IGNORED

Podcasts , to help fill the time.

1960maaan

I manage to listen to the odd Podcast in work, so I thought I'd pass on some and maybe get some recommendations. 

I'll leave out the City ones as they're known to all.

Not the top 20 , usually ok but the latest is very interesting. Chats with an investigator from the Athletic, an agent and Oxfords Vice Chairman, concerning the virus and it's meaning to football. 

At home with Colin Murray, the last of the series is Michael O'Neil. This is always enjoyable, but this one is a fan talking to his National teams manager, just great.

Broad and Fry, changing sports, this Cricket Podcast is very gentle but has its moments. I like Stephen Fry, very clever and funny, and Stuart Broad is good in this. 

The Modcast with Eddie Piller. Bit of a different one, obviously leaning toward things Mod. Some brilliant interviews and chat, recently PP Arnold, Rhoda Dakkar and Paul Weller in conversation with Mr Piller.

Any that you guys can recommend ?

If you are 35-45 then thethrowbackpod is my favourite 

https://thethrowbackpodcast.podbean.com

Johnny Vaughn reviewing LBC callers is hilarious 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/johnny-vaughans-lbc-recall/id1481859597

Then there’s your standards, More or Less, Infinite Monkey Cage, 

If you know nothing about Adnan Syed then The Godfather of them all is Serial. It launched podcasts 

https://serialpodcast.org/season-one

Lineker and Baker, Johnny Vaughan's LBC Recall and The Kickabout, Fighting Talk, 5 live boxing with Costello and Bunce, The Treehouse with Danny Baker, Athletico Mince with Bob Mortimer, also enjoy Dan Carlin's Hardcore History although it's VERY long but really informative,more like audiobook length than podcast length!

12 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Lineker and Baker, Johnny Vaughan's LBC Recall and The Kickabout, Fighting Talk, 5 live boxing with Costello and Bunce, The Treehouse with Danny Baker, Athletico Mince with Bob Mortimer, also enjoy Dan Carlin's Hardcore History although it's VERY long but really informative,more like audiobook length than podcast length!

I listened to the WW1 Hardcore History and it was absolutely brilliant. His narration was superb. I was just gutted he didn't carry on to WW2.

The Greatest Game with Jamie Carragher is excellent. The scouse accent might grate on a few but if you can get past that there are some brilliant interviews with ex pros and football loving celebs. The Henry, Owen and Neville Southall ones are particularly interesting

Undr ( yes without the e ) the cosh, absolutely brilliant football podcast.

Laugh a minute, plus it’s certainly eye opening what goes on in pro football that we aren’t aware of.

Toolstation Western league podcast is a good one if you like your local non league football. 

Football weekly, a guardian football podcast. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I listened to the WW1 Hardcore History and it was absolutely brilliant. His narration was superb. I was just gutted he didn't carry on to WW2.

The bit about Paschendale is harrowing.

I think my favourite is the series "Kings of Kings" on the Persian Mepire. Was a topic I did not know much about if I am honest.

Also try the "Hardcore History: Addendum" feed for some one-off episodes (still 2 hours + mind) on slightly more esoteric or random topics.

I mentioned this one in the non-football chat, if you are into podcasts and horror, there is a great series on BBC Sounds. It's loosely based on HP Lovecraft stuff, but it interweaves real characters and events into the narrative and is set in contemporary times. The conceit is that they are running an investigative podcast called the Mystery Machine. The first season is called The Case of Charles Dexter Fletcher and the second season is called Whisperers in the Dark and I loved it.

11 hours ago, mozo said:

11 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Yep me too, Al Murrays We Have Ways of Making You Talk is a pretty good, light hearted podcast about WWll though

Both of these are very good, highly recommend

10 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Quickly Kevin will he score, especially the pods that cover Steve Bruce's book !

Carras The greatest game.

Really enjoyed Quickly Kevin- The Gary Neville one is very interesting.

Speaking of Neville - Not a Podcast but for those with sky sports I'd really recommend watching his soccer box show.

The Undr the cosh podcast with Andy Johnson (ex Wales, Forest and West Brom long haired midfielder) is hilarious. Didn’t know he was Bristolian. Modern day footballers are just not going to have the stories that footballers of yesteryear will have. The drinking culture has gone and camera phones/social media were not around back then so they could act like idiots without fear of it becoming public. Defo check it out on YouTube. 

Two more from me, both history themed.

"You're Dead To Me" is a fairly new podcast (there's about 20 episodes atm) from the BBC. It's history aimed at those that don't like history.  It is presented by one of the guys behind the Horrible Histories TV show. He is joined by one expert and one comedian to chat about anything from Neanderthals through to Harriet Tubman. Personally I'd suggest starting with the episode on the Spartans - available to stream through your browser here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07n8p9m

"In Our Time: History" is a long-established Radio 4 offering where Melvyn Bragg and three experts discuss historical events, people and themes. It's far more sober and serious in tone than You're Dead To Me" and generally at least some prior knowledge of the theme discussed is useful.

If you are into your history then Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast is quite something. Working our way through the Russian Revolution now. Haiti and French Revolutions were highlights. 

Then there is the British History Podcast that is current sat at around 350 episodes and just getting into the days of ****. Absolutely amazing effort. 

Another shout for Dan Carlin too. 

Also, Intrigue: Tunnel 29 on the BBC Sounds app is very good.

"Tunnel 29 is the extraordinary true story of a group of students and refugees who dug a tunnel right under the feet of Berlin Wall border guards to help friends, family and even strangers escape."

Another vote for Athletico Mince. Gutted as was supposed to see it live in Cardiff next week but it’s postponed for obvious reasons. 

Others I really like are: The Adam Buxton podcast (interviews), Q Presents the Making Of (music interviews) Switch Hit (Cricket chat), Two Shot Podcast (interviews), Full Disclosure with James O’Brien (interviews) and then for football for The Totally Football Show and Guardian Football Weekly. 
Talking Politics and The Briefing Room are really good for Current Affairs. 

Archived