Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

CyderInACan

Official Working From Home Thread

Now I have worked 50% of my working week from home for nearly the past three years, but even I am finding it a bit of stretch now it's permanent for the foreseeable future. 

Luckily a lot of what i do means I can have music on so my Spotify Premium and YouTube playlists are getting absolutely rinsed. I'm almost getting bored of it! 

In the office you can wander round to so-and-so's team for a chat, bump into whasstheirname in the kitchen whilst making a cuppa or go out to lunch with whodyamaflip for a pint in the Portwall or other local taverna. 

I'm sure there must be lots of us getting bored or finding their minds wandering wondering about, well, the obvious. 

Apart from a bit of music, what tips can we share for making this all a bit easier? 

I have always been a big advocate of having a proper "break" rather than working through and usually I would go out for a run for lunchtime but instead today I had to settle for a wander up to North Street and back. Fresh air, exercise and a bit of time to clear your head do wonders, for your physical and mental wellbeing. 

What are the rest of you doing and how are you coping?  

• Like 3

I don't have any work at the moment, freelance has dried up. I'm trying to make a film, listening to RadMac on iplayer (have 6 shows at 3 hours to go). I'm easily distracted, hence replying to this thread. Done some washing, made some coffee… 

• Sad 1

I'm an unsociable sod, so working from home is good for me, I usually do 1 or 2 days a week, now 5 days a week is heaven....

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

. . . and think about leaving the 'ouse

All joking aside @exAtyeoMax I hope you're OK? 

Yes, I'm fine Reg. Just bored and fed up like everyone else. Hope you are all ok?

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes, I'm fine Reg. Just bored and fed up like everyone else. Hope you are all ok?

Cheers, yes OK - just waiting for the news at 5pm that schools are all closing - then shit really will get real. 

• Like 2

56 jobs just gone at my company, so thought i'd take a break from working from home to scroll OTIB. Trouble is, there's nothing to talk about other than coronavirus!

• Sad 2

I'm still required to work from the office until the end of this week, and will be walking from the town centre to Southville.

If anybody is self-isolating/working from home/can't make it out, feel free to let me know. I'm happy to pick anything up and drop it off after work - between 6.30-7.30pm - to anyone in Bedminster/Southville who may need it.

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

44 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Now I have worked 50% of my working week from home for nearly the past three years, but even I am finding it a bit of stretch now it's permanent for the foreseeable future. 

Luckily a lot of what i do means I can have music on so my Spotify Premium and YouTube playlists are getting absolutely rinsed. I'm almost getting bored of it! 

In the office you can wander round to so-and-so's team for a chat, bump into whasstheirname in the kitchen whilst making a cuppa or go out to lunch with whodyamaflip for a pint in the Portwall or other local taverna. 

I'm sure there must be lots of us getting bored or finding their minds wandering wondering about, well, the obvious. 

Apart from a bit of music, what tips can we share for making this all a bit easier? 

I have always been a big advocate of having a proper "break" rather than working through and usually I would go out for a run for lunchtime but instead today I had to settle for a wander up to North Street and back. Fresh air, exercise and a bit of time to clear your head do wonders, for your physical and mental wellbeing. 

What are the rest of you doing and how are you coping?  

Got a few things to tell but not sure I can be trusted

• Haha 2
  • Robin 1

Been working from home for 2 years now. Although I’m often out to visit clients so not there 5 days a week. 
It took me a good 6 months to get into a proper routine and where I felt ‘settled’ working from home. 

I ended up moving out of the spare room and building a cabin in the garden. At least I now have a commute - across the back garden. But its amazing how much better it feels being at home but not stuck in a spare room. If any of you have a shed, I’d recommend getting yourself set up out there rather than having the ‘distractions’ of being in the house. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Been working from home for 2 years now. Although I’m often out to visit clients so not there 5 days a week. 
It took me a good 6 months to get into a proper routine and where I felt ‘settled’ working from home. 

I ended up moving out of the spare room and building a cabin in the garden. At least I now have a commute - across the back garden. But its amazing how much better it feels being at home but not stuck in a spare room. If any of you have a shed, I’d recommend getting yourself set up out there rather than having the ‘distractions’ of being in the house. 

Reminds me of this great tune from the Magnificent AK47, will give you a laugh Harold:

(I was in the audience for this!)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'd go and work in our's but it's (Colin) crammed to the rafters with bogrolls :banana:

I'm very distracted at the moment though TBF. Once the schools close it's only going to get worse too. 

I'm gaining 3 hours minimum commuting time, and a fair bit of money on petrol and transport fares. 

Sorry to be positive at a very scary time, but WFH has been a massive help.

Not having childcare will be a challenge though.

• Like 4

Been used to a couple of days a week (Monday & Friday), but this will get tiresome.

However, I should be greatful. Eight of our service team being given bad news this afternoon. ☹️

• Sad 4

First day of WFH today - didn't miss the commute into town although I normally walk half of it.  Office banter is being missed however, although you don't realise it until its not there!

• Like 1

Highly recommend getting a dog if you’ve been thinking about it at all. Makes you get out of the house 3/4 times a day whether you want to or not! 

I'm joining you guys from tomorrow. Not expecting too much of a change as I've been camped in the darkest corner of the office for the past 3 months running projects anyway. 

I also prefer the company of the cats over colleagues - for now at least.

So my company have imposed “self isolation” on me, which seems a bit like a contradiction in terms. I am well, in case you are wondering, they have done it in my own best interests. I am consoling myself with the idea that this is because of my asthma and a long term cough that the doctors have been investigating since September, and not because of my age, which would quite frankly piss me off no end. :)
In practice the only thing that has changed is my training courses I run, I am going to try and run one on Monday and Tuesday via teams. Wish me luck. :) 

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So my company have imposed “self isolation” on me, which seems a bit like a contradiction in terms. I am well, in case you are wondering, they have done it in my own best interests. I am consoling myself with the idea that this is because of my asthma and a long term cough that the doctors have been investigating since September, and not because of my age, which would quite frankly piss me off no end. :)
In practice the only thing that has changed is my training courses I run, I am going to try and run one on Monday and Tuesday via teams. Wish me luck. :) 

We moved from Skype for Business to MS Teams about 2 months ago, and most of us think it’s a massive improvement. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We moved from Skype for Business to MS Teams about 2 months ago, and most of us think it’s a massive improvement. 

Yeah we're on SkypeFB - it's not great 

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

Football manager is free to download for a week, just to help people's productivity 

Where’d you see that please? Saying £8.99 on App Store. Cheers 

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Where’d you see that please? Saying £8.99 on App Store. Cheers 

PC/Mac via Steam only

• Thanks 1

Just trying to help out the local businesses as much as we can. I've got a crate of beer coming from the local brewery, have the car wash man coming later on (mobile car washes are a big thing here) and will be ordering lunch from my normal spot.

My job is pretty much unaffected as we can all work remotely anyway - whether clients keep doing stuff though is yet to be seen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lenred said:

Highly recommend getting a dog if you’ve been thinking about it at all. Makes you get out of the house 3/4 times a day whether you want to or not! 

I wouldn't recommend it if you live next door to a Rovers fan.

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Got a few things to tell but not sure I can be trusted

It's never stopped you before...

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, we use it very good experience so far.

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Yep, we use it very good experience so far.

The dangers of downloading Teams app to your phone.  Be careful conference goers!!

• Haha 1

Usually work from home, so this suggestion that we all work from home now hasn't really impacted me.

What I have noticed however, it then change to my daily routine, where at the end of the day, I either go for a walk or go to the gym and then go for a pint.

This 'avoid the pub/gym' thing is proving to be a challenge, as there is no real need to get out of the house.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

To break the day up from wfh - would visits to the gym be advisable if you're careful...any views?

Would guess it depends on how busy it is, and if you might be better off showering when you get home rather than using a large shared changing facility.

Just been emailed and asked for my laptop asset tag, and they are putting in contingency plans for collection at the end of my contract.  Usually would go into office and handover to line manager....but they won’t be in office either.

12 weeks from Friday for me (why Friday?)

New laptop purchased by me personally yesterday, no point checking reviews just grab the one in stock.

This sucks.  But I can chain smoke at my desk again for the 1st time in 20 years, so there is that...

Oh, and try and grow a beard, which I’ve never dared to before.

Edited by RumRed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

To break the day up from wfh - would visits to the gym be advisable if you're careful...any views?

Gyms are one of the worst places to go - lots of deep breathing people which means there is more vapour being exhaled by other people so its high risk place.

Plus all the machines, equipment, changing facilities are hotbeds for the dreaded lurgey. 

I don’t have any monitors at home, so it’s a pain trying to work with just a small laptop screen. I could plug it into the TV I guess, but then the screen would be quite far away.

Other than that WFH is ok.