IGNORED

Official Working From Home Thread

CyderInACan

Now I have worked 50% of my working week from home for nearly the past three years, but even I am finding it a bit of stretch now it's permanent for the foreseeable future. 

Luckily a lot of what i do means I can have music on so my Spotify Premium and YouTube playlists are getting absolutely rinsed. I'm almost getting bored of it! 

In the office you can wander round to so-and-so's team for a chat, bump into whasstheirname in the kitchen whilst making a cuppa or go out to lunch with whodyamaflip for a pint in the Portwall or other local taverna. 

I'm sure there must be lots of us getting bored or finding their minds wandering wondering about, well, the obvious. 

Apart from a bit of music, what tips can we share for making this all a bit easier? 

I have always been a big advocate of having a proper "break" rather than working through and usually I would go out for a run for lunchtime but instead today I had to settle for a wander up to North Street and back. Fresh air, exercise and a bit of time to clear your head do wonders, for your physical and mental wellbeing. 

What are the rest of you doing and how are you coping?  

I'm still required to work from the office until the end of this week, and will be walking from the town centre to Southville.

If anybody is self-isolating/working from home/can't make it out, feel free to let me know. I'm happy to pick anything up and drop it off after work - between 6.30-7.30pm - to anyone in Bedminster/Southville who may need it.

44 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Now I have worked 50% of my working week from home for nearly the past three years, but even I am finding it a bit of stretch now it's permanent for the foreseeable future. 

Luckily a lot of what i do means I can have music on so my Spotify Premium and YouTube playlists are getting absolutely rinsed. I'm almost getting bored of it! 

In the office you can wander round to so-and-so's team for a chat, bump into whasstheirname in the kitchen whilst making a cuppa or go out to lunch with whodyamaflip for a pint in the Portwall or other local taverna. 

I'm sure there must be lots of us getting bored or finding their minds wandering wondering about, well, the obvious. 

Apart from a bit of music, what tips can we share for making this all a bit easier? 

I have always been a big advocate of having a proper "break" rather than working through and usually I would go out for a run for lunchtime but instead today I had to settle for a wander up to North Street and back. Fresh air, exercise and a bit of time to clear your head do wonders, for your physical and mental wellbeing. 

What are the rest of you doing and how are you coping?  

Got a few things to tell but not sure I can be trusted

Been working from home for 2 years now. Although I’m often out to visit clients so not there 5 days a week. 
It took me a good 6 months to get into a proper routine and where I felt ‘settled’ working from home. 

I ended up moving out of the spare room and building a cabin in the garden. At least I now have a commute - across the back garden. But its amazing how much better it feels being at home but not stuck in a spare room. If any of you have a shed, I’d recommend getting yourself set up out there rather than having the ‘distractions’ of being in the house. 

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Been working from home for 2 years now. Although I’m often out to visit clients so not there 5 days a week. 
It took me a good 6 months to get into a proper routine and where I felt ‘settled’ working from home. 

I ended up moving out of the spare room and building a cabin in the garden. At least I now have a commute - across the back garden. But its amazing how much better it feels being at home but not stuck in a spare room. If any of you have a shed, I’d recommend getting yourself set up out there rather than having the ‘distractions’ of being in the house. 

Reminds me of this great tune from the Magnificent AK47, will give you a laugh Harold:

(I was in the audience for this!)

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'd go and work in our's but it's (Colin) crammed to the rafters with bogrolls :banana:

I'm very distracted at the moment though TBF. Once the schools close it's only going to get worse too. 

I'm gaining 3 hours minimum commuting time, and a fair bit of money on petrol and transport fares. 

Sorry to be positive at a very scary time, but WFH has been a massive help.

Not having childcare will be a challenge though.

I'm joining you guys from tomorrow. Not expecting too much of a change as I've been camped in the darkest corner of the office for the past 3 months running projects anyway. 

I also prefer the company of the cats over colleagues - for now at least.

So my company have imposed “self isolation” on me, which seems a bit like a contradiction in terms. I am well, in case you are wondering, they have done it in my own best interests. I am consoling myself with the idea that this is because of my asthma and a long term cough that the doctors have been investigating since September, and not because of my age, which would quite frankly piss me off no end. :)
In practice the only thing that has changed is my training courses I run, I am going to try and run one on Monday and Tuesday via teams. Wish me luck. :) 

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So my company have imposed “self isolation” on me, which seems a bit like a contradiction in terms. I am well, in case you are wondering, they have done it in my own best interests. I am consoling myself with the idea that this is because of my asthma and a long term cough that the doctors have been investigating since September, and not because of my age, which would quite frankly piss me off no end. :)
In practice the only thing that has changed is my training courses I run, I am going to try and run one on Monday and Tuesday via teams. Wish me luck. :) 

We moved from Skype for Business to MS Teams about 2 months ago, and most of us think it’s a massive improvement. 

Archived