IGNORED

Match day Staff on Zero Hours Contracts

Angry Robin

Here's my prediction on this (FWIW). 

The matchday/casual staff will at this time as per @Dollymarie post get wished well etc.

As for support? It'll be a recommendation or suggestion for Universal Credit unless of course Government support will cover them, as one of the schemes. Of course that's an early estimate.

I'm purely surmising obvs. Well meaning but possibly a little bit crass too.

All in it together? Pffft.

On 18/03/2020 at 16:47, Dollymarie said:

Foster son works at AG during rugby games, he’s had an email this afternoon basically wishing him well (as in stay healthy) through these difficult times and they’ll be in touch, but nothing else. 

Not having a pop at Ashton Gate, just relaying the info. 

Reckon there will be **** all, periodic comms, well wishing aside. Unless a Government scheme covers it.

Objectively speaking, I won't hold my breath...

Given SL's tax status, and the Bristol Sport arrangement (ie rugby players taking a hit)- how it pans out will be interesting.

Certainly think with those elements that it is more newsworthy than many Championship clubs who don't often hit the limelight.

The furlough thing I mean but the general point too, of this- all as a big story, useful material.

I worked as match day staff at the Gate for many years. I was paid by an agency . A lot of the other match day staff also worked at Gas , Yeovil and Swindon games. A gashead used to laugh that he was paid to watch 'da shit'.  Some people on here are using this as an excuse to take a pop at our owners. Its agency work. 

Excuse to slag off owners, am unsure about that.

I'm fairly positve about SL and his stewardship of the club. Nonetheless, it surprises me that matchday staff appear to be getting left to their own devices.

Surprises me given that Leeds players have taken a hit albeit a deferred hit in order to ensure that non football staff are paid in full.

I digress however, @fatchers but unsure about your ratio or distribution of agency to directly employed matchday staff on zero hours. A post in this thread intimates that it is/was a 50/50 split.

Check posts 19 and 23 in fact. Puts it better than my guesswork if broadly accurate.

A useful question is whether staff are being furloughed using the tax payed or like Sheffield United furloughed but not using the taxpayer.

Of couese, for matchday staff that's a bit of an irrelevance. Because 100/0x80=0 I'd have thought. As in 80% of zero is zero.

Mr Popodopolus , I was just giving my personal experience of my time as match day staff working at the gate for nearly 10 years. Like others I had a full time job and only worked at the gate on match or event days . Due to my full time job change I stopped doing match day work. As me and my youngest son are season card holders I still see match day staff I use to work with. Two 'gas heads' still work in the South stand. :laugh:. I was not referring to you when I said 'quite rightly' that some people on here seem to use any excuse to have a dig at our owners. Perhaps they should take a look at the owners north of the river.

Given some of my posts some thought and happy to row back on, hold fire about a few aspects. Lot of contradictory posts in this thread about it.

1) The early coverage of furlough. Made it seem all like taxpayer, when in fact it appears to be more nuanced.

For example, Sheffield United apparently furloughed staff but without taxpayer subsidy mentioned.

Happy to hold fire- for all we know, we may well have done the same. Possibly, furlough does not automatically mean taxpayer.

2) What TuxHarry said. In fairness the furlough scheme appears to be a work in progress. Struggling to see how zero hours and casual staff covered but again may well be the case? 

3) Ultimately I trust the club to do the right thing by its employees not least as it's overseen by SL. Right thing by all in fact.

Fair enough Fatchers, crossed wires on my part with respect to that bit I think. 

More than happy to drop this issue for the foreseeable, not least due to point 3).

21 hours ago, GreedyHarry said:

Interesting, I know people on zero hours contracts that have been furloughed and are getting 80% of their average wage over the last 52 weeks and it’s part of the govt scheme.

This is correct. Mrs LR was on a zero hours contract up to March when the business was forced to close (café). She has been told they will total up her earnings for the previous 52 weeks multiply that by 80%, divide that by 12 and that is what she will get per month.

I always think its easy to spend other people's money but the clubs money is basically our money paid to the club through tickets and merchandise and the Lansdown families already generous contributions. 

I don't think it's right to press someone to tear up their contract because they earn a lot of money - it's their decision what they do with their contract and their money. They will likely have mortgages and bills and might already donate a hefty sum to charities. If they take a 50% pay cut then 40% of that cut isn't going to the tax man to be able to pay for things like the NHS, they wouldn't likely be able to make charitable donations ect ect. 

If there was a 1 off additional charge of say £20 for all season ticket holders to be able to pay for this would we be happy? I would happily pay an additional £20 so that people that work zero hours contracts could get some money but I wouldn't want it going to people that already have a full time job and are currently furloughed e.g. taking the 80% of there £28k a year job and then getting this on top.

This country has got some tough questions to answer over the next few years around how we pay for this and other things. It's going to make the previous 12 years look like a walk in the park (not to diminish anyone that's struggled through the last 12 years but don't think it's going to get easier). I can see another Marshall plan type event. 

Archived