink in the Rising Sun because it’s close to the ground,in years gone by it would definitely of been The Ship and Castle,sticky carpets and all.

Mine’s changed a lot down the years. At various points I have used lots of them - Ship and Castle, Wedlock’s, the Robins, Coopers, Rising Sun, Hen and Chicken, the Try Again. Nowadays I quite like the Beer Factory pub next door to Mark’s Bread in North St. 

Depending on who I am meeting, would generally go to 1 of Tobacco Factory, Beer Factory tap room or Rising Sun.

Years ago we used to meet at the Pump House for reasons that were lost to me: it was highly inconvenient for any of our group, and notwithstanding that, there were better pubs within walking distance.

Growing up in the 90s the pre-match pints were ALWAYS the Rising Sun, but most recently on the occasional trips back to see City my drinking has been dutifully done in The Orchard. love post-match doing the Orchard and then heading back to the centre via Wapping Wharf and The Louisiana before finishing up in The Apple, Duke and Volly. 

When I visit England, I'm always reminded of how magical our pub scene is in terms of its sheer atmosphere - you won't find better anywhere in the world. Wishing all our drinking establishments well in the months ahead. 

7 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

wedlocks used to be a beauty......absolute shambles of a decision to knock it down and still not built on

Anyone know why it was knocked down? I can't remember if there was any campaign against it being demolished? Real shame, could hopefully rebuild something similar - it'd do a cracking trade! 

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

wedlocks used to be a beauty......absolute shambles of a decision to knock it down and still not built on

Cardiff at home, stoke at home, even Huddersfield during the game ?

Great pub, especially on a dark Tuesday night.

• Admin

Moved round a few, Black Horse, The Maltsters, Whitening Yard, Wedlock’s, Masonic, Avon Packet, Hen & Chicken, Spotted Cow/Liquid Assets, Star, Bell, London Inn, Jolly Colliers, The Lamb, The Fussels, White Horse, Nova Scotia, to name a few.  Some proper pubs in that lot, sadly missed.

8 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

What's your favourite pre/post match footie pub and why?

Mine used to be the Try Again in BS3- proper Bristol and usually a great atmosphere. I graduated to the Nova Scotia as it was easy to park near there, lovely looking at the boats/suspension bridge and an enjoyable walk across the train river bridge and Greville Park. Brilliant on a good day and got more exciting as you see The Gate looming before you.

These days- it's often The George at Abbots Leigh- lovely old pub and you get a few ( well behaved) away supporters stopping there on way from M5 so you can have a friendly chat. Nice and handy to drive down through Failand and park by David Lloyd.

I love pubs and these great places are as vulnerable as an a 93 yr old man with immune deficiency.Thanks to Steve Lansdown our club will survive but these Bristol institutions which have survived just about everything the world can throw at them including bombing may not be so lucky this time around.

I might even let you off your infamous ‘Matt Smith’ thread over this! I’m with you 100% - The Try Again used to be my pre and post match ‘battle cruiser’ - loved it! Top staff, proper old skool establishment, super atmosphere - a real football pub - miss it so much ...cheers for invoking the memories ...✌️?

(ps: when we were really shite I used to leave Wedlocks at 3.10pm and be back there by 4.30pm for the sausage & chips on the bar, plus ... Natch!!! - They were tedious times ... relentlessly playing teams like Bury, Port Vale, Chesterfield, Gillingham etc - and losing to many of them ..)

8 hours ago, underhanded said:

The Packet on a sunny day for one before, the Masonic for one or two after

years ago ( 3rd div days) the Landlord used to sell joints of lamb to certain customers on the very cheap-and 'on the quiet'- I bought some now and then after a game- no questions.

I've always wondered WTF since that stopped. What the hell was he doing and where the hell did he get them from? ..... probably best not to  know thinking about it.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I might even let you off your infamous ‘Matt Smith’ thread over this! I’m with you 100% - The Try Again used to be my pre and post match ‘battle cruiser’ - loved it! Top staff, proper old skool establishment, super atmosphere - a real football pub - miss it so much ...cheers for invoking the memories ...✌️?

(ps: when we were really shite I used to leave Wedlocks at 3.10pm and be back there by 4.30pm for the sausage & chips on the bar, plus ... Natch!!! - They were tedious times ... relentlessly playing teams like Bury, Port Vale, Chesterfield, Gillingham etc - and losing to many of them ..)

Were you there that one time when the Milwall fans just poured in, chinned a couple of locals , turned over a couple of tables and just ran our again? It was a surreal experience because it seemed to happen in slow motion yet was about 10 seconds from start to finish.

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Anyone know why it was knocked down? I can't remember if there was any campaign against it being demolished? Real shame, could hopefully rebuild something similar - it'd do a cracking trade! 

Problem with Wedlock's was it was rammed for a few hours once a fortnight, the rest of the time mostly quiet well at least it was towards the end of it's life, think the matchday crowd was not enough to sustain It on non match days and through the summer break.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Moved round a few, Black Horse, The Maltsters, Whitening Yard, Wedlock’s, Masonic, Avon Packet, Hen & Chicken, Spotted Cow/Liquid Assets, Star, Bell, London Inn, Jolly Colliers, The Lamb, The Fussels, White Horse, Nova Scotia, to name a few.  Some proper pubs in that lot, sadly missed.

Christ you must have been B****xed by kick off!!

Archived