IGNORED

Podcasts , to help fill the time.

1960maaan

The Parapod - two comedians, one a believer in ghosts and one deeply sceptical. Utterly hilarious.

The Dollop - An American history podcast which mostly features weird and bizarre historical figures. America has always been nuts.

Infinite Monkey Cage - Brian Cox and Robin Ince talk science.

Shat the Movies - A personal favourite at the moment. A group of Americans review 80’s and 90’s movies.

Pessimists Archive - A historical look at the moral panics in the past. Who knew that pinball was so controversial?

On 17/03/2020 at 20:07, Mr Popodopolous said:

Price of Football, if you don't listen already is required listening if you want to learn more about the financial side of the game.

It's also can be on the lighter side too- thinking presenting numbers, accounting blah blah- but also trends- can be dull but with the right presenters, they get it right!

Only discovered this last week, , superb

On 18/03/2020 at 15:12, ExiledAjax said:

Two more from me, both history themed.

"You're Dead To Me" is a fairly new podcast (there's about 20 episodes atm) from the BBC. It's history aimed at those that don't like history.  It is presented by one of the guys behind the Horrible Histories TV show. He is joined by one expert and one comedian to chat about anything from Neanderthals through to Harriet Tubman. Personally I'd suggest starting with the episode on the Spartans - available to stream through your browser here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07n8p9m

"In Our Time: History" is a long-established Radio 4 offering where Melvyn Bragg and three experts discuss historical events, people and themes. It's far more sober and serious in tone than You're Dead To Me" and generally at least some prior knowledge of the theme discussed is useful.

Love both of these

On 18/03/2020 at 15:12, ExiledAjax said:

Two more from me, both history themed.

"You're Dead To Me" is a fairly new podcast (there's about 20 episodes atm) from the BBC. It's history aimed at those that don't like history.  It is presented by one of the guys behind the Horrible Histories TV show. He is joined by one expert and one comedian to chat about anything from Neanderthals through to Harriet Tubman. Personally I'd suggest starting with the episode on the Spartans - available to stream through your browser here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07n8p9m

"In Our Time: History" is a long-established Radio 4 offering where Melvyn Bragg and three experts discuss historical events, people and themes. It's far more sober and serious in tone than You're Dead To Me" and generally at least some prior knowledge of the theme discussed is useful.

I love In Our Time and it's amazing the things you can learn,  I listened to an old episode about 1066 recently and one thing that came up was that Harolds mother went into exile in a monastery on Flatholm!  That then got me looking at the history of Flatholm and I was amazed to find how much actually went on on that little island. I know it's fashionable to hammer the BBC but, how many organisations would offer such a variety of podcasts for free? BBC Sounds is an amazing resource.

52 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I love In Our Time and it's amazing the things you can learn,  I listened to an old episode about 1066 recently and one thing that came up was that Harolds mother went into exile in a monastery on Flatholm!  That then got me looking at the history of Flatholm and I was amazed to find how much actually went on on that little island. I know it's fashionable to hammer the BBC but, how many organisations would offer such a variety of podcasts for free? BBC Sounds is an amazing resource.

My favourite one from recent listening was about Alcuin of York. I had never heard of the guy but he was essentially the greatest scholar of the 8th century. Was tutor/librarian (although those titles don't do him justice) to Charlemagne and was really the driving force in spreading the idea that learning and knowledge were important for their own sake rather than simply as a way to get closer to god. In a world where all learning was basically trying to figure out how god created the world he really laid the foundations for the critical science and thought that dominated the 2nd millennium. Absolutely fascinating. He also wrote some very bad poetry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dqy8

Sam Harris

Samuel Benjamin Harris is an American author, philosopher, neuroscientist, and podcast host. His work touches on a wide range of topics, including rationality, religion, ethics, free will, neuroscience, meditation, philosophy of mind, politics, terrorism, and artificial intelligence.

Tim Ferris

The Tim Ferriss Show covers topics ranging from personal and character development, to morning routines and meditation habits of celebrities, CEOs and sportspeople like LeBron James, also covering occasional posts about writing, venture capital, metaphysics and even acting/movies

Dr Rhonda Patrick

Dr. Rhonda Patrick has a gift for translating complex scientific topics into actionable insights in her videos, podcasts, and articles. She's dedicated to the pursuit of longevity and optimal health—and shares the latest research on nutrition, aging, and disease prevention with her growing audience.

And a bit of humour for any JRE fans:

7 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Sam Harris

Samuel Benjamin Harris is an American author, philosopher, neuroscientist, and podcast host. His work touches on a wide range of topics, including rationality, religion, ethics, free will, neuroscience, meditation, philosophy of mind, politics, terrorism, and artificial intelligence.

Tim Ferris

The Tim Ferriss Show covers topics ranging from personal and character development, to morning routines and meditation habits of celebrities, CEOs and sportspeople like LeBron James, also covering occasional posts about writing, venture capital, metaphysics and even acting/movies

Dr Rhonda Patrick

Dr. Rhonda Patrick has a gift for translating complex scientific topics into actionable insights in her videos, podcasts, and articles. She's dedicated to the pursuit of longevity and optimal health—and shares the latest research on nutrition, aging, and disease prevention with her growing audience.

And a bit of humour for any JRE fans:

I used to listen to Sam Harris a lot but ended getting fed up with him.

I started noticing that that he hand picks guests that he thinks support his views, and has pet topics which he forces into the conversation (in the same way that Russell Brand always has to bring up spirituality,  regardless of what the topic is).

I ended up getting bored of Harris' anti-wokeness and centrist politics spiel.

He's clearly incredibly intelligent, but I ended up preferring to listen to Sean Carroll. His Mindscapes podcast does have more of a science flavour because that's his field, but the man is genuinely happy to be open-minded about any subject or viewpoint.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I used to listen to Sam Harris a lot but ended getting fed up with him.

I started noticing that that he hand picks guests that he thinks support his views, and has pet topics which he forces into the conversation (in the same way that Russell Brand always has to bring up spirituality,  regardless of what the topic is).

I ended up getting bored of Harris' anti-wokeness and centrist politics spiel.

He's clearly incredibly intelligent, but I ended up preferring to listen to Sean Carroll. His Mindscapes podcast does have more of a science flavour because that's his field, but the man is genuinely happy to be open-minded about any subject or viewpoint.

I agree completely, but try to use it to my advantage. I'm slightly left leaning so use it as a good opportunity to explore the other side of the spectrum.

I've not listened to Sean Carrolls podcast, but have heard him on a few others & I like the way he articulates himself, I'll have to give him a try. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

3 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I agree completely, but try to use it to my advantage. I'm slightly left leaning so use it as a good opportunity to explore the other side of the spectrum.

I've not listened to Sean Carrolls podcast, but have heard him on a few others & I like the way he articulates himself, I'll have to give him a try. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah agreed, and I'm not criticising centrism or defending wokeness over-reach, it was just the broken record aspect that did for me.

Sean Carroll is great. I initially didn't like his odd voice, but his manner is good. I found myself listening to stuff about quantum mechanics, and that's saying something because I'm a complete moron ?

Just finished a podcast series called Wind of Change.

It's an investigation into whether the CIA wrote (or had a hand in) the Scorpions song Wind of Change. It's obviously a crazy idea but is an interesting series and an enjoyable listen. I'm now half convinced that the CIA wrote every song that's ever existed. ;) 

Judging by this thread we have a lot of members with intelligence, taste and a sense of humour!

I am an avid podcast listener but most of the ones I would recommend have already been mentioned from the hilarious Athletico Mince to the deeply serious but superbly presented Hardcore History to the likes of More Or Less and The Infinite Monkey Cage that present serious subjects but with a sense of humour.

I would add on the football front:

The Totally Football Show (with James Richardson, the best in the business)

The Totally Football League Show (from the same stable); and

The Tifo podcast (a very good one today on what is going on at Hull City).

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Judging by this thread we have a lot of members with intelligence, taste and a sense of humour!

I am an avid podcast listener but most of the ones I would recommend have already been mentioned from the hilarious Athletico Mince to the deeply serious but superbly presented Hardcore History to the likes of More Or Less and The Infinite Monkey Cage that present serious subjects but with a sense of humour.

I would add on the football front:

The Totally Football Show (with James Richardson, the best in the business)

The Totally Football League Show (from the same stable); and

The Tifo podcast (a very good one today on what is going on at Hull City).

Honestly I feel like a lot of the football pods have gone off the boil a bit recently. The Football Ramble Monday and Thursday episodes are still good (when all four of them are on), and their "Greatest Games" series is occasionally interesting, but some of the other stuff they put out is a bit off brand. I've tried "Andy & Jules" and my god it was bad.

The main Totally show is decent, although a little ad-heavy, but I struggle with the Totally Football League Show. In my experience media that tries to cover the EFL always suffers from the issue of having to give reasonably fair coverage to all 72 clubs in just an hour's program. I don't mind the presenters (although Barker and Parkin grate a little) but they all struggle with content. Do you know of a decent pod that solely covers the Championship?

Tifo as well...I don't really know why but I just never clicked with it.

Guardian is still ok but it's not as good as when Richardson fronted it.

I am on the lookout for a new football pod tbh.

On 17/03/2020 at 14:39, 054123 said:

If you know nothing about Adnan Syed then The Godfather of them all is Serial. It launched podcasts 

Hate to call out an old post but I think Messrs Gervais, Merchant and Pilkington would like a quiet word with you about who launched podcasts. 10 years before Serial they were.

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Honestly I feel like a lot of the football pods have gone off the boil a bit recently. The Football Ramble Monday and Thursday episodes are still good (when all four of them are on), and their "Greatest Games" series is occasionally interesting, but some of the other stuff they put out is a bit off brand. I've tried "Andy & Jules" and my god it was bad.

The main Totally show is decent, although a little ad-heavy, but I struggle with the Totally Football League Show. In my experience media that tries to cover the EFL always suffers from the issue of having to give reasonably fair coverage to all 72 clubs in just an hour's program. I don't mind the presenters (although Barker and Parkin grate a little) but they all struggle with content. Do you know of a decent pod that solely covers the Championship?

Tifo as well...I don't really know why but I just never clicked with it.

Guardian is still ok but it's not as good as when Richardson fronted it.

I am on the lookout for a new football pod tbh.

I can understand your point of view, though at least there is some actual football for them to talk about now!

Today's Totally Football Show, covering European football, was on form I thought.

As for the Totally Football League Show, Caroline Barker is very knowledgeable about the EFL and has a sense of humour, though she has moved to Sky now. It could do with some new pundits though.

Tifo can be a bit too posh for its own good admittedly.

I listen to the Football Ramble but it is inconsistent and the Geordie guy, Pete, is just irritating.

Guardian Football Weekly is still good but they pretty much disdain the EFL (apart from Leeds of course) - it's just not hipster enough for them I think!

Stadio is my latest football pod listen. It's the usual football round up model, but a different style. They did an episode in lockdown discussing football people as characters from the Wire. I think Sepp Blatter was Clay Davis... sheeeeeeeeeit...

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Hate to call out an old post but I think Messrs Gervais, Merchant and Pilkington would like a quiet word with you about who launched podcasts. 10 years before Serial they were.

Nothing quite like serial.

Ive been listening to podcasts for years as well and the Gervais project was definitely an underground hit. Serial’s numbers were ridiculous. It was almost mainstream. The surge in Podcast production post serial is undeniable.

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I can understand your point of view, though at least there is some actual football for them to talk about now!

Today's Totally Football Show, covering European football, was on form I thought.

As for the Totally Football League Show, Caroline Barker is very knowledgeable about the EFL and has a sense of humour, though she has moved to Sky now. It could do with some new pundits though.

Tifo can be a bit too posh for its own good admittedly.

I listen to the Football Ramble but it is inconsistent and the Geordie guy, Pete, is just irritating.

Guardian Football Weekly is still good but they pretty much disdain the EFL (apart from Leeds of course) - it's just not hipster enough for them I think!

And here our different tastes are revealed. I like Ramble for the "mates in a pub" vibe. Pete is your ******** mate who can't handle his drink. It's a bit silly at times but I like it as a bit of escapism.

Honestly the dropoff was happening before lockdown imo, ever since the Totally/Guardian split the football podcast world has been a little strange for me.

"Tifo can be a bit too posh for its own good admittedly." I've been accused of the same, maybe we're just too similar ?

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

Stadio is my latest football pod listen. It's the usual football round up model, but a different style. They did an episode in lockdown discussing football people as characters from the Wire. I think Sepp Blatter was Clay Davis... sheeeeeeeeeit...

I'll give this a go. 

Also going to try Quickly Kevin; Will he Score?

9 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Nothing quite like serial.

Ive been listening to podcasts for years as well and the Gervais project was definitely an underground hit. Serial’s numbers were ridiculous. It was almost mainstream. The surge in Podcast production post serial is undeniable.

Fair I guess, Serial probably did get podcasts into the mainstream, at least in the US. In the UK it was Guardian Unlimited's output that drove it for me, starting with getting Gervais et al on my ipod Video in 2005, then listening to it and creasing up as I walked to work.

Quickly Kevin, Will he Score? started again recently. Just released a fun two-part interview with Jamie Redknapp. Our 1-0 win against Liverpool in 1994 (you might have heard of this game) gets a reasonable amount of airtime during the second part - at about 7 minutes in. But really you want to listen to the whole thing for some cracking stories about Souness, the 'old-guard', and Euro 96 (including that night out in Hong Kong).

On 17/03/2020 at 20:07, Mr Popodopolous said:

Price of Football, if you don't listen already is required listening if you want to learn more about the financial side of the game.

It's also can be on the lighter side too- thinking presenting numbers, accounting blah blah- but also trends- can be dull but with the right presenters, they get it right!

PoF is essential listening for all football fan, though they won't like much of what they'll hear.

TrueAnon I really love, a silly but informative podcast about American foreign policy and the murky goings on. Big focus on current "true crime" topics like Epstein and Qanon.

I also really like "stop and search" all about the war on drugs and the UK's drug policy. Had some really interesting guests on like David Nutt and the UK's first ever Black policeman. 

On 30/06/2020 at 21:41, ExiledAjax said:

And here our different tastes are revealed. I like Ramble for the "mates in a pub" vibe. Pete is your ******** mate who can't handle his drink. It's a bit silly at times but I like it as a bit of escapism.

Honestly the dropoff was happening before lockdown imo, ever since the Totally/Guardian split the football podcast world has been a little strange for me.

"Tifo can be a bit too posh for its own good admittedly." I've been accused of the same, maybe we're just too similar ?

I'll give this a go. 

Also going to try Quickly Kevin; Will he Score?

Fair I guess, Serial probably did get podcasts into the mainstream, at least in the US. In the UK it was Guardian Unlimited's output that drove it for me, starting with getting Gervais et al on my ipod Video in 2005, then listening to it and creasing up as I walked to work.

Just reading back through this as I am quite a big consumer of podcasts. The ramble is my go to football podcast and I've been a bit disappointed since they've started rotating the presenters each week. My views contrast @chinapig quite a lot - not Pete = no pod! 

25 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Just reading back through this as I am quite a big consumer of podcasts. The ramble is my go to football podcast and I've been a bit disappointed since they've started rotating the presenters each week. My views contrast @chinapig quite a lot - not Pete = no pod! 

Oh mate I completely agree with you. For me when they have say, Breach, Brassell, and Vish or Jim it just becomes dull, and just like any other podcast. There's certain trios that just don't fit well and don't vibe. When they have one like that followed by a Marcus, Luke and Pete one you really feel the contrast.

It's not all the individuals themselves as Vish can be great when with some of the old guard. I do find Breach and Brassell drag down almost any combo. Brassell can be a bore, and Breach...she's definitely working at a job rather than just having a laugh. Mason and Vish are generally good additions though.

This season I'm really enjoying Totally Football League Show. They've mixed it up a bit and have been getting some great interviews. Really good so far.

Archived