IGNORED

Match day Staff on Zero Hours Contracts

Angry Robin

Would be a nice gesture from the Club/Players to make a financial gesture of goodwill to all Match Day Staff who are on Zero Hours contract & are unable to get SSP through this difficult time,  These staff work hard & some of them have been at the club for many years & are crucial to all events & operations of the Club, Most of the staff young & old, this is their only source of income & may find themselves gong through difficult times over the coming weeks, would be nice gesture if the club followed Brighton lead with helping their Zero hours staff.          

9 minutes ago, Angry Robin said:

Would be a nice gesture from the Club/Players to make a financial gesture of goodwill to all Match Day Staff who are on Zero Hours contract & are unable to get SSP through this difficult time,  These staff work hard & some of them have been at the club for many years & are crucial to all events & operations of the Club, Most of the staff young & old, this is their only source of income & may find themselves gong through difficult times over the coming weeks, would be nice gesture if the club followed Brighton lead with helping their Zero hours staff.          

Agreed

...Excuse me while I uncrease myself from the floor.

I surmise, not much chance.

Piecemeal approach, some PL clubs have or have deferred but committed in the event of cancellation, but by no means all.

If I'm to take an objective guess- and this is barring right, wrong or personal views. Clubs will look at income coming in and falling off a bit of a cliff- and they will look at costs and trim them wherever and whenever possible.

What I don't understand though, is why footballers contracts for full salary are so watertight- look in France, Amiens have taken advantage of some law which says that 16% wage cuts across the board is possible.

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Piecemeal approach, some PL clubs have or have deferred but committed in the event of cancellation, but by no means all.

If I'm to take an objective guess- and this is barring right, wrong or personal views. Clubs will look at income coming in and falling off a bit of a cliff- and they will look at costs and trim them wherever and whenever possible.

What I don't understand though, is why footballers contracts for full salary are so watertight- look in France, Amiens have taken advantage of some law which says that 16% wage cuts across the board is possible.

Don’t forget some contracts will be basic plus:

• appearance fee
  • win bonus
  • etc
  • etc

so clubs won’t be paying full whack at this point.  Not saying that means anything.

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't know about that, it's not a ridiculous suggestion. Depends how philanthropic owners are feeling. Everyone will take a hit to some extent, but people on 0 hour contracts like this will be impacted more than most. I don't think it's absurd to suggest the club might help them out. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't know about that, it's not a ridiculous suggestion. Depends how philanthropic owners are feeling. Everyone will take a hit to some extent, but people on 0 hour contracts like this will be impacted more than most. I don't think it's absurd to suggest the club might help them out. 

I'm playing Devil's Advocate a little.

I think it would be the right thing to do, but I question the likelihood. Gut instinct says no, like I say even in the PL where there is a lot more money, TV money swilling about, it's a piecemeal approach and varied.

It would be a grand gesture and especially if there was some sort of say partial player wage deferral to help with the effort- I just am not sure I see it happening. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm playing Devil's Advocate a little.

I think it would be the right thing to do, but I question the likelihood. Gut instinct says no, like I say even in the PL where there is a lot more money, TV money swilling about, it's a piecemeal approach and varied.

Maybe, I think Lansdown is a good man and I'd like to think he'd help out. Compared to the wages of players and other matchday running costs, helping a few minimum wage earners out during these hard times would be a drop in the ocean but definitely the right thing to do. 

Foster son works at AG during rugby games, he’s had an email this afternoon basically wishing him well (as in stay healthy) through these difficult times and they’ll be in touch, but nothing else. 

Not having a pop at Ashton Gate, just relaying the info. 

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe, I think Lansdown is a good man and I'd like to think he'd help out. Compared to the wages of players and other matchday running costs, helping a few minimum wage earners out during these hard times would be a drop in the ocean but definitely the right thing to do. 

Steve is a good man...for Bristol sport, but he’s also a business man.

For some perspective I understand one player  is on £35K per week...basic

100 zero hours staff earning £50 a game = £5,000, 1 days pay for that person.

I believe Mr Ashton (not the fire alarm one) is paid £500,000 per year, £9,600 per week.

I don’t begrudge those two their money, I’m sure they earn it, however if there were no zero hours staff there would be no game.

Of interest, from the other side of town.

Whilst Rovers will be ensuring that contracted staff are paid throughout this period, they are also keen to support casual staff.

They said: "We also have provisions in place for casual staff who are suffering from financial difficulties to gain extra support from the Club in order to help them through this difficult time where possible.

"Any staff wishing to volunteer to help Bristol City Council will be able to do so whilst continuing to be paid by the club."

Now I don't see how that follows but. Some Council announcement I've missed?

40 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Steve is a good man...for Bristol sport, but he’s also a business man.

For some perspective I understand one player  is on £35K per week...basic

100 zero hours staff earning £50 a game = £5,000, 1 days pay for that person.

I believe Mr Ashton (not the fire alarm one) is paid £500,000 per year, £9,600 per week.

I don’t begrudge those two their money, I’m sure they earn it, however if there were no zero hours staff there would be no game.

Yeah we all know that, but these are unprecedented times and they require unprecedented measures. Being a 'business man' should take a back seat. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Most of the staff on a match day are not employed by the club are they? 

Would assume those around the bars etc are agency staff - the ones I met in the sponsors box earlier in the season certainly were

6 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Currently at our surgery we have one young member of staff off work almost certainly with the virus, and our manager gone due to a family member in a similar situation. No deep cleaning whatever that is, as they have not been able to get a test and therefore can't confirm the diagnosis . I believe a neighbouring surgery is in a similar situation.

Today's update has confirmed the COVID Home Management Service will not be mobilised at a local level, suggesting they were not able to recruit enough idiots willing to do this job. Therefore responsibility has been handed back to the GP's or providers as we're affectionately known. As things stand we've been given about 6 of the masks that everyone knows don't work and a roll of clingfilm to protect ourselves with.

I've had a completely serious conversation with one of my partners this evening with regards to how accurately we'll be able to determine someone's need for admission over the phone on the basis of how distressed their breathing sounds, as quite frankly we're unwilling to assess these patients in person without suitable protection.

Either way I suspect many front line medics will be unavailable in the near future and my intent is not to alarm, but suggest you don't go down the pub this evening , visit the gym etc. Be as antisocial as possible.

Three points to make, firstly this is at a local level and may not represent all of you, secondly I'm very alarmed and thirdly the clingfilm was a joke , they were going to give it to us but Tesco had run out.

If there are any inaccuracies in this I apologise , but it is my understanding.

This should probably have been posted in the bigger corona thread if it's possible to move

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Zero hours does mean no work no pay though, technically- doesn't it?

It does and it’s difficult, from an employers perspective. 
The clubs will be losing the revenue (hopefully just delayed) from the times that these people would be working. 
If they aren’t taking the money, why should/could they afford to pay the people..? 

IF (I don’t think for a second that they will) the club had the grace to say “here’s your pay, in advance, for these matchdays. Just come along and do the work in leu, when things are back to normality” how many do we think would turn up and do the shift that they’d already been paid for, possibly months in advance..?! 
Maybe if it was set out that that’s the deal and you work the shift or you never get any more again...? 

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The clubs will be losing the revenue (hopefully just delayed) from the times that these people would be working. 
If they aren’t taking the money, why should/could they afford to pay the people..? 

IF (I don’t think for a second that they will) the club had the grace to say “here’s your pay, in advance, for these matchdays. Just come along and do the work in leu, when things are back to normality” how many do we think would turn up and do the shift that they’d already been paid for, possibly months in advance..?! 
Maybe if it was set out that that’s the deal and you work the shift or you never get any more again...? 

Like I say, depends on a club by club basis.

Some are, some are saying deferred- looking at the industry as a whole, or at least the PL- but then the PL is very cash rich.

This is not the PL. Some might say that the players in a show of solidarity, not necessarily for these workers but you could cross-subsidise/advance/loan too, should partially defer wages...like many not just in football but society are having to. These are remarkable times.

By the way, different club, different League, different country but I note that Amiens in France today, have imposed a 16% pay cut across the board- I say imposed, doubtless consultation but that is what has happened.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hearts have cut their players wages , not sure if Scottish Law is different.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-1-2-3-4-5-6

Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 19.55.53.png

34 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Would be nice if SL dipped into his 2 Billion to do the right thing if only for the positive publicity

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

The agency that employs the match day staff should be taking care of their employees, not the club.

I assume the agencies charge more for the people they employ than they pay them - the difference being their profit.

Foster son is employed directly by Ashton Gate, not an agency. 

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe Ashton Gate can do something, but I'd be surprised. Guess the whole zero hours thing allows them to respond to peaks in activity and need.

If the state step up of course then there will be no need. Tbh they are now increasingly seems.

Cannot help but think there's an inequity though, in that the rest of society make sacrifices to varying levels and footballers get full whack- clearly those lower down cannot afford much of a cut, but the higher they go etc...

I know contracts must be respected but these are far from normal times.

1. Fans are making sacrifices- no football on TV or matchday.
  2. Clubs are making sacrifices- no income on matchday and commercial for the foreseeable.
  3. Broadcasters are possibly losing out.
  4. Staff might be losing out.
  5. Matchday staff most definitely will be.

Players getting paid in full.

Someone explain to me how this fits, in these times in which we are living?

Archived