IGNORED

Bands that missed out (unjustly, in your opinion)

AppyDAZE

I'll start out with one I only recently found out about from the late 70s.

Took a punt on Amazon a few months back on a double CD, the complete works sort of thing by a new wave band from those times named The Flys.

Seriously people, I have not stopped playing the music of these guys. Shame they never sold much, because they are BRILLIANT.

If you like good, melodic, new wave or punk from those times, played by people who COULD play...  you will grow to love The Flys (from Coventry, btw)

Never heard a note until recently, now I am a huge fan, defo worth checking out.

Side note: The main bloke, songwriter, player was Hazel O'Connor's brother, he should have become the famous one imo.

Here's a Peel session for a starter (the title of the last track in the session is rather ironic given what happened to the band, and applies to today's situation too)

Please stick up your Youtube links as I am a big music fan of ALL genres.

I love The Pistols as much as I love Yes, Genesis or The Sweet or REM. Maybe I'm weird or something

Come on, be "weird" with me    MUSIC is the answer, well helps big time,  in times like these

21 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The Slits were a Peel favourite I seem to recall

Peel. What a guy, what a legend.

Here's another of my Youtube Peel video favs. This lot did go on to have a couple of hits, but they were defo far out (as witnessed here ) to start with before top of the pops beckoned.

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Not a band that missed out (:laugh: hardly) but still quality, genius music. Queen, don't get me on these guys.. their early work is the bollocks,

***and yes I am drunk  because this corona shit is doing my head in.

Drunk on lemonade?.. call that Drunk ? ffs 

Try a few 'top shelf' doubles mate, they'll blow your mind!  :laugh:... ?

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

The Chameleons should be way more appreciated than they are. Superb band. They are playing the Fiddlers later this year (assuming the apocalypse is over by then).

Chameleons fan here too. Quality, loved their album covers too, done by one of the band members ? I believe.

PS Didn't the drummer die as few years back, could have this wrong

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Chameleons fan here too. Quality, loved their album covers too, done by one of the band members ? I believe.

PS Didn't the drummer die as few years back, could have this wrong

Yes to both. Can't recall which one did the album covers, might be Smithies. And sadly yes, Lever did die.

I saw Mark Burgess, under the guise of Chameleons Vox, a couple of years ago, he was excellent.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I have always loved this band. They released one album in 2008, but it all just seemed to fall apart quickly. 

This is the first song I ever played to my daughter that got an "instant like" reaction.

Just listened to this. Nice track.

4 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Yes to both. Can't recall which one did the album covers, might be Smithies. And sadly yes, Lever did die.

I saw Mark Burgess, under the guise of Chameleons Vox, a couple of years ago, he was excellent.

Intense guy when he's playing acoustic solo stuff. I had one or two unplugged type CDs or whatever it was before I moved home. My favourite track was always Soul in Isolation (quite fitting nowadays)  Brilliant stuff. think I'll start listening to them again actually

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Intense guy when he's playing acoustic solo stuff. I had one or two unplugged type CDs or whatever it was before I moved home. My favourite track was always Soul in Isolation (quite fitting nowadays)  Brilliant stuff. think I'll start listening to them again actually

The gig at The Fiddlers is the 35th anniversary tour for What Does Anything Mean? Basically. Last time I saw them was Bierkeller late 1986.

In the 70s there was a band fron South Wales called Lone Star, not to be confused with the mid 80s American pap band, Quartz from Birmingham,  Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath was their producer,  and Magnum also I think from Brum, watched them all down at The Granary, good bands, well one's I enjoyed watching live anyway!

3 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

In the 70s there was a band fron South Wales called Lone Star, not to be confused with the mid 80s American pap band, Quartz from Birmingham,  Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath was their producer,  and Magnum also I think from Brum, watched them all down at The Granary, good bands, well one's I enjoyed watching live anyway!

Pretty sure I had an album. Did they sound a bit like Zeppelin?

7 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Yes that's right! I'd forgotten that! Would love to listen to that album again, been 30 odd years :laugh:

There's quite a lot of bits and pieces on Youtube sounding pretty good. This is turning out to be a useful thread after all.

Thanks folks.

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The rest of the album is on you tube, I still feel there is nothing quite like this, certainly it's unique in my collection. 

Not heard much yet, but some of the bits i have heard remind me of a softer version of a band called Whipping Boy from the 90s with the talking/singing stuff. This does sound really good. I'm glad you told me about this one. Thanks

I always remember a quote from (I think) the NME;

In the great supermarket that is punk, The Damned always seem to get the trolley with the wonky wheel.

Summed them up really, a bloody good band that never really got the success others of their peers did.

Another that `missed out` in the main were All About Eve with the delectable Julianne Regan on vocals. I saw them live a couple of times at the Colston and the Bierkeller and they were excellent but seemed to sink without trace. One hit with Martha`s Harbour and then nothing.

Archived