Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
AppyDAZE

Bands that missed out (unjustly, in your opinion)

I'll start out with one I only recently found out about from the late 70s.

Took a punt on Amazon a few months back on a double CD, the complete works sort of thing by a new wave band from those times named The Flys.

Seriously people, I have not stopped playing the music of these guys. Shame they never sold much, because they are BRILLIANT.

If you like good, melodic, new wave or punk from those times, played by people who COULD play...  you will grow to love The Flys (from Coventry, btw)

Never heard a note until recently, now I am a huge fan, defo worth checking out.

Side note: The main bloke, songwriter, player was Hazel O'Connor's brother, he should have become the famous one imo.

Here's a Peel session for a starter (the title of the last track in the session is rather ironic given what happened to the band, and applies to today's situation too)

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

Please stick up your Youtube links as I am a big music fan of ALL genres.

I love The Pistols as much as I love Yes, Genesis or The Sweet or REM. Maybe I'm weird or something

Come on, be "weird" with me    MUSIC is the answer, well helps big time,  in times like these

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The Slits were a Peel favourite I seem to recall

Peel. What a guy, what a legend.

Here's another of my Youtube Peel video favs. This lot did go on to have a couple of hits, but they were defo far out (as witnessed here ) to start with before top of the pops beckoned.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Peel. What a guy, what a legend.

Here's another of my Youtube Peel video favs. This lot did go on to have a couple of hits, but they were defo far out (as witnessed here ) to start with before top of the pops beckoned.

Love Associates, a fine band

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a band that missed out (:laugh: hardly) but still quality, genius music. Queen, don't get me on these guys.. their early work is the bollocks, and yes I am drunk  because this corona shit is doing my head in.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

I have always loved this band. They released one album in 2008, but it all just seemed to fall apart quickly. 

This is the first song I ever played to my daughter that got an "instant like" reaction.

• Like 1

The Chameleons should be way more appreciated than they are. Superb band. They are playing the Fiddlers later this year (assuming the apocalypse is over by then).

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Not a band that missed out (:laugh: hardly) but still quality, genius music. Queen, don't get me on these guys.. their early work is the bollocks,

***and yes I am drunk  because this corona shit is doing my head in.

Drunk on lemonade?.. call that Drunk ? ffs 

Try a few 'top shelf' doubles mate, they'll blow your mind!  :laugh:... 😉

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

The Chameleons should be way more appreciated than they are. Superb band. They are playing the Fiddlers later this year (assuming the apocalypse is over by then).

Chameleons fan here too. Quality, loved their album covers too, done by one of the band members ? I believe.

PS Didn't the drummer die as few years back, could have this wrong

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Chameleons fan here too. Quality, loved their album covers too, done by one of the band members ? I believe.

PS Didn't the drummer die as few years back, could have this wrong

Yes to both. Can't recall which one did the album covers, might be Smithies. And sadly yes, Lever did die.

I saw Mark Burgess, under the guise of Chameleons Vox, a couple of years ago, he was excellent.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I have always loved this band. They released one album in 2008, but it all just seemed to fall apart quickly. 

This is the first song I ever played to my daughter that got an "instant like" reaction.

Just listened to this. Nice track.

4 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Yes to both. Can't recall which one did the album covers, might be Smithies. And sadly yes, Lever did die.

I saw Mark Burgess, under the guise of Chameleons Vox, a couple of years ago, he was excellent.

Intense guy when he's playing acoustic solo stuff. I had one or two unplugged type CDs or whatever it was before I moved home. My favourite track was always Soul in Isolation (quite fitting nowadays)  Brilliant stuff. think I'll start listening to them again actually

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Intense guy when he's playing acoustic solo stuff. I had one or two unplugged type CDs or whatever it was before I moved home. My favourite track was always Soul in Isolation (quite fitting nowadays)  Brilliant stuff. think I'll start listening to them again actually

The gig at The Fiddlers is the 35th anniversary tour for What Does Anything Mean? Basically. Last time I saw them was Bierkeller late 1986.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

The gig at The Fiddlers is the 35th anniversary tour for What Does Anything Mean? Basically. Last time I saw them was Bierkeller late 1986.

35 years O M G 

Life is so short, it's unfair

Edited by AppyDAZE

In the 70s there was a band fron South Wales called Lone Star, not to be confused with the mid 80s American pap band, Quartz from Birmingham,  Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath was their producer,  and Magnum also I think from Brum, watched them all down at The Granary, good bands, well one's I enjoyed watching live anyway!

3 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

In the 70s there was a band fron South Wales called Lone Star, not to be confused with the mid 80s American pap band, Quartz from Birmingham,  Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath was their producer,  and Magnum also I think from Brum, watched them all down at The Granary, good bands, well one's I enjoyed watching live anyway!

Pretty sure I had an album. Did they sound a bit like Zeppelin?

Edited by AppyDAZE

edit i did have that album, i remember it starting with that Beatles cover track.

it is a good album

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Pretty sure I had an album. Did they sound a bit like Zeppelin?

Did anyone manage to sound like Zeppelin? Probably the only rock I can listen to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

edit i did have that album, i remember it starting with that Beatles cover track.

it is a good album

Yes that's right! I'd forgotten that! Would love to listen to that album again, been 30 odd years :laugh:

7 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Yes that's right! I'd forgotten that! Would love to listen to that album again, been 30 odd years :laugh:

There's quite a lot of bits and pieces on Youtube sounding pretty good. This is turning out to be a useful thread after all.

Thanks folks.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

There's quite a lot of bits and pieces on Youtube sounding pretty good. This is turning out to be a useful thread after all.

Thanks folks.

I'll look that up later, thanks! 4 am here, guess i better get some kip!

33 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Just listened to this. Nice track.

The rest of the album is on you tube, I still feel there is nothing quite like this, certainly it's unique in my collection. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The rest of the album is on you tube, I still feel there is nothing quite like this, certainly it's unique in my collection. 

Not heard much yet, but some of the bits i have heard remind me of a softer version of a band called Whipping Boy from the 90s with the talking/singing stuff. This does sound really good. I'm glad you told me about this one. Thanks

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

I always remember a quote from (I think) the NME;

In the great supermarket that is punk, The Damned always seem to get the trolley with the wonky wheel.

Summed them up really, a bloody good band that never really got the success others of their peers did.

Another that `missed out` in the main were All About Eve with the delectable Julianne Regan on vocals. I saw them live a couple of times at the Colston and the Bierkeller and they were excellent but seemed to sink without trace. One hit with Martha`s Harbour and then nothing.

• Like 3

Thanks @AppyDAZE I can see the similarities in the first whipping boy track and I know the 2nd track from somewhere. Both good sounds. :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

In the great supermarket that is punk, The Damned always seem to get the trolley with the wonky wheel.

Summed them up really, a bloody good band that never really got the success others of their peers did.

Another that `missed out` in the main were All About Eve with the delectable Julianne Regan on vocals. I saw them live a couple of times at the Colston and the Bierkeller and they were excellent but seemed to sink without trace. One hit with Martha`s Harbour and then nothing.

Even accused of being "hippies" (as were The Stranglers) by some hardcore punks back in the day.

Massively influenced by the MC5 of course, but also by a lot of other stuff from the late 60s too.

I saw the Damned 4 times in the early 80s. Brilliant band, I love 'em.

All About Eve, I like, The Church is another great band from them times.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

:laugh: THAT TOTP appearance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

:laugh: THAT TOTP appearance.

I guess this leads us on to one hit wonders, I don't mean the kind of novelty bands that come and go, but more the bands who rarely produced things that were deemed fit for the chart music fans. Here are three I have in my collection, all on 12 inch vinyl. :) 

Also does anyone else have the excellent Avon Calling compilation that was put together in the late 70's? I often wondered why Essential Bop never went on to make the big time. From memory they were mooted in the NME as one of the bands to watch along with The Mighty Wah! and ABC amongst others. I think Steve Bush still gigs around Bristol?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I guess this leads us on to one hit wonders, I don't mean the kind of novelty bands that come and go, but more the bands who rarely produced things that were deemed fit for the chart music fans. Here are three I have in my collection, all on 12 inch vinyl. :) 

Also does anyone else have the excellent Avon Calling compilation that was put together in the late 70's? I often wondered why Essential Bop never went on to make the big time. From memory they were mooted in the NME as one of the bands to watch along with The Mighty Wah! and ABC amongst others. I think Steve Bush still gigs around Bristol?

£7.99 on Amazon download. Imagine you knew this back in 1979. Amazon? Download?  :laugh:

Not heard any of it in years, but I remember it was pretty decent.

PS 46 tracks, so many bonus tracks. Looks a bargain.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

Cutting Crew... I always had a soft spot for their hit, if we're talking about one hit wonders.

T'Pau, they had two was it? See, I told you I've like the good, the bad and the dreadful    and I wasn't lying.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Was supposed to see Jesus And Mary Chain tomorrow night at the Round House. Bloody coronavirus.

Have that same 12" single:

20200321_171112.thumb.jpg.d4784f43e9c2dc098b4dd76e0f8017c6.jpg

• Like 1

Magazine, top , top musicians  . John McGeogh who later went onto play with Siouxsie and the Banshees . 

Dave Formula , on the keyboards .

Barry Adamson , master bassist .

The poet , Howard Devoto , who didn’t want fame and fortune ( until it was too late) . 

His lyrics were ‘ bleak and easy ‘ but not very accessible for the many .

Their biggest hit was ‘ Shot by both sides ‘ but check out their debut album ‘ Real Life ‘ . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Magazine, top , top musicians  . John McGeogh who later went onto play with Siouxsie and the Banshees . 

Dave Formula , on the keyboards .

Barry Adamson , master bassist .

The poet , Howard Devoto , who didn’t want fame and fortune ( until it was too late) . 

His lyrics were ‘ bleak and easy ‘ but not very accessible for the many .

Their biggest hit was ‘ Shot by both sides ‘ but check out their debut album ‘ Real Life ‘ . 

He started out as the lead singer in The Buzzcocks but left before they really made it big.

25 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He started out as the lead singer in The Buzzcocks but left before they really made it big.

He didn’t want to be ‘ branded ‘ as a punk or restricted in his music hence , Magazine.

He was also behind the liberation of music and the Punk idea that you could do it yourself when he drafted the  ‘ Spiral Scratch ‘ EP which was recorded, distributed and sold by the Buzzcocks themselves. 

Pete Shelley wanted to make more ‘ commercial ‘ songs and made some real pop classics . 

Devoto , admitted , years later that he was a bit ‘ pretentious ‘ and wouldn’t have minded a bit more money and recognition. 

• Like 3

The Redskins, early 80s skinhead ska. Saw them at Trinity Hall in around 1983, for a striking miners benefit gig with Billy Bragg. Still a massive fan of both.

Neither Washington nor Moscow by The Redskins is still in my top 10 ever albums.

• Flames 1

21 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

BTW 

Listening right now. Really good actually.

I still have a copy of the Avon Calling LP on vinyl (as above, on Heartbeat Records), which I bought after John Peel featured it on his show for a week when it was released. First ever radio airplay for our very own (as in BCFC fans) Vice Squad, who hit the (relative) big time a couple of years later. I even had the free promo poster on my wall for years.

Anyway I used to listen to this album over and over, it was a fantastic record which demonstrated how innovative and different and deliberately 'off-trend' Bristol artists were/are.

• Like 2

On 21/03/2020 at 11:22, Lanterne Rouge said:

Yeah agree with you 

All about eve were very good live

• Like 1

9 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I still have a copy of the Avon Calling LP on vinyl (as above, on Heartbeat Records), which I bought after John Peel featured it on his show for a week when it was released. First ever radio airplay for our very own (as in BCFC fans) Vice Squad, who hit the (relative) big time a couple of years later. I even had the free promo poster on my wall for years.

Anyway I used to listen to this album over and over, it was a fantastic record which demonstrated how innovative and different and deliberately 'off-trend' Bristol artists were/are.

That was an excellent piece of vinyl, had forgotten about that, thanks!

• Like 1

On 21/03/2020 at 13:47, Port Said Red said:

I do indeed - on its recent CD reissue. Why Gl*xo Babies, Apartment and Europeans also never made waves outside our fair city is a mystery.

Also recommended Bristol Boys Make More Noise - a Bristol ska revival compilation. Blue Riverside were facking great - and I have no memory of them from the time. 

Still on a local theme, the old house arrest has given me time to dig out some records from the garage and get them digitalised. I found Temple Cloud - the Sarah records compilation from about 89/90. Been grooving in a quirky late 80s student stylee.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I do indeed - on its recent CD reissue. Why Gl*xo Babies, Apartment and Europeans also never made waves outside our fair city is a mystery.

Also recommended Bristol Boys Make More Noise - a Bristol ska revival compilation. Blue Riverside were facking great - and I have no memory of them from the time. 

Still on a local theme, the old house arrest has given me time to dig out some records from the garage and get them digitalised. I found Temple Cloud - the Sarah records compilation from about 89/90. Been grooving in a quirky late 80s student stylee.

@Red-RobboCan you remember the name of the shop on Park Street that lasted well into the 2000s and used to sell clothes out the front and cool music CDs out the back. it is bugging me. They were the reason I discovered The Shins first album because they labelled it must buy or something like that.

Right hand side going up, about half way up. if that makes sense to anyone.

Edited by AppyDAZE