IGNORED

Official Working From Home Thread

CyderInACan

Just trying to help out the local businesses as much as we can. I've got a crate of beer coming from the local brewery, have the car wash man coming later on (mobile car washes are a big thing here) and will be ordering lunch from my normal spot.

My job is pretty much unaffected as we can all work remotely anyway - whether clients keep doing stuff though is yet to be seen.

Usually work from home, so this suggestion that we all work from home now hasn't really impacted me.

What I have noticed however, it then change to my daily routine, where at the end of the day, I either go for a walk or go to the gym and then go for a pint.

This 'avoid the pub/gym' thing is proving to be a challenge, as there is no real need to get out of the house.

9 minutes ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

To break the day up from wfh - would visits to the gym be advisable if you're careful...any views?

Would guess it depends on how busy it is, and if you might be better off showering when you get home rather than using a large shared changing facility.

Just been emailed and asked for my laptop asset tag, and they are putting in contingency plans for collection at the end of my contract.  Usually would go into office and handover to line manager....but they won’t be in office either.

12 weeks from Friday for me (why Friday?)

New laptop purchased by me personally yesterday, no point checking reviews just grab the one in stock.

This sucks.  But I can chain smoke at my desk again for the 1st time in 20 years, so there is that...

Oh, and try and grow a beard, which I’ve never dared to before.

1 hour ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

To break the day up from wfh - would visits to the gym be advisable if you're careful...any views?

Gyms are one of the worst places to go - lots of deep breathing people which means there is more vapour being exhaled by other people so its high risk place.

Plus all the machines, equipment, changing facilities are hotbeds for the dreaded lurgey. 

18 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I don’t have any monitors at home, so it’s a pain trying to work with just a small laptop screen. I could plug it into the TV I guess, but then the screen would be quite far away.

Other than that WFH is ok. 

Dual screen the tv with laptop, not ideal I know but at least you get a ‘read screen’ and a ‘work screen’. 

Felt like an imbecile yesterday trying to use the laptop as I kept looking for my other screens, and this was just setting it up!  New laptop, doesn’t have an internet (ISDN port?)and only has an hdmi out so my monitor is ******* useless.  Have to steal a converter from work tomorrow I guess and maybe one of the senior managers decent displays...

...the coffee machine, the coffee, a desk and the petty cash.

should be good to go

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Now I have worked 50% of my working week from home for nearly the past three years, but even I am finding it a bit of stretch now it's permanent for the foreseeable future. 

Luckily a lot of what i do means I can have music on so my Spotify Premium and YouTube playlists are getting absolutely rinsed. I'm almost getting bored of it! 

In the office you can wander round to so-and-so's team for a chat, bump into whasstheirname in the kitchen whilst making a cuppa or go out to lunch with whodyamaflip for a pint in the Portwall or other local taverna. 

I'm sure there must be lots of us getting bored or finding their minds wandering wondering about, well, the obvious. 

Apart from a bit of music, what tips can we share for making this all a bit easier? 

I have always been a big advocate of having a proper "break" rather than working through and usually I would go out for a run for lunchtime but instead today I had to settle for a wander up to North Street and back. Fresh air, exercise and a bit of time to clear your head do wonders, for your physical and mental wellbeing. 

What are the rest of you doing and how are you coping?  

Work laptop on one side of the desk, football manager on the other... Got asked a question in a Skype meeting today but I was too engrossed in the FA Trophy final to notice ?

4 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Work laptop on one side of the desk, football manager on the other... Got asked a question in a Skype meeting today but I was too engrossed in the FA Trophy final to notice ?

Must admit I do like the new physical block switches on the camera they have now so you can’t be ‘surprised’ midway through a ‘break’ by an incoming Microsoft Teams call.

The post it note over the lens never really seemed secure enough to me.

13 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Dual screen the tv with laptop, not ideal I know but at least you get a ‘read screen’ and a ‘work screen’. 

Yeah that seems only solution.

Although now they’re closing the schools/nurseries I might just sneak back into the office. ? 

3 hours ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

My gym was still in full order last I went tonight but they are taking each day on its merits. One trainer said he reckoned a week would see it shut. Now the Government  have closed the schools from next week it looks likely that all gyms will follow suit. And as an aside, I did some low impact stuff - no cardio - but there was about a quarter of the usual turnout. Numbers falling will force a closure in itself.

Reg, now you know what us Pensioners have to put up with, day after day after day. Get up at 11, sit in the lounge, switch on the TV, count our pension money in the bank, go on OTIB, count our pension money again, see if Robbored has put anything controversial on OTIB. and then its only 11.09 !!

Seriously, all the best guys and girls, difficult times but if we all are careful and sensible we will come through this and can take up our favourite occupation, that of willing our beloved Robins and our Head Coach ( forgot his name already ? ) to the Golden Land.

Keep safe Guys

Archived